Talk

Advanced search

Do people really consider it unreasonable to eat on the train?

(789 Posts)
MyNewBearTotoro Thu 12-Nov-15 09:42:07

Reading another thread in which a poster mentioned eating on the train and I was really surprised by the responses calling her unreasonable/ antisocial for bringing food onto the train and the vitriol she was facing for this alone.

Do people really consider it unreasonable to eat on the train or is this just one of those 'only on Mumsnet' things?

I know it's not pleasant to be stuck next to someone eating smelly food, but equally lots of things are unpleasant on trains - being crammed in close to a stranger, oversized luggage, crying babies, other people's conversations, air-conditioning to high/low etc - but just because some people may find it unpleasant does that automatically make it unreasonable or anti-social?

In an ideal world people would not bring smelly food onto the train, but in an ideal world neither would people bring on crying babies/ noisy children etc but we are human and we need to eat, especially as many people will be making journeys over several hours long. Choices of food are usually limited by either what is available on board the train or what is available from the shops on/ around the station and sometimes hot or fast food is the only option available.

Obviously hot food is permitted on trains, my local train company has buffet carriages which sell hot food (including bacon rolls) and sandwiches (including tuna fish or egg mayo) for people to buy. So I'm not questioning whether it's allowed but I guess I'm curious as to whether people genuinely think it shouldn't be. And, considering it is allowed, are people who do eat on trains genuinely considered anti-social or unreasonable by some?

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 12-Nov-15 09:43:13

I would consider smelly food in any confined space very anti social.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 12-Nov-15 09:43:25

I don't have a problem with it providing the person disposes of their litter properly (unlike the person on the other thread!).

StealthPolarBear Thu 12-Nov-15 09:44:34

I eat on trains. I think this is an only on mn thing

Lollipopgirl8 Thu 12-Nov-15 09:44:46

A sandwich yes fine if your hungry!
Full blown curry and trimmings or anything else with a really nice smell maybe not

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 12-Nov-15 09:45:21

Smelly, greasy food is a no-no in my opinion.

usual Thu 12-Nov-15 09:45:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bambambini Thu 12-Nov-15 09:48:04

The train in get up to London sells bacon baguettes on it and booze, so I don't think they mind. Taking a kebab on a busy tube train is probably another matter.

whatdoIget Thu 12-Nov-15 09:48:48

I'd rather people didn't eat hot food, because of the smell. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though.

VulcanWoman Thu 12-Nov-15 09:49:04

Homemade egg sandwich is a no no, I love them but wouldn't have them on a train etc.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Thu 12-Nov-15 09:49:41

Oh ffs. Of course it is ok to eat on the train as long as normal manners are observed.

Anyone who says it isn't is being a special snowflake and needs to get over themselves.

Define smelly. I hate the smell of coffee. But I don't object to other people having it. I know people who dislike the smell of yoghurt.

Live and let live.

Jeffreythegiraffe Thu 12-Nov-15 09:50:53

Depends if the food is smelly I guess. Otherwise no I'm not bothered.

The times I've worked a 12 hour shift without a break I would grab something for the way home, too hungry to care.

JeffsanArsehole Thu 12-Nov-15 09:51:06

The only food which should be eaten outside (not in a cafe/restaurant) is ice cream cones, picnics, fish and chips at the seaside.

Anything else looks 'common' hmm

All according to long deceased granny. I couldn't do otherwise because of that.

MildVirago Thu 12-Nov-15 09:52:01

A sandwich or piece of fruit or anything cold that doesn't smell strongly and/or explode into a spray of greasy crumbs is fine. I do think anything smelly or messy in a confined place is highly inconsiderate. There's nothing more stomach churning then getting onto a train to have someone get on with a massive, strong-smelling McDonalds.

timelytess Thu 12-Nov-15 09:53:12

It smells bad, that's all. Even a modest chicken or salad sandwich has a smell.
There are signs up telling you not to do it, so you're breaking the rules (Manchester trams and buses - not sure about trains).
Don't leave litter.

I think people are making a silly fuss about it on that thread. I am sure I've sat near people with smelly food. I don't exactly remember though cos I wasn't bothered enough or traumatised enough to even probably think about it or get all offended on behalf of my nose. Ridic.

NanFlanders Thu 12-Nov-15 09:53:49

I had no idea that it was a no-no to eat on trains! Why do they have buffet cars and trolleys then?

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 12-Nov-15 09:54:28

Anything that might entice a guide dog is also a no-no...

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Thu 12-Nov-15 09:54:35

If it's a long train journey and the train has a buffet carriage, then it's fine to eat on a train.

If it's the tube/just a normal train journey with no food provided on board, then you are being anti social and inconsiderate by eating on the train.

Obviously there are shades of grey here. On the thread in question the person was eating a macdonalds, which reek to high heaven. Things like fish or whatever stink as well.

Someone eating a small non stinky sandwich is obviously not that big a deal. A diabetic eating a chocolate bar for their blood sugars is no big deal.

I don't see how you can compare children/luggage to eating on trains either. You can eat before or after a train journey (is there anyone alive who hasn't got on a train hungry and just had to wait until they arrived at their destination to eat?). Do you expect children and luggage to just magically teleport to their destinations?

londonrach Thu 12-Nov-15 09:54:54

Tbh as a communter who uses the trains daily Smelly food shouldnt be eaten but nothing wrong with chocolate or snakes. Yesterday someone was eating a chicken salad from marks and i hadnt eaten all day. The smell was amazing!

londonrach Thu 12-Nov-15 09:56:06

Snacks not snakes!!!!

hackmum Thu 12-Nov-15 09:56:24

I hate getting on a train where people are eating, particularly if it's disgusting smelly food like McDonald's. It's really antisocial. Why can't people just sit down and eat their food at a table? Why do they have to eat on the move?

A lot of the time you can't help taking babies and children on the train - children need to get from one place to another too.

LineyReborn Thu 12-Nov-15 09:56:36

It's got to be a weird MN thing.

Of course it's normal to eat on a train journey - that's why you can buy hot food from the buffet car.

Maybe the objectors don't approve of passengers eating on planes, either. Or in dining room on cruises. Or in the confined space of a restaurant or café.

SaucyJack Thu 12-Nov-15 09:57:02

I only think it's unreasonable if someone else is eating and I'm sat there hungry.

Else anything goes- specially on a long journey at the end of a day out to the city. Why not I say?

EatShitDerek Thu 12-Nov-15 09:57:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now