Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how all the people wearing the French flag on FB feel now they've bombed Syria?

(329 Posts)
TheHouseOnTheLane Mon 16-Nov-15 00:15:25

So..."everyone" popped a French flag on their FB profile in sympathy with Paris.

Now France has shot over there and dropped 20 bombs on ISIS HQ and training centre.

So...people are happily condoning war really.

Why not all change profile pics to a peace sign?

I know ISIS are bad...but as we all say, violence solves nothing. Nothing.

AnyFucker Mon 16-Nov-15 00:16:13

France were bombing before Friday 13th.

Hadn't you noticed ?

Madnson Mon 16-Nov-15 00:21:39

What should they do?

SecretWitch Mon 16-Nov-15 00:23:39

Perfectly fine by me. Hth.

lexigrey Mon 16-Nov-15 00:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelenaDove Mon 16-Nov-15 00:26:13

People arent going to be able to do right for doing wrong when it comes to this flag thing.

CalmYoBadSelf Mon 16-Nov-15 00:26:18

France retaliating does not reduce the sympathy I feel for Paris and all those impacted by terrorism

rageagainsttheBIL Mon 16-Nov-15 00:26:54

What AF said. They've been bombing Syria for weeks and weeks as part of a US coalition.

I should think many of those who have shown solidarity for victims don't want further victims, of any nationality.

Unreasonablebetty Mon 16-Nov-15 00:28:30

From my understanding (very little I will admit!!) the bombs have only been on ISIS territory where no innocent would currently be, only Jihads.
If that case is true, I've very little feeling against it.
But it's scary that this means the chances of these attacks becoming common place has gone up significantly, and I genuinely believe that many, many more people who are innocent and nothing to do with this will get hurt, both in the western and eastern world.

This all boils down to us being involved in a war we had fuck all to do with in the first place. As a nation were war mongerers, if there's a spat somewhere in the world, good ole britains sure to wade in and get involved.

I'm angry, upset, anxious about the whole situation, I don't like all of this unrest, and I feel like the governments should have a way of dealing with this and not harming the innocent people.

If they want to commit Jihad, and they are happy to do so, then I am not sad at all if they happen to get killed off before they hurt someone. They've asked for it, but I feel so sad remembering when it all came to light that our troops had abused and tortured civilians in the east simply because they had the power to do so.

Out2pasture Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:09

since you asked I still feel supportive towards the French.
isis and co. need a good shit kicking, i'm tired of their cowardly antics.

longfingernails Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:14

Bombing terrorists is no big deal, but the real problem is European immigration policy. Germany and Sweden in particular, but many other nations, have been happy to let in hordes of bogus refugees, terrorists amongst them.

Mysteryfla Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:16

If they'd have let me I'd have gone along and pushed the release button. Do you really think talking to those idiots is going to achieve anything, or maybe you didn't read about the mass grave of elderly women they found today? I'm sure those women were dangerous to ISIS.

Donge13 Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:19

They have been bombing Syria before Friday, and as long they are targeted bombings I really don't care if they are killing terrorist scum

frikadela01 Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:52

I changed my profile pic to the tricolor. I wouldn't put a peace sign because I'm not naive, a retaliation was an inevitable and I'll be honest, welcomed from me... what should we do just alway these terrorists to win?

HelenaDove Mon 16-Nov-15 00:29:49

I should think many of those who have shown solidarity for victims don't want further victims, of any nationality.

THIS perfectly describes how i feel.

GorillaWar Mon 16-Nov-15 00:30:23

I'm with Helena. Getting a bit fed up with all those "but there was an earthquake in Japan you don't have a Japanese flag" etc statuses.

The world hurts all over. But that doesn't make what happened in France any less awful. It's an easy way of showing sympathy to my French friends and family, that doesn't mean I'm ignorant of other current events.

sliceofsoup Mon 16-Nov-15 00:31:48

I feel the same about the airstrikes now as I did last Thursday. They are not new.

If anything, Fridays events have only underlined the need for them in my eyes.

ISIS have proved themselves to be a very real threat, time and again. They need to be stopped.

AgentZigzag Mon 16-Nov-15 00:35:27

Maybe we could win them over by giving out flowers and telling them to give peace a chance?

I don't agree that violence solves nothing or that two wrongs don't make a right, sometimes violence needs to be met with violence.

What is it about dropping 20 bombs on and ISIS HQ and training centre that you have a problem with? confused

cleaty Mon 16-Nov-15 00:36:51

ISIS have been killing thousands of people for a long while. Or haven't you noticed? Including wiping out Shia Muslims from whole towns.

headexplodesbodyfreezes Mon 16-Nov-15 00:40:44

It makes no difference to how I feel. This is not new, 11 countries have been involved in air strikes on ISIS targets since 2014.

Someone on Sky news was just explaining that the pre-existing list of targets for upcoming strikes has been given to France.

Fine as far I'm concerned.

sodabreadjam Mon 16-Nov-15 00:41:22

Just because you show sympathy for one city that has been bombed doesn't mean you don't have sympathy for others who are also being bombed.

I don't want anyone to be bombed - or shot.

I am sick of people on Facebook claiming the moral high ground because they haven't put up a tricolour and berating everyone who has a tricolour for not showing equal sympathy for Beirut, Syria, Irag, Afghanistan, Kenya, etc. etc.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Mon 16-Nov-15 00:42:19

I know ISIS are bad...but as we all say, violence solves nothing. Nothing.

Yes, you're right, we'll ask them to peace talks shall we? They seem like a reasonable, if wrong-headed, bunch of chaps hmm

Crazypetlady Mon 16-Nov-15 00:44:09

I don't agree with the bombing and I have the flag. I am showing my respects to the dead and the affected in paris. As far as I am aware they did not organize these bombings.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Mon 16-Nov-15 00:46:55

It's all nasty, the whole situation, but clearly something must be done.

Perhaps OP could come back and expand on her ideas for how to tackle the whole fandango 'non-violently'?

headexplodesbodyfreezes Mon 16-Nov-15 00:51:11

Perhaps the OP should volunteer to go out to Syria and ask ISIS to play more nicely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now