Talk

Advanced search

To think that 8.30pm is too late for The Red Cross to be knocking on my door?

(14 Posts)
Notimefortossers Thu 19-Nov-15 20:30:02

Just that grin

AmyLouKin Thu 19-Nov-15 20:34:26

It is too late. They are not the only ones that do it though!

Zucker Thu 19-Nov-15 20:40:46

In the last 15 minutes I've had a phonewatch alarm company and unicef at the door. Both were given short shrift despite trying to be my bestest buddy within 10 seconds. Far too late.

GloGirl Thu 19-Nov-15 20:41:57

YANBU I really really get cross at people who do it

twirlypoo Thu 19-Nov-15 20:43:32

Do you live in my street?! I've just told them to sod off.... I never give to door to door knockers. It feels so rude of them!

Notimefortossers Thu 19-Nov-15 20:45:29

I agree! It's like cornering you in your safe space!

twirlypoo Thu 19-Nov-15 20:50:11

I had no bra on under my pjama top. The poor buggers will be scarred for life after entering my safe space grin

Notimefortossers Thu 19-Nov-15 20:51:11

Haha! Serves them right! grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 19-Nov-15 22:13:10

I never answer my door. DD has a key obviously and DP texts/phones when he's coming over.

ShebaShimmyShake Thu 19-Nov-15 22:17:32

"Do you have a flat surface I could use to show you this?"

You are not crossing the threshold, especially not with a line as weak as that. Piss off.

The latest tactic seems to be simply ignoring you when you say "It's not a good time" or "I don't sign up for things on the door" and carrying on with the spiel as if you haven't said anything. Makes it easier to close the door on them, though, since it's not actually a conversation if they're not responding to anything you say.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 19-Nov-15 23:06:13

I actually put in a complaint about one of their door-to-door people last year. Turned up and gave a great spiel, I was interested in donating money, as long as it was a one time donation, not a monthly payment. The girl was writing in my details, all hurried stating she had to have it done by a certain time because they weren't allowed to sign people up after a certain time. Assured me it was a one time payment of £20. Fucking raging to notice two months after that it was a direct debit.

NewLife4Me Thu 19-Nov-15 23:07:53

By law they are allowed to knock until 9pm, after this they can be reported to Police.

I think 8.30 is too late, but wouldn't answer the door anyway.

celtictoast Thu 19-Nov-15 23:11:27

YANBU

Gingefringe Thu 19-Nov-15 23:21:09

We allowed a young girl into the house quite late one evening because it was raining and we felt sorry for her and were going to sign up to a cancer charity.
While she was in our living room going through her script her supervisor rang her on her mobile - we could hear the conversation because he had such a loud voice. He told her to 'just get them to sign the direct debit as soon as possible then get out of the house quickly'! We were not amused and didn't sign up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now