Talk

Advanced search

To take a buggy on the underground

(74 Posts)
worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 10:51:51

Sorry for the slightly dull question but posting here for traffic.

We are planning to take 4 year old DS1 to the Science Museum on an Inset day in a couple of weeks. We will also need to take 8 week old DS2. Given the long day I don't think a sling is doable as both DP and I have back issues.

I've done some research which is a bit contradictory. Some says South Ken tube station is ok for a buggy even though there are no escalators or lifts as the stairs are only a short flight while others say avoid at all costs.

We will be coming into Euston and need to meet parents in law near Embankment before heading to the museum so we will need to use the Northern Line initially which is fine as there are escalators at Euston but it's getting from there to the museum. I wondered if it may be easier to get a bus from somewhere near Embankment ?

Does anyone have experience of using a buggy at South Ken or any tips for the Science museum generally?

Thank you!

Oysterbabe Sat 14-Nov-15 10:53:04

Can you get a bus instead?

EdithWeston Sat 14-Nov-15 10:59:45

Yes, it's only short number of steps.

But avoid with a pushchair if you reasonable can, because it's invariably horribly crowded.

The number 9 bus goes from Charing Cross to Harrods, the. You could change bus or walk)

Hobbes8 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:01:26

I'm sure we took a buggy via South Ken when we went to the Science Museum. The problem is the volume of people rather than the stairs, which are a couple of short flights I think. You'll be fine, especially if you have extra adults to hold your 4 year old's hand in the throng.

SoupDragon Sat 14-Nov-15 11:02:02

I used to take the buggy folded on the tube and use a sling for the baby whilst in the tube system and the buggy for the rest of the time.

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Nov-15 11:02:53

Just avoid rush hour and you should be ok.

You could always use a sling just for that station, if you can manage that.

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Nov-15 11:03:05

*the station

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:03:07

Thanks. Looks like there is a number 9 bus from charing cross will take is to Constitution Hill and then change to number 14 bus to South Ken. That might be an option. It takes 45 minutes though as opposed to a few stops on the tube but if South Ken a nightmare with a buggy it might be the better option.

SaucyJack Sat 14-Nov-15 11:04:11

I take my buggy on the tube whenever we go to London. It's a bit of a faff for five minutes, but just of those things and it's soon over.

Will your back problems stop you from being able to carry it down the stairs between you?

MrsDeathOfRats Sat 14-Nov-15 11:04:21

I have just found this app: mumdergrnd.

Buggy friendly tube app. Might help

Artandco Sat 14-Nov-15 11:04:23

They are fine. But I would take a small folding one as a large pram will be a pain in rush hour and heavy to carry up and down stairs
Also bare in mind the science museum will be busy even if not half term so a folded pram can be checked into the cloak room whilst your inside for ease. And same in cafes etc, many will be full in that area so pram needs to be folded

AnyoneButAndre Sat 14-Nov-15 11:04:49

Two adults should be OK - it's one short flight of steps up to the barrier and then another one up to street level.

It can get crazy crowded, but an Inset day will be better.

EdithWeston Sat 14-Nov-15 11:06:33

Yes, it's fine if you fold.

A clip on shoulder strap for the pushchair helps if you're single handed (Maclaren used to sell them, and they definitely fit all umbrella fold, probably forward fold too, though I never had one of those in London as they're far less practical).

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:06:26

Sorry cross posts.

We could use a sling on the tube but then we've still got to lug the pram about too It's a maclaren but one of the bigger ones with a carry cot attachment so we couldn't really fold it down.

Artandco Sat 14-Nov-15 11:06:43

It's expensive but do look at the babyzen yoyo 0+ pram if you want buy a small folded pram. It folds hand luggage size so great if you plan of holidays in the next 3 years, and goes on your shoulder like a bag to carry up and down stairs. Can fit by feet on trains/ tubes/ buses. Good investment imo. Can be used for birth rear facing

CorporeSarnie Sat 14-Nov-15 11:07:39

There is also a direct bus from Euston to Charing X. Though slower, you get to see more on the bus, and the 4yo will enjoy it. Tube with a buggy is doable but best avoided, and the buses aren't too awful smile. This is particularly the case at Euston, where the Northern Line is deep, long escalators with a buggy is really quite dangerous imho.

EdithWeston Sat 14-Nov-15 11:08:56

The big maclarens do fold.

And is there any particular reason you couldn't do without the carry cot for one day? They go back to near-as-dammit flat.

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:09:55

Unless I took the carrycot off and put DS2 on the actual pushchair bit. It can be used from birth but I've been using the carry cot attachment as it's a bit more cosy while he's small.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help!

WorraLiberty Sat 14-Nov-15 11:10:04

Ahh I see, sorry I assumed it would be a stroller type for tubes/buses.

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:11:56

Sorry keep cross posting!

Artandco Sat 14-Nov-15 11:14:05

Actually reading again, I really just would take the sling. It's not a babybjorn type though is it? They kill your back

As long as it's a proper sling your backs should be fine as baby only 8 weeks old so tiny, and can swap who's carrying between you and dh. And presumably you will stop a few times for lunch/ coffee so baby can be put down then.

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:14:32

Think solution might be for us to take the carry cot off (can't fold it with it on). Then DP can carry the buggy while I have DS2 in the sling while we are on the tube. Or go on the bus - DS1 would be very excited by a bus ride. Loves trains too but might find the tube a bit scary!

worriedmum100 Sat 14-Nov-15 11:18:08

I've got a baby bijorn but also have one of those NCT caboo ones. The caboo is comfier but I still find it uncomfortable for long periods (learnt that the hard way after wearing it for 2 hours last week while accompanying DS1 class on a school trip!). Would make it easier to feed though.

Artandco Sat 14-Nov-15 11:21:18

If you can I def recommend the Boba 4g sling. Can use from newborn -3/4 years old ( great for trips into London also with 3/4 year old who might get tired and need odd back carry). Sell the darn babybjorn, they really really will not be helping your back

Honestly. I couldn't carry mien in babybjorn more than 30 mins. Then used boba for 2 months travel abroad with 3 month old and 18 month olds. Sometimes carried 18 hrs in one day fine. Best investment imo

Libitina Sat 14-Nov-15 11:25:24

Could you collapse the buggy down and carry it with the baby in a sling just whilst on the tube? Best of both maybe...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now