Advanced search

To find this annoying re land lady?

(28 Posts)
Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:26:49

She has asked us specifically to only contact her via the letting agent, despite living nearby and previously being friendly and offering to be contacted. We totally respect this and go via the letting agent. However she drops in looking for things in the shed, when she feels like it, with no warning. We want to maintain good relations but feel this is unfair. Aibu? And if so, what to do?

LizKeen Tue 17-Nov-15 13:31:27


She needs to arrange an appointment with at least 24 hours notice, through the letting agent. Inform the letting agent that this is what needs to happen going forward and have them let her know.

She can't have it both ways, and you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property.

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:36:16

We have complained once before, which was in relation to excessive letting agent fees for contract renewal. Her response, delivered via the letting agent, was that we were lucky she hadn't put the rent up. We have young children so feel precarious.

Also, the paintwork is crumbling with damp patches inside, which ah refuses to do anything about. I'm trying to keep relations good so that she will agree to this work at some point, and to give the DC best chance of a stable home.

Should I sod those worries and complain again?

Oldraver Tue 17-Nov-15 13:36:04

I would tell her that she needs to give the correct notice via the letting agent

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:37:59

Today she had let herself into the garden, via the side gate to 'have a nose' in the side passage for something she wantedsad

ZoeTurtle Tue 17-Nov-15 13:38:45

She can't enter your home (which it is) when she feels like it. It's illegal. Research your rights - LandlordZone is a good website which gives good advice to tenants, not just landlords - and exercise them.

Yes, she can retaliate by refusing to renew your lease. But you will be better off somewhere with a professional landlord who will maintain the property and leave you in peace.

bobbywash Tue 17-Nov-15 13:41:32

You can always contact EH re the damp. If they look at it, and decide it's a problem, then you are entitled to have the work done, you should have a good read of the agreement.

As for the turning up and looking ain the shed, she is probably in breach of the terms of the tenancy agreement, not only as to attendance at the property, but also as to quiet enjoyment, again read your agreement carefully. If you have difficulties with the language then go to the CAB and ask them to explain it.

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:42:17

Thanks zoe. We live rurally so very little local to the DC school- we have looked. Think she is a bit crackers tbh.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 17-Nov-15 13:42:30

What do you mean, she refuses to fix the damp?

I'd be asking the council go inspect it and instruct her on what she must do, to ensure you have a safe, hygienic home.

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:42:55

Thanks bobby

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:44:09

Honey suckle, can I do that? Tjer are many disfiguring marks on the paintwork all over the house from damp

LizKeen Tue 17-Nov-15 13:46:09

I have had a few LL like yours in the past. Pain in the ass tbh. Not good with repairs and constantly hanging around the property.

Is moving at all possible?

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:50:10

Not really. We are settled here while saving for a deposit. I guess I should suck it up for the sake of the peace as it is not often- maybe once in 3 months,but I don't like it

ZoeTurtle Tue 17-Nov-15 13:50:29

Dames if you take that attitude you're never going to get a properly maintained home that's yours to enjoy. Don't forget she needs a tenant as much as you need a home, and if you don't stand up for yourself she'll keep taking your money and trampling all over the few rights you have.

I appreciate you're scared of losing your home but she's also scared of having a void property with no money coming in from it.

wowfudge Tue 17-Nov-15 13:56:33

Contrary to what you have been advised, the landlord of a property has no right to enter, notice or no notice without your consent, unless in an emergency. I would be having words with the letting agents. Can you put a lock on the gate to stop her accessing your garden? Is there anywhere else nearby you could move to? Her behaviour is affecting your right to quiet enjoyment.

PurpleGreenAvocado Tue 17-Nov-15 13:57:50

YANBU. I'd mention it to the letting agent. She should be making an appointment if she needs to come round and getting the stuff out of the shed before she rents the house in future.

Needaninsight Tue 17-Nov-15 13:58:04

Oh god, I'd be putting locks on gates and changing the locks of the house!

AmeliaNeedsHelp Tue 17-Nov-15 14:04:23

Be careful about contacting EH. When I got in touch with them, they told me it'd take months to get stuff done and in the mean time the LL just refused to renew the tenancy. It's called retaliatory eviction and is (or at least was 18 months ago) perfectly legal. So rather than deal with the damp problem, the LL just painted over it and got a new tenant. According to my previous neighbours there had been 5 tenants in 3 years in that property. The letting agents couldn't care less because they got more referencing fees every 6 months.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 17-Nov-15 14:04:50

Why on earth don't you have a padlock on the gate? I'd put another one on the shed too just to make a point in case she accesses it through the house if you are not around.

Dameshazaba Tue 17-Nov-15 14:05:24

Thanks all. I can feel that back bone growing smile

specialsubject Tue 17-Nov-15 14:07:32

retailiatory eviction has been outlawed as of October 1st. So if you complain to the council about serious problems (which it sounds like this place has) she can't evict you until they are fixed.

landlady cannot walk on to property when she feels like it. She must give notice AND you must agree. Only exception is real emergency.

you can change locks, keep the old ones and put them back when you leave.

you've got rights. Use them.

gas safe? Protected deposit?

MuttonWasAGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 14:23:14

I've been in the position of putting up with less than ideal conditions because it was the only house available in the rural area. It was actually a pretty awesome house and the location was utterly ideal - in the exact small village we wanted, kids able to walk a hundred metres to school, with a gorgeous view of the sea. We'd have gratefully rented something far less lovely. But as it was we had no other options at all (we had to move immediately and were damned lucky to find anything at all.) And so we put up with things. Our landlords weren't evil, they just couldn't cope with the issues from where they were in England. That said, we weren't dealing with severe damp!

How long do you expect to stay there?

tbtc20 Tue 17-Nov-15 14:25:14

You'll find something for you and the DCs should you have to.

Better to have to find somewhere else to live knowing you stood up for yourself (lesson for the kids right there), than be under the thumb of some LL who clearly knows you're not going to rock the boat.
Call her bluff.

PurpleGreenAvocado Tue 17-Nov-15 14:34:32

TBTC has the right idea, plus this time of year is a lousy time for a LL to be looking for new tenants as who want to move house just before Christmas so she's going to want to avoid that if she can.

specialsubject Tue 17-Nov-15 14:52:58

no tenancy agreement (England/Wales) can give a landlord the option of turning up when she wants. Illegal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: