Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with DP for saying I love you too much?

(358 Posts)
hotlinesling Mon 09-Nov-15 22:12:01

Every single time I catch DPs eye he tells me he loves me and/or kisses me. Every single text message he declares his love. In person, if I don't reciprocate he says 'I do...I do...' repeatedly until I say it or - more usually - change the subject. The most annoying one is in the morning. He leaves for work an hour before the dc and I need to get up. He can't help himself and always has to whisper I love you before leaving. This 9/10 times wakes the baby. Am I being a heartless cow for wishing he'd stop or am I right to be annoyed?

sooperdooper Mon 09-Nov-15 22:14:10

That would be too much for me, it loses meaning surely if it's said that much, but Im also the least romantic person in the world!

MillionToOneChances Mon 09-Nov-15 22:17:02

Whispering and waking you an hour before your alarm is stupid and selfish. The rest is sweet.

IndiaRaine Mon 09-Nov-15 22:17:06

Lol no. I was a bit sick in my mouth just reading your post grin

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 22:17:15

It sounds a bit needy TBH. Have you asked him why he needs this constant reassurance? Because he's not just saying it because he wants you to know, is he? He says so you'll say it back?

WheresMyBurrito Mon 09-Nov-15 22:18:05

Nah, YANBU. I'd feel suffocated by that.

hotlinesling Mon 09-Nov-15 22:18:16

Sweet, really?

"Would you like a cup of tea?"

"I love you"

Just answer the fricking question!!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 09-Nov-15 22:21:16

Being that needy sounds annoying, not loving.

scribblegirl Mon 09-Nov-15 22:21:21

I'm very big on saying 'I love you' - for example, I really hate it when DH leaves for work without us having said it (convinced that'll be the day he goes under a bus and I forgot to tell him I love him!!) but even I find that a bit much.

Is he quite insecure? Have you spoken about it?

CocktailQueen Mon 09-Nov-15 22:21:21

Eurgh... Really needy and off putting. Has he always been like this? Have you discussed it with him?

CFSsucks Mon 09-Nov-15 22:22:05

YANBU! This would drive me up the wall.

DH says it a lot but not on this scale thankfully. I hate being 'forced' to say it back because then it seems like it's not sincere.

I remember DH did this one evening. I counted 22 times in 20 minutes. It was very annoying. I get annoyed when asked if I'm Ok too much as well, yes I'm sitting MNetting, I'm in the room and look fine typing away, I don't need checking that I am Ok!

Littleallovertheshop Mon 09-Nov-15 22:22:16

Everything else is too much but the morning thing makes sense.

daisychain01 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:23:40

Sounds weird to me but maybe it's the way you are describing it. I don't suppose he thinks he's being weird but he is, sorry

AnyFucker Mon 09-Nov-15 22:24:02

yuk

ConsciousPilot Mon 09-Nov-15 22:24:02

What's he like in bed?

OurBlanche Mon 09-Nov-15 22:25:34

We may be married to the same man (which may explain why he reminds himself us me so often smile )

Currently we are going through a phase of emphasising one word: I do love you

I have asked who has disagreed with him, who he is trying to convince? Apparently it is me! He knows it is annoying as he often rolls this one out: I love you, sorry, sorry.... I love you.

After 30 years of it you'd think I'd have got used to it. Sorry, OP. It remains irritating smile

Cloppysow Mon 09-Nov-15 22:27:32

Meh. Until he woke the baby.

OurBlanche Mon 09-Nov-15 22:28:43

Oh and we have the numbers game too.

I complained that he always left me with the very lame "Love you too"... so now he adds - yes, you've guessed it - "Love you three, four"

But he can't control his competitiveness, so ends up loving me infinity to the power of n!

We watched Tangled(?) and he looked expectantly at me, presumably waiting for "I love you most"... and then chickened out of using it when I told him I would emasculate him whilst he slept if he dared utter it grin

BillBrysonsBeard Mon 09-Nov-15 22:29:15

My DP isn't quite that 'bad' but he does say it about 8 times a day! I maybe respond twice, other times just smile.. He knows I don't need to say it as much! I'd probably never say it if it was upto me.. blush Not all men are emotionless and not all women are slushy like the stereotype says! That sounds really overwhelming OP.. In a way it's great that he looks at you and feels a rush of love, but would be nicer if he kept it in his head and gave you loving smile instead. It does feel a bit meaningless when it's repeated.

LimitedSedition Mon 09-Nov-15 22:30:36

If my DP said 'I love you' to me, my reply would be 'What have you done?'

A man of few words, bless him.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 09-Nov-15 22:31:07

That would annoy me. it's one step down from pissing on you tbh

Weathergames Mon 09-Nov-15 22:32:33

I feel the most insincere men do this.

BIL who is constantly unfaithful to SIL while she is blissfully ignorant and OH when he was having an affair.

Not saying that's what happening but I always wonder about what they aren't saying.

Morganly Mon 09-Nov-15 22:34:16

Must be a fucking loud whisper to wake the baby 9 times out of 10. He sounds deranged.

catfordbetty Mon 09-Nov-15 22:34:30

That would annoy me. it's one step down from pissing on you tbh

Let's hope the OP's partner doesn't take things to the next level.

AnyFucker Mon 09-Nov-15 22:34:32

In my experience the ones who spend most time doing this faux romantic shit are the first ones to transfer their "affections" elsewhere

Something repeated so often loses its meaning, so I guess it is easily offloaded when it suits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now