Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be totally fucked off at work

(22 Posts)
NotSkinnyYet Tue 10-Nov-15 00:24:18

I know I'm being unreasonable, at least I think I am anyway, but I can't sleep & am still annoyed at this situation.

I lost my job this morning. Basically I went in as normal, got comfy and started working. Ten minutes later one of my bosses asked for a word in the meeting room, which I thought was a bit off, but when both of them came in I knew something was up. Between them they told me that the business had been operating at a loss for the past 3 - 4 months (as long as I'd been employed by them) and that there wasn't enough work coming in for the area of the business that I was working in, so they'd have to let me go. I have some small consolation that they will pay me until the end of the month and I don't have to come into work.

AIBU to think that they shouldn't have even started the hiring process when they must have known the business wasn't stable enough to take on someone else full time?

I have to say that there were hints things weren't going very well for the business but I didn't expect this at all and it's come as quite a bit of a shock to me. I left my previous job, which by all accounts was making me ill, for this one. I took this job because it was much closer to home than the 70 mile round trip commute I was doing 5 days a week and I started as soon as they wanted me to. I took a pay cut of £1.5k to try and ease the whole situation I was in by taking this job and now I'm in a worse position with no job and back into the job market. I'm also a bit confused because I was given a small bonus two weeks ago because I'd got a couple of clients some recognition and won them an award each. I asked them whether it was something I'd done but they said the decision had nothing to do with me and it was unfortunately just the way it had to be. I forgot to ask if they will provide me a reference but I'm assuming they will do, as they seemed like they would be willing to help in any way they could.

I know I need to jump in to finding another job but as silly as it sounds I'm just feeling so despondent and down about it all. I've been suffering from depression since September last year and since I left my old job I have felt in a much better place. I stopped taking my medication a couple of months back and have just tried to get on with stuff. I have supported my husband through severe depression since late spring last year, dragging us through really hard times, and he's not long back in to work properly. Today I just feel numb and drained. Financially we are screwed unless I pick up another job quick and I just don't know where to start. Looking at jobs for the sector I've been in they all want experience that I just don't have.

Valdeeves Tue 10-Nov-15 00:26:27

I'm so sorry you lost your job today flowers

ilovesooty Tue 10-Nov-15 00:31:35

I want to say that I'm also sorry to hear that. It must have been a shock.

ChillieJeanie Tue 10-Nov-15 06:37:51

Sorry to hear that. I lost mine on Friday, but in my case I had seen it coming - restructuring and specific new people brought into new roles had me thinking my job was going to be seen as not needed. I hate job hunting, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do it when I'm actually in a job so at least the axe finally falling is giving me a boot up the backside to do it.

I don't know if this also applies to you, although from your last couple of sentences it might, but I've always in the past been put off from applying for jobs I'm sure I can do because of the experience requirements. Right now I've seen and will be applying for a role that asks for 3 years experience when I can claim about 2 but for once I'm going to go for it anyway on the basis that it can't hurt and who knows? Is it length or specific type of experience that is the issue for you?

Best of luck with your job search, and don't feel bad about taking a day or two to recover from the blow if you need it.

19lottie82 Tue 10-Nov-15 07:35:29

Hi OP , yeah that's shit! I know it's not much comfort but it's happening everywhere at the moment! I got paid off myself a few months ago and it sucks! You'll be going through a multitude of emotions just now, so as someone has advised, take a day or two to relax and then start the job hunt, again.

19lottie82 Tue 10-Nov-15 07:38:47

PS IMO the best way to find work quickly if through recruitment agencies. Get your CV updated and call as many as you can to see what work they have coming in x

QueryQuery Tue 10-Nov-15 07:45:01

You poor thing. Have had the same thing happen and it's awful. Good luck in finding agreat new role.

Do check your contract though as they maybe obliged to pay more in lieu of notice.

Gazelda Tue 10-Nov-15 08:18:43

You were great enough to land this job when they were hiring. Someone else will recognise your talents and snap you up.
Ask your boss for a reference, and suggest he includes a mention of the recent award you got, and the reason you were given it.
Trawl the recruitment agencies, LinkedIn, spread the word amongst friends, family, past work colleagues.
Get someone to look over your CV.
I really hope you'll soon get sorted and it'll be a better job than the one you had.

Topseyt Tue 10-Nov-15 08:30:14

No advice that hasn't already been given. Just wanted to wish you luck.

It wasn't all that long ago that I was job hunting and it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Keep strong. Try not to worry about the demands for "experience", as you do have some in your field. Apply anyway.

GloGirl Tue 10-Nov-15 08:37:18

You have 3 weeks pay to find a new job. Mope today. Tomorow write your CV and write a list of local recruitment agencies, write a general covering letter. Write to every agency (the general email address for the branch not a specific recruiter). Advise you would like to drop on on Friday to see them and ask what time suits.

Thursday, check the local papers for jobs. Check out various jobsites on the Internet, see if there is a local Facebook page where jobs are posted.

On Friday, dress up, print 30 CVS off, a good pen and notepad and go walk round your nearest town to see the recruitment agencies and nip into anywhere you like the look of and ask if they're hiring.

Next week you should spend mainly looking for jobs on the Internet, but if you find yourself stuck by the end of the week you can think about some of the local jobs that are seasonal - rerail/restaurant/barwork.

You'll find something before Christmas, good luck flowers

NotSkinnyYet Tue 10-Nov-15 09:19:09

Thank you all for your advice and kind words - I'll be sure to follow it as I'm job searching and thank you for a detailed plan of action GloGirl, I really appreciate it smile I'm sorry to hear that some of you are currently in the same position flowers

Still feeing shit this morning, dropped the DCs off at school/nursery and DD2 (reception) turned round and said 'have a lovely day at work mummy', which set me off when I got back in the car. DH has told me to take today to do whatever I want and then get on it from tomorrow but I'll see how I go today. I think a few hours of cleaning followed by at least a bit of an online search would be good.

In terms of my contract they only have to give me a week's notice, which I'm currently on, and it does mention being put on gardening leave for that notice with a non-compete.

The thing about experience is I've about 4 months in this sector (marketing), which is also what my degree is in. My previous job was in the third sector, which gave me bits of experience in the marketing sector but nothing concrete. A lot of the jobs are asking for at least a year if not more of experience and I'm hesitant about putting in applications there. I think it may just be that I have to put applications in anyway because, as you rightly say Chillie, what can it hurt?

Depending on how the search goes I will look at immediate starts also, but still look at other more permanent jobs too. Thanks again and I hope those of you that are in the same position come up with something soon brew

Booyaka Tue 10-Nov-15 09:41:01

Yeah it sucks. It sounds like you're doing sales based marketing, is that right? It's a sad fact (and it may have much more to do with the buoyancy of the market rather than your capability) that if you are not bringing in enough income to generate at least your own salary you won't be kept on for long.

Have you thought about a less sales based marketing role? So you are doing 'in house' marketing or organising events etc? For example, I work for a public sector organisation where we market aspects of our work to the public & industry, and although we're marketing there's no sales involved as such.

GloGirl Tue 10-Nov-15 09:42:41

Gosh yes apply if you've had months rather than a years experience. In fact don't put month ls down on your CV just write your last job as 2013-2015 for example and 2015 as your current job

Marketing Director, 2015, Shit Company
blah blah job description, write in present tense

Obviously be truthful on application form and in person.

NotSkinnyYet Tue 10-Nov-15 10:08:58

No I worked for an agency, which offered marketing as one of their services so there were different clients that I handled social media management for, PR, email campaigns etc. I definitely don't want to go down a more sales type route as I don't think it's for me, though if push came to shove I would.

That's a good idea GloGirl, I will do that.

TurnWifiOn Tue 10-Nov-15 10:19:53

Can you ask the two customers that you got awards for to write you glowing references on LinkedIn and hit the job market.

Also is the pay that they are paying you counted as redundancy? if so its tax free.

Good recruiters won't be fazed by this short role, maybe have a sofa day and then hit the phone tomorrow?

SevenOfNineTrue Tue 10-Nov-15 10:22:07

I am not sure if this will help but when I was made redundant I got a low paid temp job to tide me over. The hours were flexible on most days, so I had the ability to go for interviews etc but still had at least some income coming in and it kept me busy to be blunt as being made redundant really did hurt me. I also didn't leave a gap on my CV and met some really nice people.

Good luck flowers

GloGirl Tue 10-Nov-15 10:47:49

Ah yes, good thinking on Linked In too flowers

CocktailQueen Tue 10-Nov-15 10:49:56

flowers

What a shock; sending you sympathy.

Get a glowing reference from your ex employers - and the companies you helped win awards, pick yourself up and get job hunting again. At least you've got a couple weeks' pay coming in...

imwithspud Tue 10-Nov-15 10:53:12

Oh that's really rubbish, sorry you lost your job. Hopefully you can find a new one quickly flowers

RubbleBubble00 Tue 10-Nov-15 12:57:21

Don't forget to mention the awards your clients won due to your work

areyoubeingserviced Tue 10-Nov-15 14:13:49

OP, nothing much to add. However, I thought I would just tell you that the fantastic job that I now have came about because I was made redundant from a previous job.
Every cloud has a silver lining....

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 10-Nov-15 14:22:07

I was given a small bonus two weeks ago because I'd got a couple of clients some recognition and won them an award each

Have you got their contact details? maybe they have an opening (or maybe they could be a reference even)

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now