Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be upset at reading about a family members death on facebook

(13 Posts)
ovaryhill Sun 15-Nov-15 11:22:16

It was the first I'd heard of it, nobody bothered to tell me
Not only that but the messages on his page read along the lines of 'sorry to hear you have passed Dave'
'I can't believe you have died Dave'
Not his real name obviously, but who do they think they are messaging?
It would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic
Fucking facebook!!

Sirzy Sun 15-Nov-15 11:25:15

Yanbu to be upset. But how not unreasonable depends on who the relative was an how close.

YANBU, it must have been really upsetting to find out in that way.

Crazypetlady Sun 15-Nov-15 11:35:16

YANBU
I am sorry for your loss.flowers
were you close?

scarlets Sun 15-Nov-15 11:36:47

Depends. If Dave was someone you haven't seen since 2007 when you happened to bump into him at Great Aunt May's funeral, then it's likely that you were not a high priority when it came to ringing people to let them know. However, if you made the effort to keep in touch and visit each other, that's different.

Chippednailvarnish Sun 15-Nov-15 11:40:44

My sympathies OP.

I've had a similar thing happen, due to a family argument that I had no part of, I found out someone had died on FB. It's pretty sad which ever way you look at it.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sun 15-Nov-15 11:46:54

Well, you are kind of not unreasonable. But presumably you can't have been that close if nobody bothered to let you know.

My Mum's brother died and I learnt from Facebook. Yes, it was a bit shit, but despite living in the same town they didn't even exchange a Christmas card.No falling out, just not close.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 15-Nov-15 11:48:28

messages on his page read along the lines of 'sorry to hear you have passed Dave'
'I can't believe you have died Dave'

shock confused

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 15-Nov-15 11:52:10

It's a horrible way to find out. I found out about an old friend (sister's ex) in a similar way. My family all knew and had made arrangements to attend the funeral. It wasn't until a school friend messaged me (on Facebook) to ask if I was going that I found out. When I asked them, they had "forgotten I knew him." Very thoughtless. My sympathies OP.
flowers

ovaryhill Sun 15-Nov-15 11:52:59

We haven't actually physically seen each other in a long time due to being at opposite ends of the country but kept in touch frequently and had a great laugh, we had one of those teasing each other and slagging each other off kind of relationships
He would frequently have me crying with laughter at his insults,
That may sound strange to some but it was it was done with affection on both our parts

KeepOnMoving1 Sun 15-Nov-15 11:56:02

Sympathies opflowers could it be that the people who let everyone know he passed just didn't know that you were close, as you physically were not always there. They might not have known you kept in touch in other ways.

Enjolrass Sun 15-Nov-15 12:02:25

Did anyone else know you were in touch?

I speak to cousins on Facebook but I bet if you asked my mum (not on Facebook) she would say I have spoke to them in years.

Yanbu to be sad. But I imagine at this time they haven't thought of everyone. They have probably told people they think need to and hope it filters down.

ovaryhill Sun 15-Nov-15 12:02:25

That may be the case, keeponmoving, it was just such a shock, I couldn't believe what I was reading

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now