Talk

Advanced search

when is 'black friday'? Or whatever its called?

(25 Posts)
BeckerLleytonNever Wed 11-Nov-15 17:30:02

so I can avoid going out, like the plague.

didn't know last year and it was a nightmare.

AIBU to boycott it?

is it worth the pushing and punching just for 10% off something when thre are always sales going on all year?

LittleMissAIBU Wed 11-Nov-15 17:31:16

Think it's the last Friday in November?

CiderwithBuda Wed 11-Nov-15 17:32:20

Friday 27 Nov. I know this as it is the weekend my sister is coming to do Xmas shopping. We planned it badly!

Might just go to Asda as they are nt doing it!

ginghamcricketbox Wed 11-Nov-15 17:33:43

27th November

noeffingidea Wed 11-Nov-15 17:35:00

It's on November 27th.
You should be ok to go out . Asda aren't doing it instore, apparently it wasn't profitable last year. Don't know about other shops though. If you want a bargain you're better off doing it online.

SofiaAmes Wed 11-Nov-15 17:38:14

It's the day after American Thanksgiving which is always the 4th Thursday in November.
Don't forget Cyber Monday which has started early in the last few years. I just bought a kindle paperwhite and an ipod nano $30 off and $50 off online in the last few days.

HelenaDove Wed 11-Nov-15 17:43:21

The scenes i saw online and on tv last year on Black Friday were disgusting.

And from what i remember shop assistants got hurt.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 11-Nov-15 17:46:59

Because people give each other black eyes in a scramble to nab a cut price telly.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Wed 11-Nov-15 17:51:08

Can we give it back to the US?

SofiaAmes Wed 11-Nov-15 18:06:22

It's like anything....the media focuses on things that get people watching/reading the media. It's no different than reality tv shows, or rubber necking when you pass an accident on the freeway. Don't watch and you won't feed the machine.

HelenaDove Wed 11-Nov-15 18:14:25

Sofia not watching it wouldnt have stopped people getting hurt like those shop assistants.....if we all turned our tvs and computers off tonight would that stop all the wars.

Im talking about the people who got hurt and the employers who expected them to suck it up.

RufusTheReindeer Wed 11-Nov-15 18:19:59

I'm working...in a shop

Its a naice clothes shop though so maybe it won't be too bad <hopeful>

SofiaAmes Wed 11-Nov-15 18:20:26

Helena, yes actually it would. Black Friday is not like a war. The stores use the fervor surrounding it as advertisements. If nobody is watching the advertisements, they will find other ways to ply their wares. Anyway, I'm not quite sure why you think the shop assistants who got hurt were not compensated (not that that makes injuring them acceptable).

HelenaDove Wed 11-Nov-15 18:25:26

Ah Sofia I see what you mean re advertising but it is unacceptable that any shop assistant should even have to face a small possibility of being hurt at work. Any store taking part in this kind of farce should not be taking risks with the safety of their employees.

Not thinking that its ok as long as they bung them a few extra quid afterwards.

Whatthefoxgoingon Wed 11-Nov-15 18:30:12

Shopping online is as close as I get to Black Friday!

AspieUnicorn Wed 11-Nov-15 18:30:11

I think it's a shame that a few people who behave like animals have to spoil it for the rest of us and make sales assistants afraid to go into work when it happens.

I got some excellent bargains online last Black Friday.

reni2 Wed 11-Nov-15 18:53:07

Is it actually cheaper? I thought they are just increasing the price in the run up to it, then slash them on the day, is that so?

SquinkiesRule Wed 11-Nov-15 19:35:21

Online on Black Friday is good, I usually stalk Amazon and the lightening deals, that how I got Ds a laptop for Christmas one year and then Dh got a GPS another year.
Don't go near the shops it's carnage.

reni2 Wed 11-Nov-15 19:44:43

I am battle-hardened. I went to Aldi on school uniform carnage day.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 11-Nov-15 19:49:49

An outdoor store in the US, REI, is actually closing on that day and asking other firms to take part.

They want their staff and customers to remember why the store is in business, to get outdoors and enjoy yourself. #optoutside is their hashtag, it's gaining quite a movement

BMW6 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:37:08

Good for Asda for not doing it again, I say. Oh, the Humanity.....

noeffingidea Wed 11-Nov-15 21:57:16

BMW6 Asda aren't doing it to be good. It wasn't profitable for them, because people only went for the loss leaders (the cheap tvs, etc) and didn't stick around to buy anything else like food.
Apparently the whole thing adversely affected business in the run up to Christmas, as well. I'm not a business expert, but I think it's because we have a different spending pattern to the US, so it might not be the best business model.
Online sales did fantastic though, so.that's probably the way to go.
I agree with helenadove. Shop assistants getting hurt is totally unacceptable. I remember a few years ago a poor guy was crushed to death in America. Disgusting behaviour. The police weren't too happy either, they have better things to do with their time.

HelenaDove Wed 11-Nov-15 22:53:59

YY noeffing They are certainly not abandoning Black Friday for altruistic reasons.

BeckerLleytonNever Thu 12-Nov-15 16:29:24

I remember the scenes last year, Id gone out, thankfully not to Asda, but I saw the queue stretched round the block, and Asda wouldn't open its doors till 9.30!

Helena, exactly, its a disgusting dislplay of greed, and not just by shoppers, (for just a few pounds off???) by the shopowners and I really feel for the poor staff.

Im surprised more people don't get crushed to death.

HelenaDove Thu 12-Nov-15 21:25:36

I really hope employers who ARE taking part have some contingency plans in place to protect their employees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now