Talk

Advanced search

To think no one cares who the song 'You're so vain' was written about?

(145 Posts)
Fantasyland Thu 19-Nov-15 17:59:53

Honestly I think I may be a bit unreasonable but It's not a mystery everyone is dying to find out or are they??
The way it's wrote about in the media it's the greatest unsolved mystery we must find out.
One guy paid a load of money to find out who Carly Simon wrote the song about but was sworn to secrecy and now he must be incredibly pissed off as Carly Simon has said one verse of the song is about Warren Beattie after previously swearing she would never say.
But now apparently has 'let slip' the song is about 3 men and not just 1.
I think she is making up the 3 men now to cause more 'mystery'.
Does anyone care who the song is about?

southeastastra Thu 19-Nov-15 18:00:53

sort of who is it then?

laffymeal Thu 19-Nov-15 18:02:42

She said years ago it was about more than one person, another name in the frame is James Taylor. Seems odd to make a thread about it when you profess not to care.

AuntieStella Thu 19-Nov-15 18:03:17

It might depend on how old you are.

It was a bit of a thing when the song first came out in 1972, so if you remember that directly you may well be still interested in the solution to the mystery.

Fantasyland Thu 19-Nov-15 18:07:24

Laffy My thread is asking if people are really that bothered who it is as its portrayed in the media as a great mystery and I dont think it is , it's just a song

pinotblush Thu 19-Nov-15 18:08:49

She was probably off her face at the time anyway so can't even remember. I don't care though and neither should you. Some things will never be solved and so what really.

Is there some sort of argument going on about it with someone, hence your thread?

laffymeal Thu 19-Nov-15 18:10:14

As Stella says if you were around in 1972 it was quite a thing and many from that era are probably still genuinely curious. It's a great song, Simon is a genius.

Potterwolfie Thu 19-Nov-15 18:10:17

I'm not that bothered about whom it was writ, but it's still a cracking, timeless track. (Apart from the way she pronounces 'apricot', which enrages me every time.)

GwynethPaltrowIamNot Thu 19-Nov-15 18:10:47

I want to know now !

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 19-Nov-15 18:12:05

I love that song

Kingfisherfree Thu 19-Nov-15 18:12:15

I would like to know.

originalmavis Thu 19-Nov-15 18:13:41

I always thought it was Warren Beatty. I also always thought it was a silly song.

laffymeal Thu 19-Nov-15 18:15:01

Mick jagger was another possible.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 19-Nov-15 18:20:28

Does anyone care who the song is about. Well I've always been curious and so must you be, well its certainly important enough to you to start this thread,

NinaSimoneful Thu 19-Nov-15 18:22:29

* Sigh * It's been 43 years, time to come clean. The song's about me. I'm so vain.

Bunbaker Thu 19-Nov-15 18:25:26

I always thought it was about James Taylor. I love the song.

I always thought it was Mick Jagger, don't really care tbh its just a song smile

MrsHarveySpecter Thu 19-Nov-15 18:29:01

I've always thought it was about Warren Beattie. I thought that was well known confused

Fantasyland Thu 19-Nov-15 18:29:33

People are totally missing the point of this thread!
I don't care but feel the media and everyone else think everyone should care who it is about.
That is what the thread is about. You can write a thread about something you don't care about you know

nancy75 Thu 19-Nov-15 18:30:08

I thought it was about warren Beatty, unlikely to be mick Jagger, he sings backing vocals on the song!

Narp Thu 19-Nov-15 18:32:43

Does the media talk about this a lot then?

I don't think I'm aware of the right kind of media.

I always thought it was Warren Beatty

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 19-Nov-15 18:33:47

I always thought Warren Beaty

wowfudge Thu 19-Nov-15 18:34:25

As Mick Jagger sings backing vocals on it, he'd have to be either a) clueless; or b) extremely vain.

Sparklingbrook Thu 19-Nov-15 18:37:58

I don't care. Has something happened meaning I should care. confused

BitOutOfPractice Thu 19-Nov-15 18:38:41

This is a very topical thread! grin

wowfudge I suspect he may be both of those! wink

Don't think it's about Jagger though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now