Talk

Advanced search

to be worried because my flat is full of gas?!

(32 Posts)
lilyb84 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:09:29

Just got home, DH is at work. He left at about 4/4.30. I could smell gas when I walked in and found one of the hobs full on in the kitchen. It's a small flat, just a one bed. I'm pregnant and we have two cats (who seem fine). I've opened a few windows as much as I can and turned one light on when I got in but I'm scared to touch anything else. Is there anything else I should do?!

Sorry, end of 3 long days at work and I haven't eaten properly since yesterday lunchtime. I seem to have lost the ability to think straight...

Aeroflotgirl Wed 11-Nov-15 20:10:58

I would get out, and call 999.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 11-Nov-15 20:12:12

You should probably wait outside, and maybe warn your neighbours too.if

Preminstreltension Wed 11-Nov-15 20:14:21

don't touch any electrics and get out.

FreeWorker1 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:17:02

Erm.... you switched on the light.

That is what usually ignites a gas explosion. The spark from the switch.

As long as you have windows open in each room for 1 hour and absolutely sure no further gas is leaking anywhere you will be fine.

OddBoots Wed 11-Nov-15 20:20:31

I think the OP means she put on a light before realising.

Open as many windows as you can.

Do you have a car you could go sit in and read/play on your phone for an hour or so while it clears?

seasidesally Wed 11-Nov-15 20:20:44

well if youve opened windows etc and turned alight on it dosent sound as if its goona bang

keep windows open and as wide as possible

my son done the same the other day gas hob,i opened doors to front and back gardens,made sure it had a good airing

have you checked the gas is of o the hob,im sure you have just checking really

Bunbaker Wed 11-Nov-15 20:25:06

If the smell disperses after opening the windows it might be OK. However, if it doesn't you turn off the gas supply and call 0800 111 999 straight away.

I see that you live in a flat, so it wouldn't just be you that is in danger, but your neighbours as well.

lilyb84 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:30:58

Thanks all, just had my first okay, second pregnancy meltdown I think!

I called the has emergency helpline and they're sending someone round to check it's safe. In the meantime I've turned off the gas at the mains, opened all the windows and now just have to wait and not turn anything else on or off.

lilyb84 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:31:37

*gas emergency hotline. Of course.

jevoudrais Wed 11-Nov-15 21:06:43

Hope all is OK OP.

This is why I have an electric cooker. My small breed dog is very naughty and will jump on worktops and walk across the cooker. This way I can turn it off at the mains and no one will come to any harm no matter what she does. I was surprised that not all gas cookers have a cut out. When we moved into our new house, the one that was left didn't have a lid that cut the supply off etc, and nor did my Mum's old one. She had a gas lever in the cupboard which cut off the supply to the cooker though that she then used when she didn't need it on, just in case something like that might give you reassurance? It cost £40 to fit when she had her boiler serviced.

I wonder if your cats could have turned it on? I think the electrician thought I was mad when I said it was for the dog, but its the truth!

lilyb84 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:09:20

The cats may indeed be the culprits jevoudrais - if that's their latest trick I'm unimpressed to say the least! Might have to tape down the knobs if so...

LindyHemming Wed 11-Nov-15 21:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Wed 11-Nov-15 21:16:46

" I was surprised that not all gas cookers have a cut out"

I have a free standing gas cooker that has a glass lid which acts as a safety cut out.

oneowlgirl Wed 11-Nov-15 21:19:31

Have they arrived Op? You ok?

MsJamieFraser Wed 11-Nov-15 21:38:16

You need to open all the windows and doors to the property, and do not use your mobile phone in the property as it can be an ignition point, Also you need to get your cats checked out because they may seem ok but they have been subjected to gas for a long period of time.

lilyb84 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:50:25

Engineer has been and gone, everything's fine. Normally I'd feel guilty for wasting their time but glad to have the reassurance. He reckoned the cats did it too but you have to press the knobs down in order to turn them so if they did I'd hope it was just fluke!

PurpleCrazyHorse Wed 11-Nov-15 22:46:24

Great news OP, hoping it wasn't the cats and isn't repeated.

We had the gas emergency people out just after we bought our house as I smelt gas in DD's bedroom (no one else could), they were absolutely brilliant. Even though they couldn't smell the gas, they ran their tests until a tiny leak appeared on their results. Turns out there was a hairline fracture in a pipe under DD's bedroom floor and the gas had built up underneath. Moving in had disturbed the floorboards and let the gas out. Luckily, being pregnant, I had a heightened sense of smell. I'd recommend anyone to ring them if their even just a tiny bit worried, they were with us within an hour on a Sunday.

Roomba Wed 11-Nov-15 22:53:10

Glad all is okay, OP. I remember my panic when I arrived home from work to find one of the gas hobs on full and the stench of gas everywhere! My then DP had knocked the knob whilst carrying a box past the cooker, and not noticed before he went out. It dissipated pretty quickly once all the windows were opened, but I'm so glad I smelled it before I turned any lights on!

missymayhemsmum Wed 11-Nov-15 23:10:45

My daughter was always smelling gas, kept calling the engineers out (on my advice). Turned out to be a dead rat under the floor, which is apparently very common and almost indistinguishable. No honestly.

SistersOfPercy Wed 11-Nov-15 23:24:02

Our gas meter is in the garage. Opened it up one morning and could smell what I thought was gas. After some deliberation I called them out to check.

Gas man was amused. Id given up smoking a few weeks before and evidently my sense of smell was properly returning. My old, musty garage was a scent I seemingly couldn't detect before and I thought it smelled like gas.
I felt really really stupid but we had a laugh about it and he said he'd rather attend a hundred false alarms than a domestic explosion.
blush

SummerNights1986 Wed 11-Nov-15 23:28:23

I would get out, and call 999.

You're not serious?!?

This isn't a gas leak. This is a hob that was left on. The only fix for which is to turn the bloody hob off and open all the windows and doors to let it air out.

What would you expect the emergency services to do?

SistersOfPercy Wed 11-Nov-15 23:32:07

What would you expect the emergency services to do?

Come and give the cat a stern talking to. grin

Fatmomma99 Wed 11-Nov-15 23:36:46

I've had the EXACT same problem this evening, but it my case, it was the
jerusalem artichoke soup I had at lunchtime.

Glad everything ok for you, and good luck with your pregnancy.

Sadly, in my case, not such a happy ending... the dog is traumatised and DD is never going to speak to me again, and several people at my exercise class were seen edging away.

Griphook Thu 12-Nov-15 00:03:08

*I would get out, and call 999.

You're not serious?!?*

Glad I'm not the only one who though that, it would never occur to me to call the police

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now