Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be undecided?

(22 Posts)
Gangie Sat 14-Nov-15 20:13:51

Regarding a house move.....Currently live 15km outside two towns, smack bang in the middle. Town A is where I have friends & is nearer to the city where I work. Town B is cheaper in rent and is s nice town but is in the next county and we don't know anyone there, obviously also farther from my work,

I want to move to town A found a house that is suitable but is €900 pm. Currently paying €600.

Cheaper house can be got in preferable town but still around €750 and not very nice in a horrible estate.

Better house can be got in town B but would still be €650/700 nice but small and obviously further from work.

So do we stretch to €900 (doable just about) for the nice house in the exact location I want, or take a cheaper not so nice house in the area I really am not keen on... Or get a nice house in nice town B.

Crux of the matter is we are trying to save for a mortgage and hope to buy in 3 years in town A being preferable but town B might be better value and I may not always be working in the city I currently do. ???

Help!

Gangie Sat 14-Nov-15 20:18:50

Reading that back its obvious I want town A. So..,,,,,

Take dearer house in better location?

Take cheaper house in worse location and keep reminding myself it's not forever?

The difference between where we live now and where cheaper house is will be a bit of a shock to the system!

Imnotaslimjim Sat 14-Nov-15 20:33:21

Given that I went for the cheaper, not so great town and now can't move (got a mortgage, now in negative equity) I'd advise going to the town you want. I know you're renting but it would be very tempting to buy a house for less once you've lived there a while

MyNewBearTotoro Sat 14-Nov-15 20:40:15

I would take the more expensive house in town A. It's clear you'd rather be there so unless it's going to drastically affect saving for a mortgage I'd go with your preference.

Northernnights Sat 14-Nov-15 20:51:09

Are you in Ireland?
I'd go for town A. Better town, rent can be balanced against travel costs.

FrogFairy Sat 14-Nov-15 20:54:27

Can you stay put if it is only for a couple of years?

If not go for town A.

Gangie Sat 14-Nov-15 21:01:18

Can't stay put. Currently renting and landlords want to sell. No houses in this area. It means moving kids to dif school but if we had to move house again and already lived in town A it wouldn't effect the school. Ie. Even if we found a house here which is unlikely when we buy they still have to move school...

The thing is we have a bit of time, lease not up till end Feb but I think it's best if we are goin to move to town A that kids start school in Jan before to settled ( pfb in juniors, no2 not started yet)

So take nice house now or wait and see if something else comes up? But that could mean horrible house is all we can get?

Agh!!!!

Gangie Sat 14-Nov-15 21:03:05

Yes we are in Ireland. Major housing crisis at the minute so there is very little to rent!

celtictoast Sat 14-Nov-15 21:54:34

Go for A.

mintoil Sat 14-Nov-15 22:05:16

Definitely A,and do bear in mind the travel costs you will save from being close to work and friends.

cece Sat 14-Nov-15 22:06:03

A

RueDesTroisFreres Sat 14-Nov-15 22:35:03

A. There is a lot to be said for stability for kids where possible. That's what would swing it for me.

MrsDiesel Sat 14-Nov-15 22:40:41

I would go with nice house in town A, the kids will be settled in the nice area and school so when you are ready to buy you can look in the area that you are living rather than move away from their friends and possibly school.

Gangie Sun 15-Nov-15 19:47:23

Another curve ball... A house has come up in seaside village 5 mins away only €600pm and no change of school or childminder.... could save the €300 a month towards mortgage and move to favoured town then in 2 yrs (would be €9,200 if we saved the difference)

Now what should I do ?

RubbleBubble00 Sun 15-Nov-15 19:50:13

take seaside one, it's a win win. You get to save and don't have to uproot the kids as you might need to do this if you buy in 3 years time

mommy2ash Sun 15-Nov-15 20:31:10

Definitely take the seaside one and be quick about it. I'm in Ireland too op and renting is horrific at the moment

witsender Sun 15-Nov-15 20:42:10

Seaside one! Win win.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sun 15-Nov-15 20:50:05

seaside one!

celtictoast Sun 15-Nov-15 21:06:50

Still go for A, to avoid moving twice. You'll be settled in there in 2 years instead of being the newcomers again.

Gangie Mon 16-Nov-15 12:49:34

Just got off phone to agent about seaside place... it's only available for 6 mths then they are selling so that's no good.

Agh!!!! Think 900 is just too much though if we are ever to save enough for a mortgage....will have to hang tough and hope something suitable turns up before we are homeless!!!

Things are bad!!!

Gangie Mon 16-Nov-15 12:51:41

Mommytoash it's unreal isn't it?? Actually don't know what is goin to happen...if another person tells me to go on the housing list I will scream! I earn 'too much' for social housing but not enough for a small mortgage.... go figure. Talk about being stuck between a rock and s hard place! Where in Ireland are you? I'm cork/ Waterford boarder.

SevenOfNineTrue Mon 16-Nov-15 13:21:15

Go for A. You can always cut back in other areas if you need to save more but a happy, safe home where you want to be located is important IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now