Is this okay?

Savagebeauty Sat 14-Nov-15 19:12:25

Why??

JeanSeberg Sat 14-Nov-15 19:12:44

No.

Makemefeel95 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:14:05

Why not

Elmersnewfriend Sat 14-Nov-15 19:15:46

Depends on your teeth. If you have no fillings and no issues then every 5 years is probably fine. If they're full of fillings and hurt all the time, then it's mad.

Sajamine Sat 14-Nov-15 19:16:20

Yanbu.

No other bones are so well looked after. I go every 5 years. never had any problems as and adult, I dont snack on sugar and floss and brush well.

hollinhurst84 Sat 14-Nov-15 19:16:56

I go every 6 months for check up and hygienist. On Denplan so it's all included and I want the dentist to spot problems early

JoySzasz Sat 14-Nov-15 19:28:05

My DH hasn't been for 25 years. No problems, and he takes excellent care of them. Flossing and hydrogen peroxide mouthwashes.
He is American though. wink

wonkylegs Sat 14-Nov-15 19:39:39

I go every year with DS as we have a joint appointment and it always feels a bit of a waste of time as I have had perfect teeth my whole life and have never had a problem, never have any treatment, I had my first and only scale and polish at 35years old and I think that was more because he felt he should do something after seeing me so long and just counting my teeth.

ragged Sat 14-Nov-15 19:44:43

You'll find out if it was ok in about 25 yrs. Keep us posted. wink

Bunbaker Sat 14-Nov-15 19:53:59

Dentists don't just look at your teeth though. They check out the state of your mouth. OH has had a couple of biopsies taken from his mouth to check for something more sinister. Fortunately they were both clear.

So I think every 5 years is chancing it.

megletthesecond Sat 14-Nov-15 19:56:13

Not good. Every 6 months here.

Never had a filling.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 14-Nov-15 20:26:24

I go every six months because I have always had rubbish teeth. I have had numerous fillings and repairs. My dentist now is fantastic though and I haven't had to have a filling in about two years.

My dh hasn't been to see a dentist in the twenty one years I've known him. He's never had a filling or any work done and has perfect teeth.

I don't think it's diet related as my brother and sister have pretty good teeth and we grew up with the same diet.

elQuintoConyo Sat 14-Nov-15 20:38:52

I had that flouride treatment thingy tgree times during my pregnancy 4 years ago, they said my teeth were in great condition.

Before that, I hadn't been to a dentist in 11 years. I don't have any fillings even though I'm late thirties 40

Lweji Sat 14-Nov-15 20:51:17

5 years you say?

The last time I was it must have been 7 years ago. Before that it was over 13 years.

They are fine.

BertieBotts Sat 14-Nov-15 20:58:20

What about every 2 years instead?

I didn't go for 7 years and had to have several fillings. They all fell out within six months but I don't want to go back sad DH keeps reminding me but it doesn't hurt unless I get actual sweets stuck in it.

QueryQuery Sat 14-Nov-15 21:01:26

Go, Bertie. The longer you leave it the worse the decay will get and the more treatment you'll need. Be brave, you might even get a sticker.

venusandmars Sat 14-Nov-15 21:37:00

I heard a dentist talking about it on the radio - they said that the 6 month / annual check up, scale and polish for people with good teeth is one of the biggest wastes of NHS dentist resources. The people who have poor teeth or bad dental hygiene need to go - but often don't. The dentist on the radio said that once every 2 or 3 years was fine if your have good teeth.

Senpai Sat 14-Nov-15 21:39:16

Last time I took a 5 year break I came back to needing all my teeth drilled. Took a few years break again, more drilling. Now I go every six months and I have no cavities since doing the recommended 6 month cleanings. I also have no more teeth left to drill.

Stratter5 Sat 14-Nov-15 21:42:29

I don't know anyone who has an NHS dentist. Not a soul.

DDs and I go twice a year, once for a dental check up, once for a hygienist visit. We don't need any more because we really look after our teeth. I'm a bit paranoid about keeping teeth clean, and we all have both electric, and sonic toothbrushes, a Waterpik (DD2 has braces, they are great for that), and Tepes.

No way on earth would I risk going once every five years. Oral health is extremely important.

Bunbaker Sat 14-Nov-15 21:49:13

We still have NHS dentists round here. South Yorkshire isn't that affluent and if all the dentists went private most of them would go out if business.

justwondering72 Sat 14-Nov-15 22:09:51

I went to a dentist for the first time after a 21 year gap (was busy, moved house and continent every few years, couldn't afford it in countries with no nhs etc). I needed one small filling and a bit of a clean. So no I don't think YABU if your teeth are in good nick, your brush well and regularly. I'm not planning to leave it so long again, maybe aim for every 2-3 years.

jevoudrais Sat 14-Nov-15 22:17:17

Perhaps not YABU as this is a choice, but, YABN (naive).

Did you know dentists are trained to look for mouth cancers and such like? And it isn't as though you're immune to mouth cancer if you don't smoke.

Oral health can deteriorate very quickly, and a dentist can spot the signs and help turn things around before they get severe. There is a reason dentists spend FIVE years at dental school. Its not just 'yes all looks fine, nothing hurts so don't worry about it'. They're highly skilled professionals. I get going once per year or once every two, but that's pushing it for me.

KurriKurri Sat 14-Nov-15 22:35:52

I go every six months - I like to know if there are any problems that can be dealt with earlier rather than later - it saves money in the long run if something can be solved with a small job rather than a bigger one. I have an NHS dentist so a check up costs about £18.

My DD has perfect teeth - the same NHS dentist has told her she only needs to visit once a year for a check up.

I would never leave it five years though - but that's because my teeth aren't very good - no health care is compulsory, you have to do what you feel comfortable with I guess.

Gabilan Sat 14-Nov-15 22:50:33

As a child I had to go every 6 months, had numerous fillings, most of them without anaesthetic, and developed a deep-seated loathing for dentists.

As an adult I've been as little as possible and strangely only needed one new filling so I have a feeling the wanker who gave me fillings without anaesthetic was just making holes in my teeth for shit and giggles. I had one 15 year period when I didn't go at all. Then about 18 months ago I chipped a tooth quite badly and needed to get to a dentist ASAP. Now I have annual appointments, which seems fine. And my dentist seems perfectly pleasant though I still get a bit panicky

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: