Talk

Advanced search

To get someone the same present two years in a row?

(20 Posts)
lastqueenofscotland Fri 13-Nov-15 11:26:35

Last year for Xmas I bought my sister (teenager - over a decade younger than me sob) tickets to an event. She really enjoyed herself and has said she wants to go again this year. (Read every time I go round to my mums she asks if we can go again). Is it dull to buy the same thing twice? It's just a bit too much ££ for me to afford as a random treat as well as a Christmas present

Sirzy Fri 13-Nov-15 11:28:07

If that is what she has asked for and you can afford it/want to get it then why not?

BlueMoonRising Fri 13-Nov-15 11:28:34

It's fine if it's what she wants.

monkeysox Fri 13-Nov-15 11:28:52

Perfect present as you know she'll love it

Birdsgottafly Fri 13-Nov-15 11:36:11

Fine, my DD wanted to see Wicked more than once, so it had to count towards her presents.

We go as a family every year to see The Rocky Horror Show and used to go to The Circus of Horrors, they had to count towards presents.

coconutpie Fri 13-Nov-15 11:38:10

This is a perfect present! Your sister will be thrilled.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 13-Nov-15 11:42:58

Phew smile I guess I know I'd probably not want the same thing twice so was worried about that but as you all say I'm sure she'll love it so I'll get them ordered!

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 13-Nov-15 11:48:36

Fine. My mum's DP is a nightmare to buy for, and most presents bought for him sit in a pile in the living room gathering dust. However he likes a particular brand of jumper/ fleece so I have bought him another one of those as I did last year - he wears them practically all the time and when they start looking shabby wears them for work (mechanic) so I know it's a present that he'll use.

ChessieFL Fri 13-Nov-15 11:49:07

I always get people the same thing and along these lines e.g tickets to an event, annual subscription to something - my mum always gets her NT membership renewed as a Christmas present and she doesn't mind at all!

Lynnm63 Fri 13-Nov-15 11:57:16

If that's what she wants then go for it. One ticked off your list.

MaxPepsi Fri 13-Nov-15 12:01:55

I sort of buy my SIL the same thing for birthday and Xmas each year.

She likes a particular brand of china and wants the full Xmas service that they do. It is not cheap. I get her something from the range each year so she can add to her collection. I have done this off my own back rather than at her request and she looks forward to it each year as I try to get something a little different, that doesn't matter if she doesn't have a full set.

wigglesrock Fri 13-Nov-15 12:05:09

My mil buys me the same thing every year - I really like it, it's a toiletries set and I really look forward to getting it. I usually buy my sister the same dear brand of make up every year for Christmas because she can't afford it on a day to day basis but she loves it. In fact if I think about it quite a lot of the presents I both give and receive would be a repeat or a version of a repeat. It's never really been an issue.

chillycurtains Fri 13-Nov-15 12:09:21

That sounds like a great present as she obviously really wants it. Why don't you just buy her a box of chocolates or bath bomb and wrap it up with a note saying she has a ticket for the event as well. That would be a lovely gift. Your sister is lucky to have a thoughtful sister like you.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 13-Nov-15 12:13:46

Much much better to get her the ticket she really wants than some random thing she'll undoubtedly be less keen on (and probably secretly thinking oh I'd much rather have had a ticket for X...)

lastqueenofscotland Fri 13-Nov-15 12:28:02

Chilly that's a nice idea I might buy her a book and hide the tickets In it

MooseAndSquirrel Fri 13-Nov-15 12:35:00

I'm one further - my step dad gets the same slippers for his birthday AND Christmas every year - for last three years!!
He trashes them by wearing them constantly (even though half his time is spent renovating their house) but they're his favourite and he loves them so they are always in his gift bag!

lardyscouse Fri 13-Nov-15 13:47:07

NOOOOOOOO! Brother in law got me a subscription to Private Eye last year. I have begged him to do it again.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Fri 13-Nov-15 15:13:08

No not at all because she's asked for it!

Ywbu to buy her something dull and unwanted twice because you couldn't think of snything better or you thought she didn't appreciate it enough the first time. But for a gift she loved and has repeatedly asked for again, absolutely yanbu.

jeanmiguelfangio Fri 13-Nov-15 15:19:38

I get a magazine subscription to the same mag every year and I blooming love it! Much better than people buying me stuff I really dont want or things they think I'd like. Plus it really is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

londonrach Fri 13-Nov-15 15:21:32

Why not. She wants it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now