Talk

Advanced search

To not let ds go on THIS school trip to...

(150 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 00:41:01

...Toysrus...
Their theme is toys this term and have just had letter back saying this will be educational and enjoyable and they may take five quid spending money.

1. I fail to see how this is educational
2. It is commercial
3. We are broke and my life is spent managing dc's expectations down and I specifically avoid toy shops esp. At this time of year.

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 00:42:59

How ridiculous! Of course it isnt educational.

Refuse.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Sat 14-Nov-15 00:44:23

What? That's the worst school trip I've heard of.

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 00:47:45

They will also be visiting a small pet shop next door.
I plan to say I do not give permission and will send de in as normal and they can give him a book to read all morning.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sat 14-Nov-15 00:48:29

Not educational, if there's a toys 'r,U.S. there's likely to be at least a small town musuem with a toy section near by.

I'm also not sure they find that much in toys r us for five quid and all it's going to do is lead to loads of naggy kids and increasing pester power either very frustratedarents or upset kids.

Stupid trip at any time let alone near Christmas let alone a toy shop that's so expensive!

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sat 14-Nov-15 00:50:01

The pet shop I wouldn't have a problem with but any toy shop I probally would!

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 00:50:28

There are at least three museums nearby with a toy section

giraffesCantDoThat Sat 14-Nov-15 00:50:37

stupid

PinkFlamingoAteMyLipstick Sat 14-Nov-15 00:52:29

YANBU I would be writing a letter of complaint too, with exactly what you put in your post. How inconsiderate and stupid of the school. Even if they are intending to educate the children on how the store uses sophisticated marketing and shop floor layout to pressurise kids and parents into spending more (which would be a fine thing) there are more appropriate times of year to do it.

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 00:53:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nocabbageinmyeye Sat 14-Nov-15 00:53:53

That's ridiculous! You surely won't be alone in saying no, you should definitely say why too

SummerNights1986 Sat 14-Nov-15 00:58:48

It sounds like a crap school trip op but I bet the majority of the kids will still go, and will enjoy it.

Aw...don't send him in as normal if he can't go. There's nothing so miserable for a young kid as waving the rest of the class off whilst you sit in school.

Mmmmcake123 Sat 14-Nov-15 01:00:16

Sounds very odd, what are the proposed benefits?

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 01:02:48

Yes, it really is toysrus. I don't want to name the school or otherwise complain as I otherwise rate the school.
I can't afford a day off work and I think the school needs to be responsible for my child. Would also not want an unauthorised absence.

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 01:04:09

The benefits have not been explained other than it will be educational and enjoyable

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 14-Nov-15 01:04:16

Nah. No way.

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 01:05:45

Potatoface2 Sat 14-Nov-15 01:11:01

i think its appalling....i would kick up a stink at the school and even go as far as the school governers!

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 01:11:23

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 01:13:19

SummerNights1986 Sat 14-Nov-15 01:15:18

Thinking about this more deeply, maybe it's not quite as shit as it appears.

My dc went on a school trip last year...to Tesco. I can remember thinking when the consent form came out Tesco? Why the fuck would they take the kids there?

BUT...the dc loved it. They got taken 'behind the scenes' in the fresh fish section and in the bakery. They had a talk about getting food from the farm to the table, designed healthy eating plates. They got to make their own bread rolls in the bakery which they brought home.

They also came home with a fuck load of Tesco branded leaflets and offers and samples hmm so I don't for a minute think Tesco did this out of the goodness of their hearts.

But still...it was a good trip, one that my dc enjoyed and it did have some value.

Could this be the same kind of thing? Maybe Xmas related, toy production, the mechanics of building stuff...I don't know.

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 01:18:10

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 01:18:23

I actually looked on their website in case this was a new thing they were doing and I had missed.
It is surreal. One parent thinks it is crap but will send her kid for quiet life, other parent will keep their kid home. I don't have that option and think the school has to be made responsible for my child in these circumstances
Don't want to kick up a stink with other parents or governors but no way is ds going

alltheworld Sat 14-Nov-15 01:21:22

Years ago I had a macdonalds party and was taken behind the scenes. I wouldn't mind if they went behind the scenes at sainsbury which is actually opposite this toysrus. Or even build a bear just for fun
But I just cannot see what they will learn at a toy megastore...except how to spend money

pinotblush Sat 14-Nov-15 01:22:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now