Talk

Advanced search

to want to be sick

(19 Posts)
minniebear Thu 19-Nov-15 13:15:09

when my MIL and four SILs use baby talk?

In fairness, I have two babies, so it's not directed at me, and I know it's the norm for them and how they grew up. My MIL and her sister talk to each other using baby talk at times (cringe). My family would never in a million years speak like that, and I speak to my 17 month old pretty much in my normal voice.

I'm talking "'Ello boo-i-ful" (no 't' and mispronounced) as a greeting, followed by words like "ickle" and "bubba". All.the.time.

Drives me bloody mental. Am I just full of hormones (3 week old DD2) and irrational for wanting to projectile vomit in their general direction?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 19-Nov-15 13:16:19

I speak to my cat like that blush

Tbf he probably feels quite sick about it.

Sighing Thu 19-Nov-15 13:17:39

YANBU. My DD1 (9) seems to think it hysterical to talk to my bump like this at the moment. I've taken to leaving the room.

Diddlydokey Thu 19-Nov-15 13:17:43

YANBU but only because you're one big hormone. Otherwise, they're only doting on their GDC/DN

CocktailQueen Thu 19-Nov-15 13:18:48

Well, I hate baby talk LIKE THAT, but I generally spoke to my babies in a high, light voice and used simple words and replied to myself:

What a lovely day! Look, the sun's shining. Can you see? Can you see the butterfly. It's pretty! - etc.

You automatically do this, I think, as a parent. There is some scientific reason behind it and babies do respond to it, but I loathe 'ickle' and 'bubba' as they don't teach anything. Chavvy!

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 19-Nov-15 13:20:08

I think live and let live but then you say 'My MIL and her sister talk to each other using baby talk at times'. and then I think nuke them from space.

CocktailQueen Thu 19-Nov-15 13:20:23

And it also reinforces their relationship with the baby - you can say things like 'who's a gorgeous girl, then? Yes, you are, aren't you? You're the most gorgeous baby' that you wouldn't say to anyone else

apart from your cat

I quite miss baby talk. Now I speak in a normal voice shout at mine.

SchnooSchnoo Thu 19-Nov-15 13:28:11

YABU. I speak to my baby in a stupid voice all the the time and call her lots of silly names. That's what babies are for, isn't it? grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 19-Nov-15 13:29:55

I talk like that baby animalsblush.
I go all daft. "Heyo boootiful". Aren't you dordgeous. "
No wonder they look at me funny. And I'd shit if one answered me. I just can't resist cooing over ridiculously adorable things. grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 19-Nov-15 13:30:20

To baby animals

BeautifulLiar Thu 19-Nov-15 13:31:33

Oh god I think we're part of the same family. It KILLS me!

When DD1 was 6 months MIL sang to her "Row, row, row your boat you boo-ti-ful ikkle bitch!" shock

minniebear Thu 19-Nov-15 13:39:13

Do you think I can leave the room when they do it? It drives me fucking demented. I don't think sleep deprivation improves my patience...

VestalVirgin Thu 19-Nov-15 13:42:15

Tell them that you don't like it. If the continue, you are justified in leaving the room. They can watch the children while you get some sleep. ;)

QueenArseClangers Thu 19-Nov-15 14:18:07

Wtf BeautifulLiar??!!!!
What did you say to her?

Jw35 Thu 19-Nov-15 14:32:13

Yabu it's a scientific fact apparently that babies prefer a higher pitch in tone and respond better. Anyway you're hormonal I agree!

DonkeyOaty Thu 19-Nov-15 14:34:08

Talking to babies in baby talk = good

Talking to adults in baby talk = REEEEVOLTING. I bet they say bockle as well as ickle. Bleurgh.

Yanbu.

DannyFishcharge Thu 19-Nov-15 14:41:48

YANBU. My SIL uses baby talk to talk to other adults. I think she thinks it's cute.

minniebear Thu 19-Nov-15 15:07:59

I suppose I talk in a higher/slower voice to my DDs, it's more the content than delivery of their speech?

BeautifulLiar Thu 19-Nov-15 16:24:24

Errr I just kind of nervously laughed blush not very assertive!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now