Talk

Advanced search

Naked woman in sauna

(255 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Thu 19-Nov-15 20:48:51

This just happened, local leisure center a young woman walked into the sauna naked. Someone else immediatly said to her "you can't be in here like that love, its not allowed". She replied I'm German, this is sauna, does this offend you?. The other woman said no, but it is the rules. The naked woman then went on about how she always does it, sauna doesn't work unless your naked and everywhere else in Europe does this.

Some young men opened the sauna door, and closed it immediately when they saw her. She laughed and said back " its OK you can come in". She clearly heard people telling her it wasn't allowed and was enjoying the attention she got.

I kind of see her point about prefering to be naked, but there are rules in place and she was obviously making other people uncomfortable.

Was I bu to tell reception on the way out?

catgirl1976 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:50:10

Meh I think you should be naked in a sauna

But if the rules are no nudity then YANBU

londonrach Thu 19-Nov-15 20:54:05

Shes right its normal to be naked in the sauna

BubsandMoo Thu 19-Nov-15 20:56:48

I would also like to be on the naked side in a sauna. But rulez iz rulez. The point isn't her comfort about being naked in public, it is other people's comfort about being around a naked woman, which is not generally socially acceptable in the UK like it is in Germany & other countries.

I assume there was a sign on the wall or similar saying bathing costumes should be worn at all times? If so YANBU and the leisure centre staff should have a word with her.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:56:52

Turn the other cheek..........grin

3sugarsplease Thu 19-Nov-15 20:59:12

Are there actual sign posted rules that say no nudity? If not then YABU.

I don't think she was liking the attention. I think she probably found it funny that her nudity was such an issue and shocked others - because in Germany and other countries most wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

MagicalHamSandwich Thu 19-Nov-15 20:59:16

YABU, she's right, you're supposed to be naked in a sauna. It's much cleaner that way.

I currently live in Switzerland and I'm reasonably certain that nakedness is compulsory at most saunas around here - female only as well as mixed. Never bothered me - it's kind of like a naked beach: stops being sexy when everyone has everything on show. grin

reni2 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:01:00

I understand why it's nicer not to wear clingy swimwear in the sauna, but local custom is different and her naked presence means other people won't use the sauna at all. That is selfish. When in Rome and all that.

MagicalHamSandwich Thu 19-Nov-15 21:03:22

What does everyone think one is supposed to wear in a sauna anyway? A bikini?

Back when I lived in England I only ever went to one marketed as 'traditionally Finnish' and hence naked-friendly?

DyslexicScientist Thu 19-Nov-15 21:04:43

Yes there are signs up.

She reminded me of someone on holiday wanting to go somewhere where shoulders are not allowed and demanding she should be allowed.

A guy last year was frogmarched and banned for doing the same.

3sugarsplease Thu 19-Nov-15 21:11:11

To me I get the impression that it rather offended you - rather than in your OP when you suggested it was other people that you were concerned it offended.

There's a huge stigma attached to the being naked.. You just need to get past the sexualisation of it

someonestolemynick Thu 19-Nov-15 21:11:53

Speaking as a nudist German:
She is BU. In Germany most Sauna rules specify that you must be naked and Sauna is a bit of waste of time (as well as icky) if you are in swim wear BUT she wasn't in Germany and made everyone else uncomfortable. You should have complained to pool staff at the time.

DyslexicScientist Thu 19-Nov-15 21:18:45

The nakedness didn't offend me.

The breaking of rules, because she wanted to and the selfishness of her did annoy me though. Just as the people with their shitty artificial scents that they use in there, even though these are not allowed and often give me a headache.

VinylScratch Thu 19-Nov-15 21:21:47

She was BU and arrogant to think the rules don't apply to her because it's done differently in Germany.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 19-Nov-15 21:26:43

She's a twat
I don't care if you are supposed to be naked in saunas or if people do it in Germany - in the uk we don't do public nudity and I would be pissed off if I saw that.

OnceAMeerNotAlwaysAMeer Thu 19-Nov-15 21:32:14

Huge amount of fuss in the UK about nudity, the whole thing is a bit sad.

But if them's the rules, then they should be observed. When in Rome ...

Iggi999 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:32:46

I don't see how anyone is saying she was in the right. You could argue it's better to be naked, but she was not "right" to be naked when it was against the rules of the sauna. And yy confusing and uncomfortable for other users.

Hillfarmer Thu 19-Nov-15 21:33:05

I was in Austria and went into a sauna with my mate and we both had our swimming costumes on. Everyone stared at us and it was obvious we were the only ones NOT naked. We left and came back with no kit on and everyone was happy!

Crazypetlady Thu 19-Nov-15 21:33:13

I am never visiting a spa I would combust with awkwardness if I walked in to a sauna full of naked people.

gingerdad Thu 19-Nov-15 21:34:32

In most of the world in saunas you'd be naked. But the Brits are a strange race.

motherinferior Thu 19-Nov-15 21:34:48

Swimsuits in saunas v bad idea. You'll get thrush.

TaliZorah Thu 19-Nov-15 21:35:27

YABU why dob someone in for something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

BarbaraofSeville Thu 19-Nov-15 21:36:14

A public baths with a sauna near me (UK) specifies that 'swimwear must be worn' during mixed sessions, which presumably suggests that nudity is allowed during single sex sessions - I've only been once or twice myself and I do remember seeing a naked woman there.

Being typically British I wouldn't go naked myself or complain about someone else doing so, but I wouldn't be offended or complain about this woman's rule breaking.

I've also been in a spa within a fun pool complex in Scandinavia but that was swimwear on but only after a very public and thorough shower in single sex changing rooms.

Alexjoy Thu 19-Nov-15 21:38:35

Jesus.

No, no, no! This is England, no nudity please.

Fwiw I was once in a sauna in Germany and everyone was nekkid. Guy dropped something on the floor... That was my childhood over!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 19-Nov-15 21:39:33

A question for those of you who are European and have used saunas regularly in the countries mentioned - is everyone relaxed about all nudity?

Are there ever awkward moments if you bump into say, your boss or father in law or DCs head teacher in there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now