Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be concerned about my daughters weight loss

(11 Posts)
Makemefeel95 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:46:58

My dd is 21 and has lost a lot of weight going from 10 stone to about 7-7 and a half stone in about four months. She's 5'4

TaliZorah Sat 14-Nov-15 19:51:55

Safe weight loss is about 2lb a week which would be 32lbs. 140 -32 would be 108lbs. Which is about 7 and a half.

I wouldn't have thought it's necessarily bad? Unless she seems very obsessed with her eating

QueenMolotov Sat 14-Nov-15 19:56:19

It depends on other factors. Is she generally happy? Has something happened to her recently? A change in circumstances? Have her eating habits changed recently? Has she become secretive with eating? Does she order skinny versions of drinks for example, when you're out? Does she finish all the food on her plate, or leave it?

At 5'4" and 7st 7lb, she's at the lower end of a healthy weight; teetering into unhealthy/too low a weight. Ideally, someone of 5'4" should be between 7st 8lbs-10st.

QueenMolotov Sat 14-Nov-15 19:58:29

21 is a key age in the development of EDs. You're young enough for certain factors to wreak havoc on your still-developing identity, and old enough to control other factors - eating (or strictly controlling what is eaten) to get thin being one of them.

Rubygillis Sat 14-Nov-15 23:33:35

I'm the same height and have been 10 stone and felt very heavy at that weight. I started losing weight and got to about 8 stone (not sure as in kg) and if I was younger and more disciplined I could have imagined going lighter as I felt and looked so much better.

I guess the question is if she now stops at that weight.

It is easy to get obsessed about it without having an actual eating disorder.

Bumbledumb Sun 15-Nov-15 00:18:06

Safe weight loss is about 2lb a week ... if you are obese. Losing 2 lbs a week when you don't have much fat to lose is not good.

Clobbered Sun 15-Nov-15 00:22:50

I think you are right to be concerned, but you need to be very careful how you express that concern to your daughter. Have you discussed it at all? What does she say about it?

CalleighDoodle Sun 15-Nov-15 00:29:25

5 feet 4 and 7 stone 7 sounds about right.

How has she lost the weight?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreatFuckability Sun 15-Nov-15 01:30:29

Whether the weight is at is a healthy weight or not isn't really relevant, that's a lot of weight in a short space of time for someone not overweight to begin with. I think you are right to be at least aware of it.

Allofaflumble Sun 15-Nov-15 08:46:56

My experience of doing that (I started at 8.3 and went down to 6.5 stones) was that I became a yo yo dieter and my metabolism was ruined. I would love to be 8 stone 3 lbs now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now