Talk

Advanced search

Bedbugs? Urgent

(23 Posts)
Thisusernamewasavailable Thu 19-Nov-15 08:00:24

Hello
I'm hoping someone can help me identify this little bug.
Noticed a few of them in my bed last night, haven't slept yet and on the way to work so can't do much at the moment, although I am freaking out.
Please tell me someone has experience with bed bugs and can offer some advice while I'm feeling really helpless!!

GlitteryFluff Thu 19-Nov-15 08:02:43

Is it a weevil?

RoboticSealpup Thu 19-Nov-15 08:04:14

You need to take a close up picture. It's not really possible to see.

GlitteryFluff Thu 19-Nov-15 08:05:49

And against a coin for size comparison.

ToysDontWorkNoMore Thu 19-Nov-15 08:06:06

They don't look like bed bugs at all. No real idea what they are, though.

RoboticSealpup Thu 19-Nov-15 08:07:38

If it is, do not use any sprays you can buy in shops as these will only cause them to hide and become much more difficult to root out. You need to call in professionals who will spray your bedframe, because they sometimes hide near the bed but always return at night to bite you. (Horrible, I know!)

catsrus Thu 19-Nov-15 08:09:30

Wrong shape for bed bug - agree with glittery - weevil. Very characteristic shape. Nothing to worry about, just Hoover them up and give the room a good vacuum. Check kitchen cupboards incase it's a flour weevil and you've got an infestation in there.

Thisusernamewasavailable Thu 19-Nov-15 08:13:02

I've killed this one now but they are pretty small, I haven't seen any in my kitchen though just in my bed and around bedroom

RoboticSealpup Thu 19-Nov-15 08:16:56

Bedbugs are brown and kind of transparent. They are extremely difficult to squash. Agree with pp that this does not look like one.

Undertone Thu 19-Nov-15 08:31:01

Definitely not a bed bug.

tis a weevil, do you have any plants in your bedroom? the eggs can grow in soil which is why you might have more than one, how many are there? agree with PP dispose of hoover up they are harmless. except to plants as they destroy the roots. info here

Birdsgottafly Thu 19-Nov-15 08:34:31

Ive seen and had bed bugs, that isn't a bed bug.

Flea bombs usually kill off everything, you'll even find dead spiders that you had no idea were in your room.

Thisusernamewasavailable Thu 19-Nov-15 08:55:07

I keep my guinea pigs food in my room but haven't seen any of the bugs in the food just all over the bedroom there are loads

Unremarkable Thu 19-Nov-15 09:11:34

We had weevils in the bedroom and they turned out to be living (eating, breeding) in one of those grain bags you can microwave (for back pain). I'd move that guinea pig food!

Stripyhoglets Thu 19-Nov-15 09:23:00

Have you been bitten at all? You tend to get the bedbug bites before you ever find a bug.

Only1scoop Thu 19-Nov-15 09:28:24

It's definitely not a bed bug....Get rid of the animal feed from your bedroom.

Get everything out of room good steam of mattress and carpets....boil wash bed clothes.

DisneyMillie Thu 19-Nov-15 09:37:04

Not a bed bug - DP had bedbugs (brought home from his holiday) at his old house - horrible things but much rounder than that.

catsrus Thu 19-Nov-15 11:25:27

once you remove the source of their food - the G Pig food is very likely - then they will go - they don't live on people or bedding, they need real food smile

Thisusernamewasavailable Thu 19-Nov-15 12:13:25

I'm so relieved knowing it isn't bed bugs, it's weevils and i'm a twat for keeping pet food in my room without proper containers. I've hoovered loads and binned all bed sheets and bedding oh and binned pet food. Anybody know if that will do it? Anything else I can do?

ingeniousidiot Thu 19-Nov-15 12:23:39

Google image weevils and find out which you have got in case they're in your kitchen too. Sounds like an animal feed problem though, and once it's gone they'll die off and won't be a problem anymore. Do the guinea pigs live in the house?

a wash would have done, and food rehoused outside, seems a bit drastic binning, they aren't poisonous confused

Allalonenow Thu 19-Nov-15 17:36:42

No need to throw your sheets out, just wash on a hot wash.

catsrus Thu 19-Nov-15 19:08:03

blimey - they're only insects, do you bin the sheets if you see a spider or a fly in the room? Just wash them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now