Talk

Advanced search

was this racist??

(8 Posts)
spritefairy Tue 17-Nov-15 16:13:56

We have a local fb site where you inbox any questions, complaints or concerns for anonymous posting. I think most places have them. Called spotted (place name).

I caught a taxi yesterday and in conversation, the driver mentioned he got a lot of aggression from drunken customers at the weekend after what happened in France.

I inboxed spotted and said show your respect for Muslim workers. They arnt all terrorists and are just trying to do their job.

I have been told they won't post as it is a racist post.

Is it ??

So not to drip feed, they commonly allow posts that slag off eastern Europeans.

GruntledOne Tue 17-Nov-15 16:32:09

Is the difficulty that you said "They aren't all terrorists"? That wording sort of implies that a substantial proportion of them are, which is obviously not what you intended to convey.

MidnightVelvetthe4th Tue 17-Nov-15 16:35:30

Yes some of my friends are on a Spotted page & it occasionally come up on my news feed. The people who run my local page are not overly blessed with either brains or charm....

Just forget it OP smile

spritefairy Tue 17-Nov-15 16:36:25

Gosh of course not but unfortunately due to the media all terrorist attacks appear to be that of Muslims

MaidOfStars Tue 17-Nov-15 17:19:10

They aren't all terrorists?

I'm not getting into the debate about whether it constitutes racism or some other -ism, but it's a really daft thing to say.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Nov-15 17:32:30

They probably don't want to spark 'that' sort of conversation right now.

Plus it's pretty insulting to point out they're not all terrorists, because I don't know anyone who thinks all Muslims are.

You might be better to reword it and just tell them what you've told us.

Toadinthehole Tue 17-Nov-15 17:37:49

Muslims aren't all terrorists.
English aren't all stuck up.
Irish aren't all stupid.
The French don't all smoke.
Germans aren't all arrogant.

Etc. etc.

Which in average, everyday speech means that none of them are to any great degree, so don't behave as if they are.

LOL at people tortuously reading in a subtext that clearly isn't there.

Leelu6 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:40:55

They shouldn't have said it was racist, it sounds like your intentions are good OP, and the wording was slightly off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now