Talk

Advanced search

Ways in which your life has *NOT* been destroyed since having children.

(270 Posts)
Sortedforcheeseandwizz Tue 10-Nov-15 15:10:44

Are there any?! Can anyone tell me one thing that makes life with children better/happier/nicer than life before? (Or more than one, if you’re feeling particularly chipper today..)

Doesn’t have to be deep and meaningful, can be anything, big or small!

A combination of social media and a lot of "Just you wait!" people in my life has meant I'm starting to believe that motherhood is horrific and unmanageable. (Some big decisions ahead and having a wobble…)

Nabootique Tue 10-Nov-15 15:11:26

You can park nearer the supermarket.

Nabootique Tue 10-Nov-15 15:12:37

And then purchase Cheese Strings, Kinder Eggs, chicken dippers, etc. and no one will bat an eyelid even though you are going to scoff them all yourself-

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 15:12:38

I laugh more. DD is a comedy genius.

PansyGiraffe Tue 10-Nov-15 15:12:57

Well that's just silly isn't it?

The children themselves for a start.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 10-Nov-15 15:13:26

You can play. Loads. On swings, with lego, you can pretend to be cat for hours.

Buttercup27 Tue 10-Nov-15 15:14:43

Listening to your dc giggling even in the middle if the night is the best feeling in the world.
Having an excuse to play in the park, splash in puddles and generally be silly.
Disney films.

rainydaygrey Tue 10-Nov-15 15:14:57

Christmas has been lovely.

And yes, the children themselves. I adore them. I get a warm glow just thinking about them.

Cadenza1818 Tue 10-Nov-15 15:15:32

An excuse to play lego and any other child orientated activity! I love child logic and the funny things they come out with. Also I love re discovering things through my kids, like the excitement of an elephant shaped tree or summat!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 15:15:42

Oh and she has me doing things I wouldn't do. If she suggests something, and there's no reason not to do it, we do it. Impromptu hike around a lake? Yesterday we had Vietnamese food because she didn't eat her pretty crappy packed lunch and saw a restaurant.

Mydearchild Tue 10-Nov-15 15:16:11

Love. Pure, heart swelling, tear in the eye love. Mine are 11 & 12 now and I marvel at the way they are changing & I think it's great. We are on the cusp of teenage years and it's a whole new adventure!

ICantSpellNoffink Tue 10-Nov-15 15:16:21

My DC are adults now and all at Uni.

I was surprised how funny my DC were and are. They used to make me laugh out loud every day.

Even if they were making me mad they could still make me laugh.

sleepyhead Tue 10-Nov-15 15:16:35

Cuddles. Lots and lots of cuddles.

NickyEds Tue 10-Nov-15 15:17:30

Erm..........their feet are pretty cute

waitingforsomething Tue 10-Nov-15 15:17:56

My 3 year old is really funny. And her and baby are so cute. I get to play Duplo. I get to unconditionally love 2 little people i made. It's going to be fine!

mannequinonthemove Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:11

The "just you wait" people when you're pregnant are THE PITS. Why do they do it?

I had it all through my pregnancy too. "Oh just wait until the morning sickness kicks in, just you wait" (it didn't) etc etc

mumblebumble Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:32

You get to work part time, if you're lucky.
you get to snuggle a baby on demand.
Life is definitely different but I think I'm more content than I was before having DC, even though those are the only two concrete things I can think of!

sleepyhead Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:35

Oh yes, and doing stuff just because.

Having a picnic on a rainy day just because.

Going to the beach when you wouldn't have otherwise been arsed to.

Visiting places that were important to you when you were little because you want them to see it and get to do the things you did.

Nabootique Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:28

Your post made me smile MrsTerryPratchett smile

Oooh, colouring!

Seriously though, she is my best friend. She was before she could even talk. She makes me laugh.

ShellingPeasAgain Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:44

You can rediscover a love of trainsets and building lego. And using playdoh, making FIMO models and weird things out of papier mache.

You also get to go to see animated children's movies without people looking at you oddly.

trilbydoll Tue 10-Nov-15 15:18:53

Toddlers are really funny, DH taught DD to do a Will Ferrell impression last night. Hilarious.

If you want a cuddle or are just a bit cold there's a toasty little person to put on your lap.

You get mat leave and can then work p/t, it's nice not having to cram hair appts etc into the weekend.

You don't have to carry stuff because you have a wonderful pushchair that acts as a packhorse.

You can tell mine are still under 3 grin

Pipestheghost Tue 10-Nov-15 15:19:21

Water fights
Going on the soft play
Jumping in the ball pit
Making massive sand castles
Going on children's rides at the fair ground (Iove the tea cups)

Thurlow Tue 10-Nov-15 15:19:48

You can skip through town with a reason. I didn't realise how much I missed skipping.

Ditto going on the swings, under the pretence of teaching them how to use them properly.

spondulix Tue 10-Nov-15 15:19:56

Definitely the laughter, I laugh way more now than I did pre kids. Little people are really funny.

Cuddles.

So much love. Our house feels full to the brim with it.

TeamEponine Tue 10-Nov-15 15:20:02

The hugs and the giggles from DD are the best thing ever and have made an indescribable improvement in my life.

However, I'm not going to lie, 14 months of extreme sleep deprivation has not been fun! It all balances out to general improvement in my life, albeit a sleepy one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now