Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to use fancy fabric softener?

(14 Posts)
comfortblankie Tue 17-Nov-15 19:08:10

I've been living in an apartment for 6 months now, and my only housemate asked me today if I could please stop using the "strong smelling washing powder", as it makes the apartment smell nice.

I've been using the same stuff since I moved in, he hasn't said anything in the past, and I still have 2 full bottles in storage because I spotted it on special offer grin.

WIBU to at least use up the stock that I have, before switching to something cheaper? and have the lovely smell fade from my clean clothes before I get to wear them...

MatildaTheCat Tue 17-Nov-15 19:11:13

Use half the amount and open the windows?

That 'nice' smell is a strong cocktail of chemicals and some people are very sensitive to them.

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 17-Nov-15 19:12:47

Is it bold by any chance? It smells amazing (to me) but I know a lot of people who are v sensitive to itsad

Jw35 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:14:06

Use it up! I don't know where she's coming from myself but as she's only just mentioned it I think you should be able to finish what you have.

WoodleyPixie Tue 17-Nov-15 19:14:31

I envy you using it. I used to love the smell of conditioner and washing powder, but allergic now so it's non bio and sensitive non branded conditioner. Even fairy conditioner brings me out in a rash.

Definitely use your stash at the very least.

RabbitSaysWoof Tue 17-Nov-15 19:16:44

I wouldn't change what I use on my own clothes and bedding, maybe just dry it in your room if you don't have a dryer and skip the conditioner for towels and any sofa throws etc.

WellyMummy Tue 17-Nov-15 19:31:11

Another allergy sufferer here. I'd use it up, but maybe cut the amount you use in each wash? (Lucky you, I miss laundry that smells clean!)

Sunnymeg Tue 17-Nov-15 19:32:54

Is it 'Daz'? I can always smell clothes washed in Daz.

whatdoIget Tue 17-Nov-15 19:43:15

I use an aldi one and the smell lasts for ages

comfortblankie Tue 17-Nov-15 20:17:20

Thanks all, I tend to do a few loads of washing at once, usually when I've got the place to myself and become a domestic goddess grin. I usually dry things on a clothes horse out on the balcony off my room, so not in a shared space.

Using it up for definite then!

It's Lenor Luxurious btw.

KeepOnMoving1 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:19:45

The Lenor has a bit of an overpowering lingering smell. A bit too strong I feel.

NotAnotheChinHair Tue 17-Nov-15 20:33:17

Fabric conditioners are full of chemicals and other substances that are strong allergens and they contaminate the air too. A lot of people find chemical scents very irritating.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 17-Nov-15 21:50:43

The thing is, you'll be putting a lot in to get the scent, because you become immune to the perfume after a while. Your housemate unfortunately doesn't share your wash, so every time you do laundry the smell will hit hard.

Tanaqui Wed 18-Nov-15 14:23:00

Use it up but explain to her first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now