Talk

Advanced search

To want to tell them to stick their fridge freezer where the sun doesn't shine?

(16 Posts)
QuickSticks Fri 20-Nov-15 09:31:07

I finally saved up £500 for a new integrated fridge freezer. A few weeks after it was delivered I noticed it was making a sound like a budgerigar was trapped inside it when the motor is running (I kid you not!) It's not overly loud, but it was driving me potty so I called out an engineer, he sent a report to the manufacturer, they agreed a replacement. Happy days.

The replacement started making the same noise the day after it was installed! The engineer is coming out this afternoon but has just phoned me and tried to say all manufacturers are having to use a new gas with a "higher boiling point" and all machines are making more noise these days.

I replied I should have been told that at the point of purchase so I could have made an informed decision on where to spend long-saved money!

He's coming at 4pm to listen to the noise again. He's a lovely bloke actually, I've no beef with him, it's the manufacturer I'm annoyed with (Blomberg). I don't want to be fobbed off with this "they're all getting noisier these days" speech.

WWYD?

chumbler Fri 20-Nov-15 09:33:54

I would demand a refund if still no joy, get a different model / make, and I'd even ask for compensation for all your wasted time!

BeeePeee Fri 20-Nov-15 09:40:17

Yes I'd keep pushing for a refund. Don't take no for an answer.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 20-Nov-15 09:43:18

my fridge freezer makes a loud cheeping sound and annoyed me to begin with but I don't even notice it now. If you are happy with it in all other ways, perhaps you can get used to the noise?

I think they are right, fridge freezers do tend to be noisy, my sisters hums loudly and is brand new (new build house).

BigGreenOlives Fri 20-Nov-15 09:54:25

We noticed this when we bought a new one, they have the decibels the fridges make as part of the spec. A SubZero fridge freezer running normally makes as much noise as my dishwasher does when it's running.

LucasIsMyMuse Fri 20-Nov-15 10:08:01

My fridge is new this year and makes no noise until the ice maker suddenly decides to do something of its own accord which then frightens the bejeezus out of me.

cashewnutty Fri 20-Nov-15 10:08:10

My Siemens one is completely silent. It is a few years old though.

chillycurtains Fri 20-Nov-15 10:09:46

No, insist on a refund. If you go to an independent electrical/white goods shop (if you can find one!) and the staff will usually be really helpful and actually know their stock. Talk to them about the problem you had and ask which models will be better. These shops nearly always price match the big stores even when on sale so do try them.

QuickSticks Fri 20-Nov-15 10:53:31

I got it from my local family-run electrical shop, they've been really great about it and swapped it as soon as the manufacturer gave me the reference number I needed to swap it. Unfortunately though I have to deal with the manufacturer first, hence the engineer coming out again today, before I can request a refund.

I told the local shop about the repeat problem with the replacement from Blomberg and I said if necessary I was willing to pay extra for another brand which would not make this noise, but obviously I can only do that if I can get Blomberg to agree to a refund.

The engineer also tried to say on the phone that all fridge freezers make this sort of noise nowadays, but I pointed out if that was the case then why did Blomberg agree to give me a replacement? Surely they would know the replacement would also make that noise and if so I should have been told about it before I made the first purchase.

I accept that appliances will make a certain amount of noise, but the squeaking/trapped bird noises are honestly driving me to distraction. I thought maybe I'd get used to them but after 7 months it was getting on my last nerve as soon as I heard it.

Stormtreader Fri 20-Nov-15 11:02:10

Silly question - are you leaving it in place but turned off for the recommended "settling in" time, or longer? Some brands recommend up to 24 hours settling time.

QuickSticks Fri 20-Nov-15 11:38:06

Not a silly question at all Stormtreader, it was installed by the local firm immediately. The instructions say "leave to stand for at least 4 hours before switching on to allow compressor oil to settle if transported horizontally". I've double-checked with the local firm and they transport all their stock vertically so they can be installed straight away.

Epilepsyhelp Fri 20-Nov-15 11:43:02

Mine sounds like a jungle frog grin it's quite cute really.

soloula Fri 20-Nov-15 11:51:19

Under the sale of goods act you don't need to deal with the manufacturer. Get the retailer to sort it. It's not fit for purpose - and you have the first engineer report as evidence of this. If they accepted the return on the basis that it was too noisy before then they can't turn round and then say that's just how it is and expect you to keep it now.

Fluffyears Fri 20-Nov-15 12:45:49

Mine is fairly new and self defrosting, it makes the same noise-think it's normal but the other night it actually mooed like a cow!

OurBlanche Fri 20-Nov-15 12:55:47

I have a brand new American style fridge freezer. It does make a noise every now and then, they warn in the bumf about it. But it doesn't do it often, and it doesn't sing like a canary.

They are trying it on. Get a different make.

pudcat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:03:10

My fridge does that. I got used to it. If the radio is on I don't notice it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now