Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you would have a problem with paying to see this show?

(30 Posts)
manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 19:19:08

For context:
I am involved in two different amateur theatre groups. One has a very high standard and the other much less so. The second group is a charity but the first is not. Which does give the second group an obligation to include everyone where possible, regardless of dramatic ability (we have some kind of education clause). The first group is free to (and does) hold very intense and competitive audition processes.

The dilemma:
The winter show I am in with the second group has two cast members who find acting really challenging but love it and, for the first time, a cast member with learning difficulties. This individual is actually really good but has quite unclear speech and doesn't always understand where to go when.

The tickets for the show are not cheap (around the £8 mark) and I am worried that we will get complaints from the audience that the show was not worth paying for. The show itself, many of the individual actors and all of the children and dancers are very good.

I suppose my question is:
Would you have a problem with having paid for a show that is done by an inclusive group? The posters cannot really make this clear (do say registered charity I think but that's all).

carabos Fri 13-Nov-15 19:23:52

I recently went to watch a former colleague in her am dram show. Ticket was £13, the show was terrible. I mean really bad. I'm not sure that people expect Oscar winning performances from groups like this - the clue is in the title, they're amateurs.

FanSpamTastic Fri 13-Nov-15 19:24:53

What kind of audience are you expecting to buy tickets? Is it likely that they will be friends and family of those participating? Who will therefore know the aims of the charity? I would not have an issue. How about a short speech before the show explaining a bit about the charity and its aims and purpose?

LIZS Fri 13-Nov-15 19:25:24

£8 seems pretty cheap to me. Is it in a church hall?

cashewnutty Fri 13-Nov-15 19:25:24

I would love to see a show which had an inclusive cast. I don't think £8 is to much to pay.

lighteningirl Fri 13-Nov-15 19:25:28

I would happily pay £8 for an inclusive cast it all adds to the fun I never expect perfection in am dram

JeffsanArsehole Fri 13-Nov-15 19:25:29

I really doubt anyone would complain. Most of these shows are populated by friends and family of cast members.

I expect nothing of am dram and am delighted when even one person can sing or act.

cardibach Fri 13-Nov-15 19:29:44

I tend to expect amateur groups to reach a high standard these days - many are absolutely incredible. However, I assume people buying tickets will be aware of the ethos of the group. I'd be happy to pay on that basis:after all, performance costs are the same for both. If the inclysive nature of the cast was not clear, I would be unhappy though...

Frusso Fri 13-Nov-15 19:30:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Enjolrass Fri 13-Nov-15 19:30:51

I would imagine that people will know it's a charity show so will be happy whatever.

It really sounds like you are overthinking this.

Do you have a problem with it being inclusive?

manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 19:30:55

Not a church hall, no. School theatre that we can get very cheap because a couple of the committee teach there.

Glad people think the price will be ok.

manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 19:36:23

Enjolrass - no, I don't think I have a problem with a group being inclusive. I wouldn't take part if I did. I suppose it does make me worry more about how we are perceived.

I suppose, if I'm entirely honest, I prefer performing with the other group because it is much more rewarding for me personally (I know a lot of think all amateur stuff is shit but, in my experience, large numbers of amateur performers are professionally trained but either didn't manage to make a living in their chosen art, chose not to or did but have now stopped. Lots of others have careers in the arts and a lifetime's experience in performing. So I've found a lot of groups are very good.)

TheRealQueenOfEngland Fri 13-Nov-15 19:42:42

Sorry but it does sound like it's you that's got the problem and you're projecting it onto your potential audience. You're worrying about how you'll be perceived because you're performing with someone with learning difficulties.

manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 19:45:46

Does it really seem like that? What I'd rather expected everybody to say was that including the person with learning difficulties would not bother them but that including the people who aren't very good would. Interesting that it seems like the LD are more of a problem. I didn't know that I thought like that. Maybe it comes across differently to how I think. I hope I don't think that!

TheRealQueenOfEngland Fri 13-Nov-15 20:05:06

Maybe you're just taking it a bit too seriously and so worrying about it too much. I find that the 'best' actors in an amatuer production are the ones who are enjoying it the most even if they stuff it up a bit.

manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 20:18:16

Yes, that's quite possibly true, RealQueen. I do kind of have to take it seriously because if we don't at least break even on our shows we'll fold and I'm on the committee. But there probably is an element 'thespy, melodramatic frustrated actress' about me too grin I was planning to be a dancer/musical actress when I was younger but I got pregnant before I could do much and had to choose a real career job that would pay the bills. wink So I suppose I see amateur stuff as my passion rather than the bit of fun it should be. Totally agree with you about visible enjoyment making a performance good though.

Janeymoo50 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:18:48

£8 sounds totally ok I'm my view, I certainly wouldn't complain if it was less than west end standard at that bargain price.

AnthonyBlanche Fri 13-Nov-15 20:20:56

I definitely wouldn't come to see your show. However if it was something I wanted to see £8 tickets wouldn't put me off.

iklboo Fri 13-Nov-15 20:26:10

As a former am-drammer I love to see inclusive groups. Ours was a pretty mixed bunch, 8-70 some with learning difficulties, some with disabilities. Nobody complained - I don't think anyone was expecting Sir Ian McKellan & Dame Maggie Smith.

The main thing is that the audience has a good night & can see how hard you've all worked.

iklboo Fri 13-Nov-15 20:27:20

Oooh blimey - I didn't mean that as pretentious as it sounds! 'As a former am-drammer' - makes me sound like I've got a cloak & silver handled cane! blush

whois Fri 13-Nov-15 20:27:46

£8 is a very cheap price so I would be expecting an ammature production. Therefore it should be fine to have someone in who isn't all over it.

whois Fri 13-Nov-15 20:29:01

I've paid a lot more than £8 and there has been someone with unclear speech so I really wouldn't worry.

Helmetbymidnight Fri 13-Nov-15 20:35:46

I wouldn't let it worry you. Even in the best productions, there are weaker and stronger actors. I find them all entertaining!
At £8, the audience will be happy to overlook a few issues.

putcustardonit Fri 13-Nov-15 20:36:05

I've paid a lot more than £8 at our local arts centre and seen some utter drivel. Inclusive is great and no one will be expecting Vanessa Redgrave.

manicinsomniac Fri 13-Nov-15 21:43:47

iklboo - haha, don't worry, I got what you meant. And yes, I definitely see what you mean about the value of hugely mixed groups. Although the poncey artist in me prefers the v. competitive group I'm in, I do prefer the atmosphere of the inclusive group - less cut throat and 'ohhh dahhhling, you were simply mahvellous' grin. Plus that group charges £15 a ticket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now