Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

rip... Is that it?

(87 Posts)
CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 23:01:12

This pisses me off every fucking time I see it.

If you are genuinely short of characters couldn't you at least use capitals?
Otherwise there is no excuse for 'rip'.
It's lazy, callous and insensitive.
'rip' what the fuck does it mean? All it says to me is I can't be arsed to think of anything appropriate so this will do and I can't actually be arsed enough to use capitals.
If you want to say 'rest in peace' just bloody type it in full!
Or better still, think of what you actually feel and want to say rather than some shitty, meaningless pacifier.

Can you tell I fucking hate 'rip'?

And breathe...

BrianCoxReborn Fri 13-Nov-15 23:02:57

Commonly used by the "hun" brigade, I find.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 23:03:54

yeah I know what you mean it smacks of "I'm not really that touched by it but feel I should say something"

It's the sympathy equivalent of lol

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 13-Nov-15 23:05:04

I'm amazed at how many atheists use RIP/RIP.

There is no RIP-ing if you're an atheist. Do you think people know that?

ShamefulPlaceMarker Fri 13-Nov-15 23:05:35

Yanbu!

Yes brian i reckon that's true hun smile

Jaxsbum Fri 13-Nov-15 23:06:17

are you so bored OP that you couldn't find the pendants topic

hmm

BrianCoxReborn Fri 13-Nov-15 23:07:19

Are you so bored that you had to comment to ask somebody how bored they are?

BrianCoxReborn Fri 13-Nov-15 23:08:09

I AM so bored that I had to comment to ask you if you were bored enough to comment on whether somebody else is bored.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 13-Nov-15 23:09:28

I was wondering that too Halfpenny. If you're athiest then dead is dead, nowt peaceful or unpeaceful about it

Jaxsbum Fri 13-Nov-15 23:10:04

wellcome on . do a AS the OP is a wind up merchant who is a yawn fest

CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 23:11:48

Jaxsbum, name says it all. It's not about pedantry. I'm asking for a little, teeny, bit of fucking respect.
If you want to say something meaningful because you feel something then you will take the effort to type the words out in full or at least use a capitals for abbreviations.
If you're just not arsed but you want to pretend, you will type 'rip'.

Salmotrutta Fri 13-Nov-15 23:12:52

If you believe in a "resting in peace" scenario then I do think it requires capitalisation to at least convey some seriousness.

CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 23:13:48

Jaxbum I've been using Mumsnet since about 2000. Probably longer than you've been using grammar.

Jaxsbum Fri 13-Nov-15 23:14:00

CainInThePunting try google. if you can't work my name out..

ALemonyPea Fri 13-Nov-15 23:14:35

YANBU I hate it too.

Salmotrutta Fri 13-Nov-15 23:14:39

I don't believe by the way and therefore never use RIP.

BrianCoxReborn Fri 13-Nov-15 23:15:15

I can't be arsed AS every OP of every thread I click on,.to be fair.

CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 23:16:24

I have no interest in googling you Jaxsbum. Sorry.

multivac Fri 13-Nov-15 23:16:27

I bet they don't bow their heads to the correct angle, either. Fuckers.

And MrsLH you only rest in peace if you're an atheist. Everyone else has to move on to the next bloody level.

Oysterbabe Fri 13-Nov-15 23:19:40

I think it's fine for atheists to say rest in peace. It's a phrase that's fallen into common useage. To me it means that the person has left the worries of life behind, you don't get much more peace than being dead.
I also say 'Christ alive' and 'for gods sake' and other such phrases. They're just part of language.

LoveAGoodRummage Fri 13-Nov-15 23:27:17

Is this social media related? It is the death of grammar, spelling and common decency after all.

U2HasTheEdge Fri 13-Nov-15 23:28:10

There is no RIP-ing if you're an atheist. Do you think people know that?

As a PP said I think not going elsewhere when you die is pretty restful.

It doesn't make sense for someone religious to use it because there is no resting if you are going to heaven/hell/ the spiritual plain or whatever, is there?

CainInThePunting Fri 13-Nov-15 23:29:22

Woah, Multivac I'm not in the slightest bit religious. I don't believe in the lfe hereafter. I just think if you are going to say/type something then basic respect requires you to say it properly.

Imagine your Mum dies and all a person can say to you is 'rip'. You come back into work work to a chorus of 'rip' and you will wonder if they are a pond of frogs. It means fuck all.

sarah00001 Fri 13-Nov-15 23:32:21

I agree. I think simply saying RIP is insulting. If you can't be bothered to write a proper sentence, you should write nothing at all.

ApricotSorbet99 Fri 13-Nov-15 23:36:29

Pretty stupid thing to say, MrsLeighHalfpenny

If someone has died after a long, painful struggle, even atheists can see their end as them "resting in peace". It's certainly a more poetic, and realistic, idea than some shite about angels or being with Jesus etc.

And, by the way, RIP is actually a pretty dumb thing for a religious person to say if they think the soul is off somewhere else.

Having said that, I agree with the OP. It's trite and irritating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now