Talk

Advanced search

To find posting pictures on facebook of all your gifts tacky?

(108 Posts)
chumbler Fri 13-Nov-15 02:27:20

Ugh is it just my friends? when it's someone's birthday / leaving do / baby shower (!?) / end of school year they post pictures of all their cards and presents set out in a big pile. Drives me mad!! And sure I will see a LOT of this on Christmas!!

MsMims Fri 13-Nov-15 02:29:21

Yanbu.

I think it's sad really, some people seem to put on a performance for Facebook/ Instagram instead of just enjoying the moment.

Senpai Fri 13-Nov-15 02:35:54

I do it, but it's part of one photo in a birthday set of DD opening her gifts and eating cake. It's part of the "birthday story". Same with Christmas. I like showing what she wakes up to, and then her reaction to it. They could go in my private scrapbook, but I can also share the excitement with family. They don't mind.

I don't post it in and of itself to show off how many gifts she has though.

Sairelou Fri 13-Nov-15 02:42:34

Oh yanbu. It's like a pissing contest on my FB feed at the moment. Fair enough if there are pics of the child opening the gifts, but the pics of the great big pile of presents just screams 'look how much I can spoil my child' to me.

It's getting worse in the lead up to Christmas too.

FireCrotch Fri 13-Nov-15 03:03:25

There's a woman with twins on my fb. Last week she posted a pic of two huge piles of gifts. They were an exact mirror image of each other, wrapped up in pink and lilac wrapping paper. There was at least 15 presents each. Then there were two smaller piles for the unbirthdayed siblings. It looked like Christmas on pink princessy speed. It was way OTT. My kids gets a couple of gifts and possibly a new set of clothes. Their siblings get their day when it's their day. It's nice for the birthday child to be made a fuss of. They get to choose the evening meal and dh bakes a cake for them. They never seem to mind not receiving mounds of presents.

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 13-Nov-15 03:23:18

YANBU I wonder why exactly people need to show what their child has...or them for that matter!

chumbler Fri 13-Nov-15 06:33:31

Hmmm msmims I think a birthday story is something I would do too. Not sure if I'd post it all to fb though personally. But what I mean is a single posted photo of their hoard.

Am I the only one where adults post it of their own presents?!!!

TwoTwoOneBravo Fri 13-Nov-15 06:36:53

YANBU. I really do wonder why people do this. Kids excitedly unwrapping I'd quite like to see but a pile of gifts on its own? I don't get it.

wickedlazy Fri 13-Nov-15 06:39:17

I just scroll on. Doesn't bother me at all. Guilty of posting pictures of ds's santa present pile his first christmas, but it felt too much like I was trying to keep up with the Jones's so haven't done it again.

CuttedUpPear Fri 13-Nov-15 06:45:46

I've got nearly a thousand FB 'friends' due to the nature of the work I do.

I've never seen a single post like you describe. I think it reflects on the circles we move in. There was once a Britain First post, that person got deleted forthwith.

chumbler Fri 13-Nov-15 06:46:36

But those are all children.... Excited children is one thing but on my fb it is loads and loads of adults posting a pic of their hoard!!! Must be my friends....!!!!

chumbler Fri 13-Nov-15 06:48:32

Definitely "cutted* I'm so surprised it's not on everyone's fb!! I guess one or two adults have done it and started a trend?! Really annoys me though! Thanfully they all have children so even though they'll do the same over Xmas at least it will be their children's presents which I can't hate quite as much!!

CakeNinja Fri 13-Nov-15 07:12:11

I know people who do this.
Looks so tacky, who cares how many presents you've bought your children apart from them?
In the case of people who do this on my newsfeed, it's never a small pile of 3 presents, it's always at least 15, helium balloons, personalised banners etc.
Fwiw, I always buy lots of presents for my dc, they never have 3 for birthday or Christmas, they have loads. I just don't Facebook it for all to see. There's really no need.
Imo.

WombatStewForTea Fri 13-Nov-15 07:16:10

Eugh my brother's dp does this. There will be a Christmas photo album with 200+ deathly boring photos for each present there is a picture of the person (adult) holding it wrapped, then them mid - opening and finally them holding the unwrapped present to the camera. It annoys me way more than it should but I seriously wonder when they have time to actually enjoy Christmas/birthdays

Emmmder2015 Fri 13-Nov-15 07:16:12

I've got a FB friend who does this. The point of the picture isn't so much the mountain, but to have all the labels very clearly on display.

BillBrysonsBeard Fri 13-Nov-15 07:24:20

I haven't seen it for adults! Why would they post this!? I always see loads for kids though.. The massive piles for 1 and 2 year olds make me feel inadequate for a minute, I don't see the point of buying for babies. I'm enjoying not having to do it until DS knows what's going on!

JasperDamerel Fri 13-Nov-15 07:31:26

Some people use Facebook as a photo album for pets allowed use.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Fri 13-Nov-15 07:35:29

Facebook is either a place to show off or it's full of vaguebookers. I've just accepted it and if someone is particularly annoying I unfollow them.

Children will remember their childhood as a whole, it will be a generally happy memory or a generally bad one. They will not remember how many presents they received on individual birthdays, so I refuse to get into a pissing contest about that with others.

fastdaytears Fri 13-Nov-15 07:36:03

Oh loads of adults do it! I find it a bit confused

Also a lot of teachers/guiders (two groups of adults I know way too many of) seem to post pictures of their end of term gifts and then wonder why they get lots of passive aggressive comments from people who didn't get any so obviously aren't appreciated at all and probably rubbish at their jobs...etc etc...

JasperDamerel Fri 13-Nov-15 07:38:27

Sorry! I posted when trying to fix the autocorrect.

Some people use Facebook as a photo album for personal use. Some people like photos of presents as a nice thing to remember. Some people (OK, me, in this case) spend ages on the present wrapping and like to record it. Some people like to share photos of gifts being opened and appreciated in order to show gratitude to the giver. Some parents give lots of gifts, most of which are things that the 3 gift parents provide on non- special occasions

If I find myself looking at someone's Facebook posts and judging them harshly to that extend, I generally conclude that I don't actually like them and unfollow them.

Ginxed Fri 13-Nov-15 07:41:58

I've seen adults do it, it's a bit tacky.

Disclaimer: I posted a pic of a pile of 5-6 wrapped small gifts on my birthday because my 6yo twins had wrapped them all on their own. they were a hilarious car crash of sellotape and torn paper, with all of the gifts taped together in a lopsided heap and the card firmly fixed to the top using at least a roll of tape grin

Bunbaker Fri 13-Nov-15 07:48:56

I don't know anyone who does this. Perhaps I am more choosy about who I befriend on Facebook, but my friends don't feel the need to show off.

The kids ones I get, I upload pics of ds opening or playing with presents and also a pic of the tree when Santa has finished his job on Christmas eve - I have nobody else to share it with,it's just me and him.

However, photos of adults piles of presents, and piles of presents for anyone unwrapped I just don't get! That's more showy offy than sharing the moments, and that's from someone who spends hundreds on their child!

* as I'm I spend that much but find the unwrapped piles showy offy and sad. It screams of ' look at me'

Yourface Fri 13-Nov-15 08:19:27

I have 2 friends that do this. One who just gets ordinary presents and is totally not show offy, in any shape or form. Her pictures just seem to say she feels loved.

The other friend literally never posts on fb apart from exotic holiday check ins, @6-10 times per year and v expensive birthday presents...Tiffany boxes, mulberry bags, etc. I find that exceedingly tacky and shallow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now