Talk

Advanced search

To not want DD (5) to go to her dads this weekend.

(29 Posts)
Hairyfairybumscary Thu 19-Nov-15 09:40:31

Hi all, DD (5) usually goes to see her dad every weekend, he picks her up at 4:30pm Friday and fetches her back around the same time on a Sunday afternoon.

We moved 55 miles away almost two years ago and this has been the arrangement ever since. He missed last weekend because his car was in the garage so he couldn't get over to pick her up or take her back if I had taken her over.

Snow has been forecast over the weekend, more so where he lives. The route to his place is over higher moor land which is notorious in winter for accumulating snow.

I have a little bit of a conundrum, DDs dad would still like to have her this weekend as the snow wot be arriving until Saturday supposedly so it will be safe for him to drive here and back on Friday evening. He has said that if it does snow Saturday-Sunday then he won't risk bringing her back for school on Monday.

I've suggested that he misses another weekend but then that means he has my had her for 2 weekends, on the other hand I'm not particularly happy with the possibility of her missing school.

WIBU to cancel this weekend?

NealCaffreysHat Thu 19-Nov-15 09:48:02

YABU your DD will be missing out on time with her Dad. One day off school at the age of 5 will do no harm. Also if the snow is as bad as you think will schools open?

Mrscog Thu 19-Nov-15 09:48:39

Could he do something a bit different just for this weekend - collect her as normal and just take her out for a few hours? That way he gets to see her but doesn't risk travelling in bad weather.

StanSmithsChin Thu 19-Nov-15 09:48:57

Yes YABU. How much snow is actually forecast because unless it is of blizzard proportions I can't really see the danger. Plus I rarely trust weather forecasts. Are you in the uk?

I would play it by ear and allow him to collect her as normal. A snowstorm could happen on a Saturday and be washed away by Sunday.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 19-Nov-15 09:49:06

Missing school isn't good.

Can't he collect her Friday and bring her back Saturday, before the snow?

Then nobody risks driving in bad conditions and she still gets to see her dad?

Is there any reason it has to be "the whole weekend or nothing"?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 19-Nov-15 09:50:46

Missing school is bad.

Can't he collect her on Friday and bring her back Saturday, before it snows?

That way, nobody has to risk driving in bad conditions and she still gets to see her dad.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 19-Nov-15 09:51:28

No idea why that split. Sorry.

titchy Thu 19-Nov-15 09:57:30

Why does he have her every weekend? You should have weekends with her too.

Hairyfairybumscary Thu 19-Nov-15 09:57:41

He will want to have her for the whole weekend, I'm uneasy about it I really am.

The school she attends is a village school, most of the teachers and children live within walking distance of the school so not much chance of it being shut.

He's lied to me before about DD being ill so that he could have her for an extra two days, I confronted him when DD insisted afterwards that she hadn't been poorly at all and he said that she had wanted to stay with him a little longer.

Half of me thinks he's hoping to get snowed in with her so he gets that extra day or two which if it happens is fine but I don't want it becoming a regular occurrence.

Hairyfairybumscary Thu 19-Nov-15 09:58:31

I get her all week and don't actually mind having weekends to myself as selfish as that sounds, plus, I work Saturdays so it's just easier and everyone is happy.

Maryz Thu 19-Nov-15 10:02:37

It's only November. There is another three months of possible snow to come - you can't stop her from seeing her dad every time the weather is bad.

OddlyLogical Thu 19-Nov-15 10:03:07

YABU You can't plan your life around a weather forecast that might or might not be accurate, even if it is, it might not even be that bad.
What are you going to do if more snow is forecast next weekend and the weekend after?

Hairyfairybumscary Thu 19-Nov-15 10:05:15

Fair enough I suppose. I will just have to see what this weekend brings.

MissFitt68 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:10:34

The 'snow' won't hang around long it's too mild! Yabu

carbcraver Thu 19-Nov-15 10:10:35

I don't think YABU to feel that way, but YABU to stop them seeing each other.

Mehitabel6 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:17:09

I think it is quite understandable as a reason if she misses a day off school. Seeing snow would be educational!

BarbarianMum Thu 19-Nov-15 10:18:04

I'm not sure there is a right answer to this but I would let her go. Spending time with her dad is important and at 5 a day off school is neither here nor there.

Mehitabel6 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:18:42

The forecast may be wrong anyway.

Fieryfighter Thu 19-Nov-15 10:22:47

From what I've read it seems unlikely any snow is going to be bad enough to make traveling difficult, I'd be inclined to let her go, even if she does miss a day of school she's only 5 so it's really not a biggie.

Just on another note, do you mind not having any weekend time with your DD? I'm asking as my exh has my kids every third weekend with time in the week on the other weeks as he lives close.

He's thinking of moving away and wanted to have the boys every weekend and I am really upset at the idea as we do loads of things at weekends and couldn't imagine never having them on weekends.

DeepBlueLake Thu 19-Nov-15 10:25:30

YABU.

There's a chance that it won't snow, and if it does, most probably the conditions will be still drivable.

Where I grew up, if it snowed unless a big dump of snow, you just got on things. You can't let weather dictate your life.

Dragonsdaughter Thu 19-Nov-15 10:42:32

At 5 contact with her father is more important that a vauge possibility of missing a day at school . Middle of her GCSEs a different thing - at 5 emotional wellbeing way more significant.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 19-Nov-15 11:08:01

Is he going to take responsibility for notifying the school on Monday morning if he can't cross the moors or will that be ex-wife work? If you are worried that he will be lying about it, let him lie to the school and not make you tell his lies for him.

It's fairly straightforward in that once the AA or RAC say that the road is clear then she needs to be brought to school or it will be an unauthorised absence regardless of her age?

I'd be pretty hacked off if he was trying to cross in bad weather though - that would be much worse than missing a few hours of reception.

whois Thu 19-Nov-15 11:10:23

Yup I'm with everyone else who says it's much more important for her to spend time with her dad than the tiny chance she might miss a few hours school because it might snow and the road might be blocked.

Janeymoo50 Thu 19-Nov-15 11:22:28

What has been the arrangement in the past (two years?) when there has been bad weather of any sort? Have weekends been cancelled then? Are you working this Saturday?

I'd let her go, bad weather or not.

Is there something else behind this reluctance?

longtimelurking Thu 19-Nov-15 12:43:48

I think YABU, you can't plan contact time around the weather forecast. I suspect if you are being really honest with yourself you simply don't want him to have her at all, based on the back story?

Chances are if it snows heavily enough to block the roads the school would be closed anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now