Talk

Advanced search

To give work notice that I'm close to giving official notice

(48 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Wed 18-Nov-15 14:23:42

Hi, long time lurker butbive finally plucked up the courage.

Ibrewpoy like the company I work for and the job. However I hate the physical environmental and certain people make my work difficult.

I don't want to go, but I don't think i can carry on working here as is.

Is it a good idea to say in close to giving my notice in and say why? I'm a "professional" and would be difficult to replace. I do worry that it sounds a bit threatening but I really will leave if nothing changes. I'm financially secure, so don't need need the job, but its nice to have regular money coming in.

DyslexicScientist Wed 18-Nov-15 14:26:25

I really like!

HackerFucker22 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:28:52

Unnecessary imo. Surely handing your notice in is sufficient?

If you are that hard to replace (your role I mean, I'm not being sarcastic) then your notice period will surely reflect this?

MelanieCheeks Wed 18-Nov-15 14:31:41

I think you need to tell them what the issues are rather than just threatening to go.

Cleansheetsandbedding Wed 18-Nov-15 14:33:29

I wouldn't say that. Nobody is irreplaceable.

However if your unhappy at other people's behaviour could you not talk to your line manager and see if changes can be made with out having to leave

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 18-Nov-15 14:33:58

Do you mean that you want to let your employer know that you are nearing walking point due to certain issues, and that if these issues continue you will be leaving? Thereby giving them a chance to try and improve things?

If so then yes, there's nothing to lose by having a chat to your boss/manager/HR etc.

If the things you don't like are unchangeable however, then I would just put my notice in. If I could afford to of course.

laureywilliams Wed 18-Nov-15 14:49:07

I wouldn't exactly threaten.

But I have once had a chat about some things that were making me very unhappy. An opportunity for them to clear some stuff up. And not be able to say "why didn't you tell us?" if I'd just left.

The chat went well, I stayed.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Wed 18-Nov-15 14:54:09

Of course you should discuss your unhappiness with your manager, why wouldn't you - it's not a threat, it's the reality.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Nov-15 14:54:39

One of my team handed in their notice with no job to go to citing relationships with other staff [more senior]. At no point had any grievance been made formally or informally or an issue escalated to me.

Since the resignation had been handed in and we were in a he said/she said situation I was advised to simply accept the resignation and let the person leave.

If you have a problem in your working environment then for gods sake don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Raise it if its making you miserable.

lavenderhoney Wed 18-Nov-15 14:55:41

do you have any workable solutions to the issues? Could you find work elsewhere if you wanted?

Physical enviroment - has it changed since you started there?

People issues - justifiable or not?

No one is irreplaceable. If you don't want to leave, arrive at a meeting about it with sensible solutions. And when they can't or won't do anything, give it a month and then find another job. One day you might need a reference.

EssentialHummus Wed 18-Nov-15 14:56:22

I think the tone needs to be, "I like my job and the work we do here at Johnson's Sprockets, but I need to ask for your support in dealing with X and Y issues which are stopping me from doing aspects of my work effectively."

Don't threaten to quit - you and your boss both know you can quit if things aren't resolved.

ZoeTurtle Wed 18-Nov-15 14:56:25

You have nothing to lose so it's a no-brainer.

OnlyLovers Wed 18-Nov-15 15:01:40

No, it just sounds like a threat. I'd give some concrete reasons for being unhappy/finding things difficult, and make it clear that you want to work towards improving them but need support.

Or, what Hummus said but she said it better. grin

Either that or just give notice. Anything else is fence-sitting and there's nothing they can do to help you if you don't approach it constructively.

KitKat1985 Wed 18-Nov-15 15:12:51

I agree. Absolutely fine to talk to your manager and say what your concerns are. However saying you'll leave if things don't change just sounds like a threat and may not go down well.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 18-Nov-15 15:14:47

If you said that to me I'd be thinking you were going to go for a constructive dismissal claim to be honest and were paving the way for a settlement agreement.

LIZS Wed 18-Nov-15 15:19:34

You need to take the issues up with your manager. A sweeping statement that things need to change to keep you just comes over as an empty threat and somewhat arrogant. Asking for specific support with a review timescale is more likely to be productive.

Enjolrass Wed 18-Nov-15 17:18:38

Yabu either hand your notice in or speak with your manager about your problems without mentioning leaving.

If you walk in there with 'I am thinking of handing my notice because I am not happy with xyz' you sound unprofessional, childish and are telling them you know they won't sort it. Or it will sound like blackmail.

DyslexicScientist Wed 18-Nov-15 18:21:14

Oh yes i didnt mean to imply im irreplaceably, just difficult with my skillset and getting up to scratch.

The whole reason I posted this was to get some helpnto not sound threatening. I just want them to take me seriously. I really will leave if things carry-on.

I'm sat all day in a drafty cuboard without any natural light and yet the air is very stale. Yes i have been moved recently and this is not where I started off in the company.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 18-Nov-15 18:36:23

"I hate the physical environmental and certain people make my work difficult."
Would your management be able to make changes to the physical environment? And the people who make your work difficult - what would make the difference, them being moved or would instructions from higher up be all that was needed?

Do you think it's fixable?

Personally I would do something along EssentialHummus's suggestion - ask for support in making changes, mentioning giving your notice in is not the best way to go. Yet.

anotherbloomingusername Wed 18-Nov-15 18:46:15

Well... saying that you're close to giving your notice could be construed as "breach of mutual trust and confidence", which is a sackable offence. (I actually know someone who was sacked for that reason!)

Enjolrass Wed 18-Nov-15 19:48:41

The conversation still shouldn't start with ' I am handing my notice in if you don't...'

It should be 'there are few things I am not happy with, can we find a solution?'

If nothing is done or you are ignored then hand your notice in.

It does sound like you are hoping they will take it as a threat and be scared to lose you. I can tell you as a business owner, I wouldn't want someone like that working for me

Duckdeamon Wed 18-Nov-15 19:51:47

It would be more professional to raise the problems informally or, if necessary, using the grievance procedure.

FindoGask Wed 18-Nov-15 19:57:07

I did something similar but for different reasons - I wanted more flexible part-time hours and I knew this wouldn't be possible in the position I was in, though in the end there was an attempt to negotiate from the organisation. I wanted to let my manager know I was looking for another job to help with her planning, and also with stuff like resource management, eg training - I was booked on a course that someone else had lost out on and I thought it was unfair to take the place if I didn't know how long I'd be there).

I was the only member of support staff for a busy department and I knew a month's notice wouldn't be enough time to prepare. In the end I found something surprisingly quickly so she didn't have all that much more notice than she would have done anyway but I still feel I did the right thing and she was glad to have had the heads-up.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 18-Nov-15 20:26:59

I wouldn't phrase it as you're close to handing in your notice, just that some things are causing issues and suggest solutions.

But physical environment can be very difficult to change depending on your job (I work in an office with dodgy air con, badly designed recently refurbished sinks in the toilets, no fridge, no microwave etc. most of which would be difficult, expensive, and slow to change because it's just how the building is.)

People issues can be even harder. Currently my whole team (and people in teams around us) have issues with one person that make it harder for us to do our jobs (and annoy the shit out of us). But management actively refuse to do anything about it because it's to do with personality and manner rather than a specific thing they're doing wrong that can be corrected. They'd rather disrupt the rest of us than offend one person and end up being accused of harassment

mintoil Wed 18-Nov-15 20:29:12

OP have you actually complained about your work environment and the other issues that are making you unhappy?

If so, how did you do this and what was the result?

If not, do that before resigning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now