Talk

Advanced search

AIBU getting frustrated with Mumsnet password length requirements

(32 Posts)
EleanorRigsby Fri 13-Nov-15 21:01:32

I don't logon here a lot. I read some of the links from the weekly roundup.
I was thinking of adding a little quip and tried to logon. Turns out I forgot my password.....so I did the password reset link.
Now I have had to enter a password 10 to 40 characters long and include a symbol or a number.
I'm frustrated because this is not a website where my personal or banking details are stored...I would normally use one of my memorable easy to remember passwords, but one that is still reasonably secure...capital, lowercase number and symbol. But those ones are usually 6 to 8 characters. But Mumsnet fascists security demands min of 10 characters. However aaaaaaaaa1 is "acceptably complex" as is password99.
There, glad I got that off my chest...

Oysterbabe Fri 13-Nov-15 21:06:12

Yanbu. Being forced to choose passwords I have zero chance of ever remembering gives me the rage.

janethegirl2 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:11:13

FuckUp1234 works for such requirements grin

IvyWall Fri 13-Nov-15 21:21:40

Use one of your usual passwords and repeat it.

Oysterbabe Fri 13-Nov-15 21:24:31

Nope Jane you need a character too, I usually use a #
There are loads of sites I don't go on anymore because having to reset my password every time fucks me off. I pretty much only use sites that keep me logged in grin

janethegirl2 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:35:42

So they've changed the requirements yet again sad

janethegirl2 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:37:07

FuckUp@1234 will be the new password grin

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:10

YANBU! Even Amazon aren't as strict!

HermioneWeasley Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:36

YANBU, it's insane

BertieBotts Fri 13-Nov-15 21:39:35

Well MN was hacked, and everyone complained that their password requirements weren't strict enough! That's why they were reset and they changed the requirements because literally loads of MNers asked them to.

BertieBotts Fri 13-Nov-15 21:40:06

Were none of you around for any of Jeffgate?

somersetsoul Fri 13-Nov-15 21:40:12

YABU - Its to stop hackers getting your personal details you have one here. We've had a big thing in work about hackers recently. A guy sat in on his laptop and within seconds had cracked our login passwords. You should use letters, numbers and symbols on every password. Or a phrase that you will remember.

If someone cracked one password I bet it would get them into most of your online accounts!

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 13-Nov-15 21:40:34

I think it's sensible. The Jeffrey incident highlighted many chinks in MN's armour.

MsJamieFraser Fri 13-Nov-15 21:43:31

I disagree, if you look at the uproar when the hackergate was first known about thousands of people were up in arms about security and how vulnerable/name-changers could be identified.

All fun and games if you use the site for fun... Not so much for those who required more unidentifiable posts to their usernames.

I'm glad MN have upped security, people on here are vulnerable, and they should be protected by having armed police at their property as some MN posters dos as well as justineMN!

whois Fri 13-Nov-15 23:00:03

I use a password manager - so you only need to remember one really good complex password. Has revolutionised my internet use - no more 'oh shit what's my username for this ticket buying site used one three years ago'.

Was a bit of hassle to sort out initially but now it's fab.

RockNRollNerd Fri 13-Nov-15 23:03:11

YANBU

Correcthorsebatterystaple

Gruntfuttock Fri 13-Nov-15 23:09:30

My browser (Firefox) remembers my passwords for me. My PC is very secure so I am happy to use this.

AwakeCantSleep Fri 13-Nov-15 23:11:20

YANBU. It is so annoying. I am now using the 'first character of words in sentence' method. E.g. 'My best friend John has 3 cats and a dog' --> MbfJh3caad

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 13-Nov-15 23:14:20

The passwords weren't "cracked" though. Jeffrey set up a fake login page and got the passwords that way - makes no difference if your password is 3 or 33 characters long.

EleanorRigsby Fri 13-Nov-15 23:25:41

IvyWall : - I really wish I'd thought of that method, it would have saved angst.

Bertie - no, I dont remember Jeffgate - can someone post link? or should i search ?

Somerset - I'm aware of levels of security required - I wouldn't use one of my easy passwords on my bank accounts say - and all my bank accounts all have different passwords. But blogs and tumblr, instagram say are pretty low level to me and my personal information, so as such I really couldn't give much of a hoot if someone guessed or worked out access to those.

Anyway I take solace in that it's not just me that gets a little bit frustrated by what I believe to be inappropriate security levels on some websites.

Trills Sat 14-Nov-15 00:01:29

What I'd really like is for the password pages to remind me of the requirements.

Username:
Password: (btw the password has to be at least 10 chars and include uppercase lowercase number)

But you are absolutely being unreasonable to be annoyed that you are required to have a password that is not "123456" or "password" or "qwerty"

OddlyLogical Sat 14-Nov-15 00:13:50

YABU
Of course the password requirements need to be strong - do you want your account to be hacked and made public?
There are methods for remembering long complex passwords but using a password manager is probably the easiest method.
Far too many people use the same simple passoword for everything.

Junosmum Sat 14-Nov-15 00:15:20

It's ridiculous isn't it! It's just a flipping forum. Places that store my card/ bank details don't require this level of security. Drives me nuts.

EleanorRigsby Sat 14-Nov-15 06:07:45

"But you are absolutely being unreasonable to be annoyed that you are required to have a password that is not "123456" or "password" or "qwerty""

Trills I didn't say that. What I said was that Mumsnet security allows such passwords you quote (except they have to be 10 characters long as a minimum)

RitaConnors Sat 14-Nov-15 06:49:29

I looked at 'the list' when Jeff posted it and it was surprising how rubbish some peoples passwords were.

Password
Qwerty

Lots of usernames as passwords.

My mum writes all hers in a book. Hack proof!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now