Talk

Advanced search

If you don't like refugees coming, then stop voting for politicians who love to bomb the shit out of other countries

(64 Posts)
wigglylines Mon 09-Nov-15 21:54:10

AIBU to think they've got a point, really.

Kerberos Mon 09-Nov-15 21:57:42

Erm. Wtf. No.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 09-Nov-15 21:57:47

Yes, because it's really the British doing all the bombing. Absolutely all of it, all the way from Eritrea to the Turkish border.

confused

TwoSmellyDogs Mon 09-Nov-15 21:58:47

Sorry OP but I'm afraid you've embarrassed yourself with your simplistic world view and stupid meme.

HTH

pinotblush Mon 09-Nov-15 21:58:49

As far as I know the British dont bomb anyone?

MumOnTheRunAgain Mon 09-Nov-15 22:02:16

The elections came before the refugees made the news didn't it?? So how would that work?

TimeToMuskUp Mon 09-Nov-15 22:05:27

I don't mind refugees coming into the UK at all. Refugees need the most basic kinds of help, support, kindness and consideration any humans on earth can require. The things they've been through and seen must be soul-destroying.

I do mind dickheads and asshats posting memes about them as though they're what's wrong with the world today. What's actually wrong with the world today is that too many goadyfuckers bellends have access to memes, wifi and computers.

evilcherub Mon 09-Nov-15 22:06:31

Funny how this never applies to the Saudis who are currently bombing the shit out of Yemen (and have killed thousands of civilians) yet won't accept any refugees.

SuckingEggs Mon 09-Nov-15 22:07:29

Oh dear.

biscuit

Leavingsosoon Mon 09-Nov-15 22:07:33

Facebook memes sum up immensely complex political situations so well, I feel.

wigglylines Mon 09-Nov-15 22:07:59

"As far as I know the British dont bomb anyone?" If only that were true sad

From the Oxford Research Group

The UK's Creeping Intervention in Syria

Over the past year, the UK government has been able to increase UK forces involvement in Syria in three ways, all the time acting in such a way as to avoid parliamentary disapproval.

RAF pilots embedded with the Royal Canadian Air Force have been engaged in airstrikes in Syria, most likely flying CF-18 strike aircraft. ... Mr Cameron did agree that he was aware of this development.

British Special Forces, probably members of the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, were involved with US Special Forces in a raid earlier this year ... that was intended to capture a senior Islamic State logistics organiser, Abu Sayyaf. The aim was to bring him into custody for appropriate interrogation,... it failed in its main task when Abu Sayyaf was killed during the raid.

A British MQ-9 Reaper drone attack with Hellfire missiles was used to kill two British IS paramilitaries, Reyaad Khan and Ruhul Amin, in August, the justification being that Khan was orchestrating major attacks in the UK. The government made it clear that there might be further such raids

wigglylines Mon 09-Nov-15 22:09:53

Also from the same link

"At the end of the first year of the air war in early August the Pentagon estimated that US forces and their coalition partners had killed 15,000 IS supporters.

There were no figures given for civilian casualties or for the make-up of IS supporters killed – whether they were armed paramilitaries, support personnel or paid employees serving transport and other functions.

While the overwhelming majority of the deaths were as a result of US actions, other states were significat. In response to a parliamentary question,

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has just given an official estimate of “around 330” IS fighters killed by UK air strikes up to end of August."

Canyouforgiveher Mon 09-Nov-15 22:09:55

I do mind dickheads and asshats posting memes about them as though they're what's wrong with the world today. What's actually wrong with the world today is that too many goadyfuckers bellends have access to memes, wifi and computers.

Thank you.

SaucyJack Mon 09-Nov-15 22:10:47

I think the UK been very understated in Syria actually. Certainly compared to Afghanistan and Iraq.

I don't have a problem with refugees anyway (yes, very big of me) but the Syrian Civil War isn't our fault for once.

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 09-Nov-15 22:11:50

YABU. I seriously cringe at these things when they are posted. It shows a real lack of understanding of the situation.

TwoSmellyDogs Mon 09-Nov-15 22:20:07

Actually, thinking about it, that is possibly the shittest meme I've ever seen and I have FB friends who think Minions memes are funny. Did you make it yourself OP? It's terrible. Awful. Don't give up the day job whatever you do!

MumOnTheRunAgain Mon 09-Nov-15 23:58:45

op do you spend the day trawling Facebook for your 'news' and ideas?

wigglylines Mon 09-Nov-15 23:59:05

"I think the UK been very understated in Syria actually. Certainly compared to Afghanistan and Iraq."

Yes, we've dropped many, many more bombs in Afganistan and Iraq, of course. Your point is?

There are lots of refugees from Afganistan and Iraq. You don't think the two might be connected somehow?

The top countries people were fleeing from at the beginning of 2015, according to an article in the Independent recently were (with the most people first):

Kosovo
Syria
Afganistan
Albania
Iraq
Serbia
Pakistan
Ukraine

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 10-Nov-15 00:08:13

Do you honestly believe it is as simple as that fucking awful meme makes it seem? It's ridiculous!

wigglylines Tue 10-Nov-15 00:08:52

"As far as I know the British dont bomb anyone?"

Where do we start with this one?

How about we start in Afganistan. We were part of the military campaign there, along with the US. According to this page, during the war in Afghanistan (2001–present):

- over 26,000 civilian deaths due to war-related violence have been documented

- 29,900 civilians have been wounded.

- Over 91,000 Afghans, including civilians, soldiers and militants, are recorded to have been killed in the conflict

- the number who have died through indirect causes related to the war may include an additional 360,000 people

These numbers do not include those who have died in Pakistan.

Here is a list of British Drone missions and weapons releases in Afganistan (This is only for unmanned drones, not all bombs.)

Still think we don't bomb anyone?

Now you know we actually bomb people quite a lot, does the meme above make more sense to you?

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 10-Nov-15 00:10:40

The meme is fucking awful. And you need to actually do more than google random war statistics to fully comprehend what is happening. You can't even put into your own words why you think that meme is relevant, you're just throwing random pages at us.

ginghamcricketbox Tue 10-Nov-15 00:10:44

No and No

wigglylines Tue 10-Nov-15 00:13:52

"Do you honestly believe it is as simple as that meme makes it seem?"

No, I don't believe it's simple at all.

But there is huge ignorance about what's going on in the world, e.g. the PP who thinks we don't bomb anyone.

Questioning our part in the crisis and the effect of war is a very valid point IMO.

Take Iraq, for example - 5th on the list above - we went in, bombed the hell out of their country, utterly destroyed it, but had no plan for what to do to help rebuild it.

Then we sent in companies who got rich on rebuilding the oil industry.

It was an illegal war. And now there are refugees, again we should be taking some responsibility for this, voting the fuckers who did this out, and recognising that we have played a part in creating such an unstable world.

The Tories supported the Iraq war so they are just as much to blame as New Labour.

MumOnTheRunAgain Tue 10-Nov-15 00:17:05

It's like being back at school, someone always got in trouble for just writing what they copied from a book!

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 10-Nov-15 00:19:11

With good reason, it teaches you fuck all unless you make the effort to understand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now