Talk

Advanced search

to think that this 'transsexual' Jesus play should not get public funding?

(509 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

whatwilltheythinkofnext Thu 12-Nov-15 16:07:22

I would say 'no words' but how about "disgusting, insulting, disrespectful, immoral..." need I go on? How does this awful thing get 'public funding' - I'd be demanding a refund of my council tax. Enough already!

DawnOfTheDoggers Thu 12-Nov-15 16:08:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laffymeal Thu 12-Nov-15 16:08:50

Oh look OP, you joined up just to start this thread. What a larf.

laffymeal Thu 12-Nov-15 16:09:39

"No words"....that sounds about fine, just say no more words.

"Need I go on"...No.

Hope this helps.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 12-Nov-15 16:09:51

eh?

EastMidsMummy Thu 12-Nov-15 16:10:00

Art is meant to challenge and confront. YABU.

PinkSquash Thu 12-Nov-15 16:10:15

What?

ouryve Thu 12-Nov-15 16:12:03

Haven't a clue what you're whittering on about, but in what way is this play immoral? Does a cute kitten get exterminated every time it's performed?

GloGirl Thu 12-Nov-15 16:12:21

Has the Daily Mail comment section been closed temporarily? grin

whatwilltheythinkofnext Thu 12-Nov-15 16:12:38

www.christian.org.uk/news/%E2%80%98transsexual-jesus%E2%80%99-play-to-be-aired-at-belfast-festival/

sorry!

Kingie1 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:13:06

It's sounds great

doceodocere Thu 12-Nov-15 16:14:11

Do you have a problem with public funding for the arts in general?

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Thu 12-Nov-15 16:14:56

NFB. As in, not f***ing bothered.

LemonySmithit Thu 12-Nov-15 16:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 12-Nov-15 16:15:47

Immoral?

Is there any evidence to suggest Jesus wasn't transexual?

multivac Thu 12-Nov-15 16:16:51

Jesus is all of us. Making them genderqueer seems a rather beautiful thing to do, to me.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 12-Nov-15 16:17:31

"god" got an underage married girl pregnant and your worried about transgenderism being involved in a play you can choose to watch or not.

did you find Alanis morrisette playing god in dogma offensive too?

I thought the whole point of drama and performing was to put your own take.onto things and explore different ideas.....

whatwilltheythinkofnext Thu 12-Nov-15 16:17:49

OK - so I name changed in case I got idiots like some of you on here. You didn't disappoint. One of the purposes of Mumsnet is to confront and challenge - so I am challenging the bigots out there who think it's OK to treat Christianity as some kind of plaything to be mocked and insulted. There comes a point where even Christians should not be 'turning the other cheek' - even Jesus overturned tables when He got riled at the money changers insulting His temple.

Yes art is meant to confront and challenge - I am very confronted and so challenged that I am incredibly angry that public funds are being used in this way. I don't like to say, it but since I assume you would like me to - if I was a Muslim or a Jew being 'challenged' in this way - I'd be insulted and want to know why public funds are being used for this.

If you choose to insult in this way - use your own money - not the decent taxpayers!

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Thu 12-Nov-15 16:19:32

I fail to see how having Jesus portrayed as a woman could be "disgusting, insulting, disrespectful, immoral", unless you're suggesting there's something "disgusting", "insulting", "disrespectful" and "immoral" about women. So in conclusion, YABVVVU.

Hatethis22 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:19:34

You're not unreasonable to think. In fact, I think you should try it more often.

PinkSquash Thu 12-Nov-15 16:20:07

But the indecent taxpayers obviously outnumber the indecent, and it's a play, no one is forcing you to watch?

PinkSquash Thu 12-Nov-15 16:20:34

Outnumber the decent. Grr.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Thu 12-Nov-15 16:20:38

I think just like the outcry over Monty Python's Life of Brian, it would be important to see the play before being thoroughly outraged.

ImperialBlether Thu 12-Nov-15 16:21:30

Sometimes it's better for your health to just have a cup of tea and mull over the foibles of the world and then get up and carry on with your life, OP.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Nov-15 16:22:05

Slightly more balanced take on this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now