Talk

Advanced search

To worry about my baldy toddler?

(37 Posts)
BettyBi0 Thu 19-Nov-15 15:51:39

My DD is nearly 2 and only has the lightest little dusting of hair about 2 cm at its longest and v v thin. I've got pretty used to people commenting on it but it still pees me off when people mention it.

I'm starting to worry a bit about it now as her toddler mates all have lovely long hair. Am I worrying over nothing?

My not sure if she is really just a psycho friend bought her a bunch of clips, bows and hair bobbles the other day that we won't need anytime in the near future unless the hair fairy visits or I buy her a friggin wig. I just said "thanks, I'm sure they will come in handy soon" but inside I was fuming. AIBU to want to clock her or cry?

GloGirl Thu 19-Nov-15 15:54:16

A family member was nearly bald for years, I think she grew fine blonde hair at about 3 ish and her hair was perfectly normal after that. She might have been older than 3 but not younger.

Don't worry flowers

catfordbetty Thu 19-Nov-15 15:54:34

I have no idea whether this is normal or not. Have you sought a medical opinion?

swooosh Thu 19-Nov-15 15:58:57

I didn't have hair til late into my 2nd year. It was fine and white blonde after that and now is just normal!

BettyBi0 Thu 19-Nov-15 15:59:16

I'm just thinking it will grow when it's ready. It's more my friend's gift / dig that I'm worrying over

SiegeofEnnis Thu 19-Nov-15 15:59:31

A friend's daughter had exactly this issue till she was rising 3.5/4. I was reminded of it only yesterday when I saw an old photograph opf her next to her best friend, who has had a huge, thick mane of dark brown hair since very young. My friend did worry privately about it, I know, but kept her DD's hair clipped short (rather than a wispy combover) - by maybe 3 it looked rather chic in a Mia Farrow pixie cut way, and now she's in reception, she has a fabulous mass of glossy jaw-length golden waves. In fact she has unusual and beautiful hair now.

Kessy2 Thu 19-Nov-15 16:00:13

My friends Dd was almost bald until she was 4 but has loads of hair now.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 16:00:29

I'm pretty sure my Godaughter was a baldy at 3. She is 20 now and has really gorgeous thick long blonde hair. Not sure when the hair kicked in but she certainly wasn't a baldy when she started school.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 19-Nov-15 16:01:32

Aww my dd was almost bald untill she was 4. They this long thick hair just seem to appear over night.
People used to joke all the time say when we were going to parties ect or to family occasions. Saying lighthouse will be all day doing little lighthouse's hair. I just used to take it good form. I was only a laugh and no malice intended at all.

FindoGask Thu 19-Nov-15 16:01:33

I was the same. Loads of toddlers are follicularly challenged until they get to 3 or 4.

TheUltimate Thu 19-Nov-15 16:02:52

This is just my own observation and nothing scientific but when I worked as a nursery nurse, I noticed the children who's hair grew at a toddler age were more likely to have curly hair.

I don't know if it means your DD will have curly hair but I wouldn't be worried about it at 2.

UmbongoUnchained Thu 19-Nov-15 16:02:54

I was completely bald till I was 3. Now I have the most ridiculous thick hair that my hairdresser has to thin out for me every 2 weeks, taking enough off to fill a carrier bag!

catfordbetty Thu 19-Nov-15 16:03:50

It looks as though you friend's gift won't be wasted after all. As for determining psych status, I'd wait for more evidence.

Redglitter Thu 19-Nov-15 16:06:10

My niece was a wee baldy. Now her hair is long thick and in fantastic condition.

Sugarsugar123 Thu 19-Nov-15 16:07:41

My DD was pretty much bald till about 5! Even then her pony tail was about a cm long ! Its long and thick now (she's 14) but was fine and quite short till she was about 8 shock

FishOn Thu 19-Nov-15 16:10:17

I was a baldy too - got masses of hair now grin

munkisocks Thu 19-Nov-15 16:11:23

Little girl I knew was bald until 3 then grew really white blonde thick hair. Looked beautiful. My baby is 5 months and only has a few ginger hairs. I'm considering grabbing an orange crayon and colouring her in grin her cousin had loads of dark haired which has gone blonde at now 12 months lol

MummyPig24 Thu 19-Nov-15 16:14:17

Don't worry. At 2 dd had a very tiny, white blonde mullet going on. She was bald for ages. By 3 she had proper hair. She's now nearly 6 and we've kept it in a Bob as it was very fine but it's pretty thick now and she wants to grow it so we are giving it a go. It's shoulder length now.

rubymallorywhite Thu 19-Nov-15 16:23:08

Mine is 2.5,
She is really fair & her hair is really short.
I get it trimmed regularly & do get hair envy but it'll grow!!!
No point worrying yourself.
The gift was probably a bit thoughtless.
We have a box full of that tat,
Nana/ teddies etc get their hair done. I wouldn't waste time being offended by it!

Choughed Thu 19-Nov-15 16:27:54

DD was bald until 3. She has lovely hair now. Poker straight and white blonde.

You will look back on her bald days with fondness once you commence hair brushing battles smile

It never occurred to me to bring her to the doctor. Hats are your friend.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 20-Nov-15 12:00:19

I was really baldy as a child, until about 5yo. It got thicker through primary school and I now have enough hair for several people.

Minisoksmakehardwork Fri 20-Nov-15 12:19:54

I'd not worry. My eldest 2 nieces had such fine, fair hair as babies it looked like it'd never grow. By the time they were at school, they had fine heads of hair. It's nor gorgeously thick. My own on the other hand, eldest 2 were pretty standard. Dd2 (a twin) was born with long hair on top. Looked like she had a massive comb forward compared to her twin brother. Now he has thick hair, hers is less thick but a mass of curls. It's always been a bugger to manage. I'd say be thankful you don't have the daily battle of tangles with a little one.

BarbarianMum Fri 20-Nov-15 12:21:10

That was dn until age 2.5. Hair will come.

MuddlingMackem Fri 20-Nov-15 12:30:48

DD was bald until her hair started growing at about two and a half. It's very slow growing but was curly until it got past her shoulders. It still has a bit of curl in now.

It does look a bit odd when they're in a party frock but have no hair for ribbons though. smile On the plus side, if your bald toddler is a messy eater it's a breeze to wipe over their head with a wet flannel. My friend used to have to put her DD - who had masses of hair - in the bath after meals, so there is at least one advantage to baldy toddlers. grin

Leelu6 Fri 20-Nov-15 12:33:29

You should shave the baby's hair (I think many people use electric razor). Please check best method online.

You will definitely notice baby's hair will come back stronger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now