Talk

Advanced search

how long would you leave your cats alone for

(62 Posts)
wtfisgoingonhere Thu 12-Nov-15 19:00:54

We have 2 cats; 2 years old (if that's relevant?) who are exclusively INDOOR cats.

(I realise some people have differing opinions on cats being indoor cats, but am not asking about that, just mentioned it as it's relevant to my aibu)

I will admit they are quite spoilt and showered with attention and I do kind of treat them like 'children' at times! (We don't have children)

I love them to bits but have a dilemma coming up - my sister's wedding, which means me staying away overnight for a couple of nights

Previously when we've been on holiday my mum has visited (daily) to feed them, top up water etc and give them a bit of a fuss...

Obviously my mum is going to be at the wedding too .
We don't know our neighbours that well as recently moved house, and don't really have any close friends I could ask to pop in

How long would you leave cats for in this circumstance, assuming the litter trays been changed and food/drink topped up?

This is a new dilemma for me and I genuinely don't know what to do or what is ok to do and I'm getting worked up about it

Suggestions welcome smile

Ailurophile Thu 12-Nov-15 19:09:27

Can you contact your local rescue for suggestions for a cat sitter?

I would not leave mine for more than one overnight (leaving late afternoon and returning at lunchtime the following day)

Brummiegirl15 Thu 12-Nov-15 19:10:16

You need to buy electronic cat feeders from Pets at home. They work on a timer and have ice packs in to keep the food fresh. So you can actually feed separate meals and the lid pops open at the right time.

We have 2 cats and swear by them - oh and whilst ours aren't indoor cats, they don't have a cat flap so if we were away, they'd stay in

MissPiggyandKermitsLoveChild Thu 12-Nov-15 19:12:32

I would use a cattery, for two days it would hardly be anything. Especially if they share a large run.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 12-Nov-15 19:13:07

Overnight if no one coming in, 4 nights with my friend coming in once or twice a day.
I have four cats, very spoilt and used to having me at home all the time.

ClaraLane Thu 12-Nov-15 19:15:04

We also have two inside cats and I won't leave them for more than one night. Can you have a look online and find a pet sitter to come to your house while you're away? We've done that before and it only costs a little bit more than putting them in the cattery.

wtfisgoingonhere Thu 12-Nov-15 19:16:18

Sorry, should have said, they have dry food ( kit e kat crunchy and tender)

Also we couldn't use a cattery as they aren't upto date with jabs etc as we have had them from kittens and they've never been out or in contact with other cats

jamhot Thu 12-Nov-15 19:16:25

I would second the cat sitter suggestion. DP's mum just came back from a week long cruise. She got a cat sitter from details on the vet's bulletin board, and she was delighted with the service. £30 for a week, and she had even popped a pint of milk in the fridge for her return! Bargain compared to a cattery (nicer to be at home too).

TendonQueen Thu 12-Nov-15 19:16:26

Get a cat sitter who can pop in once a day while you're away. It's always good to know one for other times anyway. Google for pet sitters or cat sitters near you : they'll come round to meet you first and you can check references. Like Brillo I've used automatic feeders for one night but for longer I get someone to come in.

ChatEnOeuf Thu 12-Nov-15 19:17:02

I'd leave mine for that long - she's pretty antisocial. But I'd but at least one more litter tray down - they can be pretty dismissive about litter trays once they've been used.

If any of your friends/neighbours have teenage kids, it's a pretty easy way for them to earn a few quid (and a way of meeting the neighbours)

takemetomars Thu 12-Nov-15 19:17:52

No to leaving them for that long. Put them in a cattery. You don't mention that as an option in your post, I am wondering why not??

wtfisgoingonhere Thu 12-Nov-15 19:18:11

I think I'm weird, as don't like the idea of anyone coming in our house either, we rent and I won't let anyone have the keys even for maintenance, will work from home.

Hmmmm I'm rubbish, what will I do blush

TheImminentGin Thu 12-Nov-15 19:18:34

I regularly leave mine for two or three nights at a time. They eat dried food so that is fine to leave a supply of plus two full bowls of water and cat tray freshly emptied and refilled.
They are thrilled to bits when I get back though and I don't like doing it really.

skankingpiglet Thu 12-Nov-15 19:20:58

We've left our cat for 3 days before. We've got a giant automatic timed feeder which will actually do 4 days. She's an outdoor cat so the litter tray isn't an issue, and she's much happier at home than in the cattery. My only worry is if she got injured and we weren't there to take her to the vets. Attention-wise (or lack of), she manages but is clingy for a day or so after. You have two so they'll keep each other company.

PiccalilliSandwiches Thu 12-Nov-15 19:23:44

We used to leave our indoor cat for 2 nights maximum. Any more and the vet nurse came as a cat sitter twice a day. For 2 nights I'd leave them, any more I would investigate cat sitters. I wouldn't have used a cattery as our cat was skittish and wouldn't have coped.

chocdonutyy Thu 12-Nov-15 19:23:37

I leave my three indoor mogs overnight without a problem, latest I've left them is early sat morning until late sunday, it does depend on actually how long you will be away not so much how many nights.
Any longer then I have put them in a cattery especially when going on holiday as i worry too much lol!
Even with the timed feeders you have to be careful, last time they didn't go off, user error I think! although ollie only eats dry food and I did leave plenty to be on the safe side.
Age is an issue as younger cats are more prone to zooming about and possibly getting into mischief, older ones tend to just sleep.
Catterys are safer I suppose as they have a lot more supervision and attention although some cats aren't happy, I know ollie doesn't eat much if any whilst there, I can actually feel him lighter when I pick him up!
Not sure this has helped lol but wanted to give my experiences smile

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Nov-15 19:24:42

Overnight. No longer. You need to think about vacs and cattery if you can't face someone coming to your house.

LittleLionMansMummy Thu 12-Nov-15 19:26:39

We've left our two outdoor cats for two nights with the garage open wide enough for them to get in for shelter and a bed put down, water and plenty of dry food. Longer than that and we ask our neighbours or for a long holiday we get a cat sitter to come in twice a day which is cheaper than a cattery when you have two. They prefer to be in their home environment so I don't like to leave them in catteries.

ILoveGreekCats Thu 12-Nov-15 19:30:00

I'm sure they would be fine for a couple of days if you left them plenty of dried food and enough water. And as they are indoor cats you wouldn't have to worry about them getting injured while you were away. Someone mentioned automatic food dispensers - I saw one that you could record a message for your cat at feeding time! But I'm sure you don't need one just for 2 days.

Cornwalldoula Thu 12-Nov-15 19:31:14

Depends on your cats and your definition of 'ok'. Couple of nights probably fine as in they will survive but might feel a bit lost without you. Can understand why a cattery would stress them out more... If you can afford a cat sitter to go in a few times, do that. Otherwise stick in some Feliway, leave loads of biscuits, clean litter trays and maybe the tv / radio on and they'll likely be fine.

whois Thu 12-Nov-15 19:39:36

Two nights I would, but our cats were mainly out door cats who we could leave with access to the utility room and would put down the timers for food.

Leaving Friday after work and back Sunday afternoon was fine for our cats.

LadyDeirdreWaggon Thu 12-Nov-15 19:42:06

No longer than 24 hours. As pp have said they will need to go to a caters if you can't face pet sitters coming in. Fwiw I put my indoor cats in a cattery for one night when I had no alternative and they were terrified. Never again - we get cat sitters in once or twice a day now as the cats are much happier that way.

LadyDeirdreWaggon Thu 12-Nov-15 19:42:29

*cattery

Caterina99 Thu 12-Nov-15 19:42:46

I also have a spoiled indoor cat! I'd leave her alone for one night, approximately 24 hours. Just put down lots of dry food and some extra water. When we went away for the weekend we asked a friend to call in once on the Saturday. For a weeks holiday I used a cat sitter.

wtfisgoingonhere Thu 12-Nov-15 19:45:54

Thank you all for the opinions

Will discuss with hubby what options are and also see if a work colleague can pop in maybe

Thanks again, feeling bit better now ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now