Talk

Advanced search

What's wrong with me? Is it my thyroid?

(9 Posts)
ThatsHowYouGetAnts Wed 18-Nov-15 15:21:55

Just after anecdotal opinions - I have been to the doc and am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for blood test results <drums fingers>

(A) I have gained weight despite no change in diet. Not that much, maybe a stone (scales broke and I didn't replace, so haven't weighed in months). I was a healthy weight before and still am, but clothes that used to fit now don't, and clothes that used to be loose are now snug. Gain seems to have plateaued, partly because:

(B) my appetite has gone weird. I don't really get hungry. I get the odd pang, but feel full after eating not very much.

(C) my hair is thinning sad. Not falling out in chunks or anything, but it seems to come out easily, and looks sad and flat. I also realised recently that I haven't needed to pluck my eyebrows in ages, whereas this used to be a regular duty. Eyebrows also look thin and need shading with a pencil. Never thought I'd miss my little monobrow shock

(D) general sluggish feeling, lack of energy and motivation. Fogged thinking.

I initially assumed it was iron deficiency, but Dr also mentioned thyroid. Having looked up the symptoms I can see I have some of them.

If it is this, can it be "cured" or is it a case of managing symptoms for the rest of my life? If the cause is iodine deficiency presumably I can just take supplements?

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Wed 18-Nov-15 15:22:50

Shit, thought I was in Chat. Sorry. Erm. AIBU to think I might have this? blush

AlbertHerbertHawkins Wed 18-Nov-15 15:42:35

Menopause??

Northernnights Wed 18-Nov-15 15:46:02

Sounds like thyroid. Can't be cured but controlled with medication.
Your hair won't gain thickness but medication will stop further thinning.
Good luck.

Junosmum Wed 18-Nov-15 15:47:35

Sounds thyroid like. It's manageable on tablets- can take a while to get the right levels, for example it's taken me ages to convince my doctor that I feel better with my levels at the lower end of normal, but now I have I feel well and most of my symptoms have gone. Exercise and a good diet really help

KatyN Wed 18-Nov-15 15:51:19

If it is thyroid then getting the medication is nothing. Short of miraculous. My husband is under active (he's now had his thyroid removed) and he is so much healthier than before he was diagnosed. He was loosing weight, anxious, just wrong. Now he is the picture of health!!

It seems such a common Thing these days.

KatyN Wed 18-Nov-15 15:51:45

It's also often heredictory.. Does anyone in your family suffer??

PeaceOfWildThings Wed 18-Nov-15 15:54:20

Sounds like thyroid. Do you often feel chilled too?

It took a year until I felt on an even keel and meds were right, but I still have some days of exhaustion, and get weight fluctuations.

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Wed 18-Nov-15 16:11:59

Thanks all!

Albert I'm 36 so I hope not!

Junos that's good to hear, thanks.

KatyN I don't think so. But tbh my mum is overweight, feels the cold and has thin hair, so I mean...maybe she has it and isn't diagnosed, or just hasn't told me.

Peace I was thinking about that. I don't think I feel the cold as much as some people. I rarely will put the heating on, and open the windows a lot because I like the cool air. I certainly feel feel it more than my weirdo DCs though, who will run around in t-shirts and swear they're not cold, when I'm in a wool jumper grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now