Talk

Advanced search

Tell me I'm being irrational

(18 Posts)
bornwithaplasticspoon Sat 14-Nov-15 11:02:42

I'm taking my dc's to concert in London tomorrow. Will be using over and underground trains. After Paris, I'm worried sad

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 14-Nov-15 11:05:24

I would feel the same as you, and in light of what has happened your feelings aren't irrational.

However you are probably safer taking them this week than you were last week, security will be ramped right up now.

I hope you manage to relax enough to enjoy the concert flowers

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Nov-15 11:07:30

I think secretly most people in cities are a bit worried, but it will pass as always.

I wouldn't worry about the trains as I don't imagine anyone would bother blowing up a fairly quiet Sunday tube/train. Probably far more likely during the rush hour.

Either way, we just have to carry on as normal because what's the alternative?

DisappointedOne Sat 14-Nov-15 11:37:17

YABU. Terrorism thrives on fear. Don't feed it.

DisappointedOne Sat 14-Nov-15 11:38:07

(And before you say it's easier said than done, I was around the corner from Russell Square on 7:7).

Nanny0gg Sat 14-Nov-15 11:48:13

And bear in mind that the security services will be on high alert now.

Probably safer at the moment.

cailindana Sat 14-Nov-15 11:50:17

Totally understandable but you have to carry on living. You may get shot, you may also die a long and horrible death from cancer. But if you sit in your house trying to avoid death then you might as well not be living at all.

Thymeout Sat 14-Nov-15 11:51:53

After the tube bombings, there were a few people who avoided the underground for a bit. But they got over it.

Millions of people use public transport in London every day. Your chances of being caught up in an incident are v slim. There's probably a slighter higher chance of disruption, tho' - with stations closed to investigate 'suspicious' packages or hoax calls. As is happening at Gatwick at the moment. So be prepared for that.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 14-Nov-15 11:54:42

I would imagine security is so tight in London it is likely to be very safe as people will be extra vigilant.

I do understand your hesitation and would be equally unsure if I was in your position.

bornwithaplasticspoon Sat 14-Nov-15 11:59:07

If it was just me alone - no problem. It's taking the dc's that makes me uneasy. I'll suck it up! I agree we have to just carry on. Feeling so emotional today sad. Thanks all.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 14-Nov-15 12:00:32

If it were me, i wouldn't go - but i suffer from anxiety so anything out of the ordinary would trigger a panic attack for me.

INeedNewShoes Sat 14-Nov-15 12:03:20

London will be safer today than it was 24 hours ago. Security will have been stepped up hugely.

I understand the fear but it's not a fear I share.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 14-Nov-15 12:04:46

I don't know that I would call you irrational - but possibly over-anxious would fit the bill. I understand your feelings, but if you were around in the times of the IRA bombs, and the attacks a few years ago, then did you let those stop you from doing things?

IRA bomb attacks were part and parcel of my youth - I went to university in London, travelled on the train every day, never let it stop me. Because you just can't - you have to live your life.

Chippednailvarnish Sat 14-Nov-15 12:21:47

Agree with Thumb. I was slightly injured by an IRA bomb going off near my school as a child.
Then when living in Hertfordshire as a teenager I had friends who weren't allowed into London in case there was a bomb. So what happened? The IRA tried to set a bomb in St Albans.

It's unsettling, but there is nothing you can do except avoid leaving the house, which means the terrorists have won.

It's also worth remembering that there are 8,539,000 people living in greater London. The odds of anything happening to you are minuscule.

KathyBeale Sat 14-Nov-15 12:31:05

After 7/7 a friend of my friend's decided it was too risky to get the tube any more. Instead he chose to cycle. And he got hit by a bus. (He was fine - just a bit battered and bruised - luckily) I always think of him when I'm tempted to alter my behaviour because of security concerns. Life is unpredictable and fear is their aim.

HereIAm20 Sat 14-Nov-15 13:25:27

In true Child of My Time fashion my 23 year old son rang me today to ask whether he should go into London. I said the same as above. the risk remains the same today as it did yesterday and last week but actually everywhere will be higher alert and thus it may even be safer to go today than in 6 months.

Please live your life. Don't let them hold you a captive.

catfordbetty Sat 14-Nov-15 13:30:58

I understand you and also thought twice about going into central London this evening. I will, of course, for all the reasons people have given above.

Chippednailvarnish Sat 14-Nov-15 13:36:25

Strangely enough my clearest memory of 7/7 was having to catch a bus home as there were no tubes. I got off the bus walked around the corner only to find the police and a body in the road. Some poor man had been hit by a bus.

I doubt if many people worry about the probability of being hit by a bus.

Life is unpredictable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now