Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to complain about salesman?

(12 Posts)
DrMum83 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:21:47

On Tuesday afternoon, a man knocked on the door asking if I would participate in a survey about food. I duly obliged.
It became apparent that he was trying to flog a product which is on special offer.
It was a good deal so I was close to signing up but he then said to complete the purchase, he would 'phone his colleague on the doorstep and I should give my card details there and then'.
I backed down then as wasn't keen to do this and wanted to just take his leaflet and look online at the company.
I said this and also that I'd like to discuss with my DH that evening.
He laughed in my face and said 'oh c'mon love, dya run everything past your husband?'
I said, 'well we have joint finances so yes, when appropriate, I do' thinking wtf does it have to do with you
He said 'well, text him please and I'll return in one hour', I refused as didn't want to bother my DH at work. The conversation continued like this with him arguing with me about my reservations and sneering at my objections.
In the end, after 20 minutes, he said he'd return tomorrow at 1pm. He looked pissed off.

After thinking about it, I was pissed off with the hard sell technique and decided against the product, thinking if I did change my mind, I'd just order it online from the company.
So, the following day comes round. My baby is teething and had had a hellish night and so I put a note on the door politely asking he refrains from ringing the bell and thanking him for his time but we weren't interested.
At 2.30pm, low and behold, he rang the bell (prolonged ring) DICK. The note was obvious. And taped to the glass very securely.
I emailed the company to share this.
My DH laughed when I told him and thought I should have just let it lie.
Do I need a hobby/get back to work after mat leave?? It really peed me off!

laffymeal Thu 12-Nov-15 15:24:05

Sometimes when you're stuck at home all day with a fractious baby and haven't had much sleep, this kind of thing can drive you over the edge. I've over-reacted to things like this myself although the Sales guy did sound a bit of a dick. Bit of column A and column B on this one I think smile

Chchchchangeabout Thu 12-Nov-15 15:27:08

Yanbu he is a prat and not going to achieve good sales that way

gymbummy Thu 12-Nov-15 15:37:22

I think salesmen (or women) who behave like this should be pulled up on it. You were (rightly) annoyed by him, there are more vulnerable people who might have been very distressed by this sort of pushy, aggressive behaviour.

There must be some sort of course he can be sent on to learn how to be an effective sales man without being a tosser.

DrMum83 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:41:04

The action plan from the company was to send him for further training. They replied and sorted it within two hours so I was impressed! But yeh, some elderly frail lady could have been really shaken up by his insistence - particularly with the threat of returning the following day.

Leelu6 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:44:01

YANBU. What an asshat. Did you open the door and give him hell for ignoring your note asking him not to ring the bell?

@laffy - I don't think OP has over-reacted at all.

DrMum83 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:49:42

No, I didn't open the door because I couldn't be arsed with having to explain myself to him again and I'm a massive wimp
I wish I had now.
To be fair laffy I do wonder if mat leave has turned me into a mardy old woman!

laffymeal Thu 12-Nov-15 15:50:53

Lol, it certainly turned ME into one OP!! grin

ElvisPelvisPenis Thu 12-Nov-15 15:51:43

YANBU OP and he clearly misled you at the beginning as you were led to believe it was a survey rather than a sales call.

DrMum83 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:53:14

The rage that consumes me when the bin men dare to empty the recycling bin when the baby is asleep is unreal, especially as it is full of wine bottles which make an awful noise

Floggingmolly Thu 12-Nov-15 15:53:35

Your only real mistake was to spend 20 minutes arguing with him on the doorstep. Why didn't you just say "no, I've changed my mind" and close the door in his face?

VulcanWoman Thu 12-Nov-15 16:02:19

Best to disconnect the door bell permanently.
I don't answer the door to anyone I don't know or I'm not expecting.
You're not obliged to answer the door, it's your house/door so it's your choice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: