Talk

Advanced search

Sending DCs to childcare with cold

(14 Posts)
Katastrophe13 Tue 17-Nov-15 18:01:33

I started my DD at a new nursery recently and they have said that they ask you not to send your child in with a cold. At her previous nursery you were able to send them in with a cold as long as they felt well enough and didn't have a temp. I am now worried, because she literally has a cold every couple of weeks through the winter and if I have to take time off work every time I will get sacked. Surely everyone (who works) sends their DCs in with a cold (unless they are feeling really unwell?)!!

Salmotrutta Tue 17-Nov-15 18:42:22

Unless they have an immuno-suppressed child attending it does seem a little over the top.

Do the staff stay off if they have a cold?

LittleFeileFooFoo Tue 17-Nov-15 18:46:37

I think that is the party line, but not the reality. My ds had a smooth nose from October till march. Same as all the kiddos, from what I can tell.

LittleFeileFooFoo Tue 17-Nov-15 18:47:23

Snotty nose

MrsBalustradeLanyard Tue 17-Nov-15 18:50:42

God. I would have DS home from now to March if that was the policy here. Bonkers when they're at the age of building their immune systems!

ThomasRichard Tue 17-Nov-15 19:04:15

That's ridiculous. I've had a couple of days off work this week to look after DD with a cold but she's had a temperature, is all grey and weepy and is sleeping a lot. I would send her to nursery if it was a sniffle and so would all the other parents, judging by the staff running around with tissues for the kids!

Katastrophe13 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:12:31

Ok thanks, I know in an ideal world you would keep them off, but it isn't really feasible is it. Dds key worker said to me that she had just been off with a cold, but she's pregnant so maybe that's why. Don't know if she would normally. They didn't mention anything about a high risk child. I'll just send her in and hope for the best when it happens.

Duckdeamon Tue 17-Nov-15 19:14:09

Ridiculous policy!

MrsBojingles Tue 17-Nov-15 19:38:14

Madness. If DD had to be off every time she had a snotty nose she'd never go in!

Topseyt Tue 17-Nov-15 19:38:06

I sent mine with colds.

I only kept them at home if really ill and with a temperature. With just sniffles and snotty noses but otherwise happy I took them in.

megletthesecond Tue 17-Nov-15 19:40:20

Nursery were strict with d&v, high temps, icky eyes and chicken pox but colds were fine.

ThomasRichard Tue 17-Nov-15 20:48:46

BTW I have a compromised immune system and need to be careful but if someone is so ill that they could die from catching a cold then they won't be out with the general public anyway.

hazeyjane Tue 17-Nov-15 20:53:49

I work with children (some of whom have compromised immunity) - we consider colds par for the course, but say no thanks to temperatures, d&v and diseases like chimp men pix (this was supposed to be chicken pox, but auto correct turned it into that!)

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 17-Nov-15 21:20:03

If you kept your dcs off every time they had cold. They'd hardly be there. It's ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now