Talk

Advanced search

Paying small amounts by cheque

(51 Posts)
Tapwaterbudget Tue 17-Nov-15 23:18:36

I give freelance music lessons and charge a nominal amount as am just starting out (think 13 eur an hour; am in Ireland).

One of my students always presents me with a cheque for this amount at the end of the lesson. He's a great student etc etc but aib to slightly resent the time it takes to go to bank (car drive away), deposit amount, wait to clear for 13 euro?!

i have strong hints as to why cash is preferable but all fallen on deaf ears it would seem confused

Tapwaterbudget Tue 17-Nov-15 23:18:42

Have = have given

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Tue 17-Nov-15 23:21:02

Why are you hinting? If you don't want cheques, tell him you don't take cheques. Hinting is unprofessional..

tacky Tue 17-Nov-15 23:21:50

I know many who say cheques are fine if paying in block payments (half a term or 10 weeks etc)

BackforGood Tue 17-Nov-15 23:23:38

If ever I have to give my dc money to hand to an organisation / for lesson etc., I always prefer to pay by cheque as a) it is a paper trail if any dispute and b) if they lose it on way to the lesson, it's no use to anyone else.

Can you not just wait until you have a few, and just pay them in together when you are in town for other reasons ?

However, if you want to be paid in cash, then simply state that - I don't see why you would "hint" if it is that difficult for you. You are offering the lesson, so you set your T&Cs.

Tapwaterbudget Tue 17-Nov-15 23:23:42

Ok fair enough!

I just don't understand the logic re writing a cheque for every music lesson?

wigglesrock Tue 17-Nov-15 23:24:41

Do you take card payments? Maybe he resents nipping to the cash point, making change to get the €13. If you want cash tell him.

balletgirlmum Tue 17-Nov-15 23:26:01

I wouldn't pay cash as it would mean a special trip to the cashpoint for me & the one time I paid for dds ballet lessons by cash the payment was missed & put onto my next Bill.

Most music teachers charge in monthly or termly blocks though.

BackforGood Tue 17-Nov-15 23:49:40

I just don't understand the logic re writing a cheque for every music lesson?

Maybe they don't have the time to go to the bank, and get the right cash out. Over the years, it takes a lot of time and organisation to have £13 in cash for this, £7.50 in cash for that, £18 in cash for the other. It's hassle. If the service provider is happy with a chq then it's much easier.

balletgirlmum Tue 17-Nov-15 23:53:18

Writing a cheque is a lot easier than having cash I agree

balletgirlmum Tue 17-Nov-15 23:53:56

Your alternative would be to get a card machine.

VimFuego101 Tue 17-Nov-15 23:54:51

Give him a couple of euros discount for paying for a block of 5/10 lessons in advance?

RealityCheque Tue 17-Nov-15 23:56:09

Card machine? Really?

This is the real world.

Simply stop accepting cheques and allow cash or online payment only. Easy.

balletgirlmum Wed 18-Nov-15 00:01:57

In the real world most people oay for things by card. Even small one man band businesses.

I don't have online banking so it's card or cheque only with me.

My dh is a music teacher & is quite happy to accept cheques if that's easier for his students.

HearTheThunderRoar Wed 18-Nov-15 00:08:47

Yadnbu, I am an accountant and a treasurer for a local club, I have similar problems.

Back, why should I have to waste my lunchtime trekking down to the bank because you can't be arsed to get some cash??

What about internet banking? Saves everyone trekking down to the bank!

Mmmmcake123 Wed 18-Nov-15 00:09:21

I thought cheques were being abolished very soon a good few years ago. I still have a cheque book and use it for expensive school trips. I think it's reasonable to just explain in a nice way that although you will accept a cheque, you could provide a receipt for cash which would save you x amount of time. Explain you could save the cheques to deposit together but they probably wouldn't want that.

RealityCheque Wed 18-Nov-15 00:10:55

You don't need online banking to do a bank transfer. You can do it on the phone.

It is not generally commercially viable for small businesses to take card payments. You are not living in the modern world if you cannot do a bank transfer but still use cheques. confused

Tapwaterbudget Wed 18-Nov-15 00:12:34

Thanks. It's a bit annoying when people claim they're too busy to get cash out to be honest; it takes me half an hour to get to the bank to deposit the cheque. Given I charge a very reduced free for lessons anyway, I kind of feel like the piss is being taken...

BackforGood Wed 18-Nov-15 09:45:07

Hear - you don't have to do that. If it's difficult for you, then you state, in your original T&Cs, that you only take cash. However, if you've not said anything (as OP hasn't), then, as a customer, I would do what's most convenient for me.
If it were a deal breaker for the customer (which it wouldn't be for me, but nowt so funny as folk) then the customer has the option of finding another business they can pay by cheque at.
Tapwater - I don't understand why you don't just say that to the customer.

BigGreenOlives Wed 18-Nov-15 09:49:34

Why don't you just post the cheque using a paying in slip from the back of your cheque book or from your paying in book?

DoJo Wed 18-Nov-15 09:54:52

It's hardly taking the piss if you accept the cheque and haven't asked for cash instead! They probably neither know nor care how long it takes you to get to the bank - why would they? If it's not convenient for you (and you don't want to post the cheques for some reason) then just ask for cash or bank transfer, but getting annoyed by it whilst saying nothing seems counter-productive and it's only going to disadvantage you!

SweetAdeline Wed 18-Nov-15 10:00:37

You don't need to change your t&c, just say "I'm sorry but from x date I will no longer take cheques for individual lessons. It's cash only per lesson or you can pay for a block of y lessons and I'll take cash/cheque/bank transfer".

Dragonsdaughter Wed 18-Nov-15 10:14:09

SweetAdeline has it on the head - use it as a marketing tool for block bookings

LurkingHusband Wed 18-Nov-15 10:20:21

Tapwater - I don't understand why you don't just say that to the customer.

Market forces ? If the OP would lose customers by not accepting cheques, then the market is trying to tell them something !

Personally, I detest cheques with a vengeance. It's just about bearable when paying for services in the home, since that's where the chequebook is kept. However, anyone wanting a cheque out and about is plum out of luck, since neither MrsLH or I have carried a chequebook this century. Cash is easier.

MrsLHs beautician used to ask for cheques until we mentioned we could do an online transfer. Now she wouldn't have it any other way. Saves her a trip to the bank and she gets the money in 2 hours, not 2 weeks.

LurkingHusband Wed 18-Nov-15 10:24:51

Why don't you just post the cheque using a paying in slip from the back of your cheque book or from your paying in book?

Because posting cheques leaves no proof of anything. And a lost cheque is even worse than a non-lost one (if that's possible). The cleaner we used to use had her bank lose a batch of cheques once (despite having stamped the paying in book). They refused to credit the account until every cheque (including ours) had been re-written.

Cheques are unique - they are the only way to easily pay a person rather than an account. So they can't be "scrapped" per se. However, they are bloody inconvenient if (like MrsLH and I) you only go to a high street once a month (if that).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now