Talk

Advanced search

To put up my Christmas tree < ducks>

(20 Posts)
PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 18-Nov-15 14:00:11

I will say my DS is asd and explaining is very difficult.

The Christmas lights are already on in town and he has seen many windows where people already have decorations up. < I think it too early myself>.

However DS is having a few meltdowns a day because he in convinced no decorations means no Christmas.

Wibu to just put up the sodding tree.

FattyNinjaOwl Wed 18-Nov-15 14:03:59

Just put it up. It doesn't really matter when it goes up. Keep it up all year for all I care grin
Anything to make your life less stressful.

Lostcat2 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:04:26

Ah bless him. Why not.

Could you put up a small one in his bed room rather than the big one?

KittyVonCatsworth Wed 18-Nov-15 14:05:03

I was all up for asking you to PM your address so I could come visit and show you the error of your ways! Yanbu, if it helps your wee lad, go for it.

It's a shame though that it starts earlier every year, all the bloody hype. I'm out of the country just now and the only reason I know it's coming up is bloody Facebook!

LifeIsChaos Wed 18-Nov-15 14:05:13

Just put it up, happy ds and less stress for you.

Sirzy Wed 18-Nov-15 14:05:08

If it makes life easier then do it

magimedi Wed 18-Nov-15 14:07:27

I was coming on to say YABU - but in your circumstances I wouldn't hesitate.

Enjoy decorating it! santa

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 18-Nov-15 14:07:35

Think I will have to.

But it's November

KittyVonCatsworth Wed 18-Nov-15 14:10:19

I would go whole hog and get some lovely warm mince pies and a bottle of Baileys whilst decorating!

Sighing Wed 18-Nov-15 14:13:51

How old? Would a calendar with stickers showing when Christmas decs go up help (and christmas day and christmas card posting and letter to santa)? Worked for a friend's asd boy.
But hey. Just stick the tree up! Or start a decoration a day countdown?

teeththief Wed 18-Nov-15 14:16:09

Can't you go shopping with him for a little one for his bedroom and let him decorate that for now? It's far too early ignores pile of wrapped Christmas presents in the corner of the room

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 18-Nov-15 14:20:05

Like the little tree idea.

TheCatsFlaps Wed 18-Nov-15 14:20:22

My batshit alkie neighbour has put hers up. She's 50, single and a violent thug that's been in custody more than I've had fucking hot dinners. One year she put a white indoor tree out on her driveway, decked it with indoor lights too, and fed the cable in through her letterbox in the middle of October. When a storm hit you saw a whole load of other decorations fed off the same plugboard inside get yanked up behind the front door as the wind lifted the tree and blew it down the street.

Lostcat2 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:22:55

I think a little bedroom tree is your friend op.

TheCatFlaps that must have been hilarious. grin

yorkshapudding Wed 18-Nov-15 14:25:40

Having worked with kids with ASD I'm a firm believer that it's all about picking your battles. If it won't do any harm and it makes your life less stressful then I don't see an issue. Yes, it's November still but it seems daft DS being so upset for the sake of a couple of weeks. If your DS would be happy with a little tree for his room then, great, but if not then I would just embrace it and have a lovely time putting the full decs up.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 18-Nov-15 14:28:40

It is hard to know when to make exemption and when to just do something for an easy life.

HackerFucker22 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:29:52

Maybe set him up with a small one for the time being?

LocalEditorEssex Wed 18-Nov-15 14:31:53

Would a countdown chart to December 1st work? It's visual which would work with my by ds with asd.
Although the small tree is a great idea. smile

AliceInUnderpants Wed 18-Nov-15 14:36:12

I agree a visual countdown chart could work. Or how about a countdown by putting up a small decoration each day? Or just go for it and put the tree up. It's only 5 weeks to go grin

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 18-Nov-15 14:42:00

Do it! I'm going to this weekend blush I flipping love Christmas. I just keep it away from the windows at the front so the neighbours don't know it's already up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now