Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nameless

(61 Posts)
ciele Tue 10-Nov-15 14:38:18

My husband never, in 30 years, calls me by my name. He uses it in conversation when he talks about me but never directly.
AIBU to think this is odd?

molyholy Tue 10-Nov-15 14:39:43

What does he say if he calls you when you are in a different room/upstairs etc.?

Seeyounearertime Tue 10-Nov-15 14:40:04

I never call my OH by her given name either. It's usually darling, love, sugar cube, cockhead. Dependant on my mood.

If she calls me by my given name I know I've done something to upet her, like called her a cockhead.
grin

Epilepsyhelp Tue 10-Nov-15 14:41:21

Yeah I get called pet names all the time, I don't mind though. If you mind and he still does it that's annoying.

Nabootique Tue 10-Nov-15 14:41:21

Seems normal to me! I always get annoyed in TV shows/films where names are used excessively, I think so we just learn the names of the characters.

ciele Tue 10-Nov-15 14:41:56

He just doesn't say anything...except obviously the content of what he wants to tell/ask me.
He will come and find me rather than shout...as I do...loudly!

GruntledOne Tue 10-Nov-15 14:42:23

I get worried if DH uses my full name when talking direct to me, it tends to mean he's pissed off about something.

ciele Tue 10-Nov-15 14:42:59

No pet names for either of us...although not very nice ones go through my head sometimessmile

molyholy Tue 10-Nov-15 14:43:07

Yes - When someone receives a text on a TV show, the the sender puts their name at the bottom of the message.

ciele Tue 10-Nov-15 14:44:50

It's very obvious sometimes and a therapist told me it's a lack of intimacy.

MaidOfStars Tue 10-Nov-15 14:45:43

My husband hardly ever uses my proper name. It's really weird when he does. It's also weird when he uses it when talking about someone else with the same name as me. I find it fascinating to hear it come out of his mouth.

ciele Tue 10-Nov-15 14:48:03

My name is quite unusual and I think he finds it embarrassing to say??

dlwelly Tue 10-Nov-15 14:54:37

Mine doesn't either!

CaspoFungin Tue 10-Nov-15 14:57:32

I met my partner in a professional capacity first so he calls me by my full name rather than my nickname that most people use. I find it odd when he does say my name as I'm not used to it, most of the time I'm called by a pet name.

EssentialHummus Tue 10-Nov-15 14:57:43

I get worried if DH uses my full name when talking direct to me, it tends to mean he's pissed off about something.

^This. We refer to each other as "weasel" day-to-day, if that can be understood as affectionate. grin

Enjolrass Tue 10-Nov-15 14:58:10

Can't remember the last time dh said my name.

He doesn't shout me from another room either, he actually gets up and finds me.

I just shout him from another room.

Doesn't bother me at all. No lack of intimacy here

troubleatmillcock Tue 10-Nov-15 15:02:33

Does he actually know your name?

spiderlight Tue 10-Nov-15 15:04:11

Mine never does ever - always 'Darling'. I can't think of the last time he used my name. I don't think he likes it (I certainly don't!).

Osmiornica Tue 10-Nov-15 15:05:07

I always put my name on the end of a text - am I the only one who does this?

I do have a crappy phone though with no contacts in it so if I get a text with no name I don't necessarily know who it's from.

Do you have an odd name? Can't imagine why he'd never use it.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 10-Nov-15 15:05:35

My DH begins texts to me with my name, and signs them off with his name.

Idiot.

scatterthenuns Tue 10-Nov-15 15:07:59

Does he replace your name with a nickname, shout 'oi, you', or just not use a name at all when he wants your attention?

I've taken to calling DH Mr, or goblin. Those are quite affectionate.

The other two options are not!

scatterthenuns Tue 10-Nov-15 15:09:11

OP - have you posted about this before? Does he pronounce your name incorrectly? The embarrassing comment you made is familiar.

ShamelessBreadAddict Tue 10-Nov-15 15:10:09

My DH has a weird NN for me which he uses at home and then a different NN, (which everyone else also uses for me), he uses in public. He never ever calls me by my name. He did once a while ago and it was so unusual I said "what did you just call me"?

He never calls me cute pet names like darling, sugar cube either sniff sniff

MeeWhoo Tue 10-Nov-15 15:12:31

I think I remember reading that how often people use other people's names in general conversation is a measure of how extroverted they are.

I don't tend to use names much except when talking to children or in a shouting from another room/ trying to get someone's attention in particular if they are in a group sort of scenario. Only people I know and like can say my name often without it irritating me and seeming fake, although I realise this is my problem, not theirs.

MrsCorbyn Tue 10-Nov-15 15:13:56

I don't really use OH's either, I usually just shout darling... Or shit weasel...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now