Talk

Advanced search

to ask you, quite seriously, how the fuck I change these lightbulbs?

(51 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 15:53:11

I am going mad and am possibly also stupid. We moved into this house a month ago. The kitchen has spotlights in the ceiling. All of them were working when we moved in. Three have now gone and I can't get the little buggers out for love nor money. I have no idea what bulbs they are but have attached a photo. So far I have tried:

1. Pressing on the lightbulb to turn it (it clicked, it turned, the glass shattered, there was effing and also blinding)

2. Attaching a suction cup hook thing to the glass, pressing and turning it (it just turned a bit)

3. Using pliers to turn the suction cup (it just turned a bit)

4. Raging (useless).

Please help, Mumsnetters, because I am going mad and also WHAT DO I DO WHEN ALL THE BULBS HAVE GONE?

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 15:54:34

Oh also I have tried these things with all three bulbs. Wondering if vendors superglued them in. But they left us prosecco and a list of useful numbers so surely they can't hate us?!

FrozenPonds Sat 14-Nov-15 15:56:04

Does the gold bit twist off first to allow access to the bulb, or is it fixed to the ceiling?

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Nov-15 15:56:29

Does the brass ring unscrew?

grassroots Sat 14-Nov-15 15:56:57

OK. There is an inner ring between the brass outer and the glass of the bulb. This is the bit you need to twist. If you feel gently around the ring it has almost certainly got two little sticky out bits to help you turn it. About half a turn and the fitting should come out. The bulb will still be attached to the wiring, so it shouldn't fall, but you will be able to easily disconnect it.
Good luck!

dementedpixie Sat 14-Nov-15 15:57:31

They look like GU10 bulbs or similar. You do need to push them in and then turn but not sure which direction

pestilence13610 Sat 14-Nov-15 15:59:30

The big brass ring stays on the ceiling.
Stick your finger nails around the inner (into that gap)bit a pull, they unclip. Do not twist. Then the light bulbs pull out.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 14-Nov-15 15:59:53

youtu.be/4D-Ft-YF4yY ?

Or if you look at that link it links to other slightly different styles.

misspepper Sat 14-Nov-15 16:02:32

I had similar in a rented house. Look on youtube for GU10 spotlight bulb change.

There was a thin wire (thickness of a paperclip) that ran just around the outside of the lightbulb which kept it up in the fitting.
The wire wasn't quite a full circle and had a bend at each end holding it in place.

When that was removed the bulb hung down and could be changed.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 16:04:03

Sorry, I was up on a chair having the rage. DH (for whom this has become a sort of mystical test along the lines of King Arthur etc) has now removed the whole fitting and was swearing quietly until I read grassroots post to him and now we have achieved bulb off!

Actual quote from DH: "God, Mumsnet is brilliant."

You are all amazing. I thank you.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 16:05:08

PS the brass rings are not supposed to come off the ceiling. But I am afraid that now they do anyway, whether they like it or not.grin

pestilence13610 Sat 14-Nov-15 16:09:18

I'm looking forward to the next thread "How the fuck do I put these back up" grin

LindyHemming Sat 14-Nov-15 16:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Arabidopsis Sat 14-Nov-15 16:24:28

Be sure to replace them with LEDs. It's worth spending the money, not least because then you won't have to try and get the bulbs out again for another 10 years!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 16:25:12

pestilence expect an update in about an hour's time!

Euphemia they have taken up the whole day

dementedpixie Sat 14-Nov-15 16:25:36

Home bargains sell cheap led gu10 bulbs.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 16:25:48

arabidopsis that is very much the plan!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 14-Nov-15 16:26:21

dementedpixie thanks, we'll do some googling!

MumOnTheRunAgain Sat 14-Nov-15 17:01:38

You need a little suction cup remover for those. They are often included with the fitting but can be bought in any electrical dept

Candypops14 Sat 14-Nov-15 17:03:26

Iv got these to, iv had no idea how to change them for the past year my hallway hasn't had any lighthmm

MumOnTheRunAgain Sat 14-Nov-15 17:05:12

Here. We sell loads of these and I'm always having to advise customers on this issue

Savagebeauty Sat 14-Nov-15 17:12:13

I get a man in shock
I can't do it.

MumOnTheRunAgain Sat 14-Nov-15 17:13:47

You might need an electrician then op. The suction should do it, but they sound jammed

we have similar but ours have little metal clips on either side that you pull back then pull out the bulb.

clam Sat 14-Nov-15 17:20:10

We have some GU10s and I've had the same problem. There were 7 of them in two racks in the kids' study (not quite the same as your pic, as no metal ring, more of a spotlight-type socket). We let each one go as we couldn't face the hassle you've had today until, until we got down to just one left working. We asked various "handy" friends to help and each leapt to the task, keen to show us how useless we were being, before they too gave up. The suction cups didn't work either, and the only success I ever had in the past was with two pairs of tweezers, one on each side of the bulb.

Eventually, the last one exploded, showering scalding hot glass all over dh as he sat working. We were forced to call in an electrician! He told us that the issue was that we were still using the old, high-wattage bulbs, which were overheating in the socket and expanding, hence the difficulty in getting them out. He somehow managed to remove the rest and we replaced them all with the new low-wattage bloody expensive long-life ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now