Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your holiday suggestions?

(15 Posts)
chumbler Mon 09-Nov-15 19:41:51

Would love to go away in the new year, probably UK or easy abroad for maybe a long weekend or tiny bit longer. Trying to think of something to do now to start trying to persuade dh! We have a baby who would be about 10 months. Has anyone got any suggestions?? Sorry this isn't the usual aibu type post but I'm stumped and want something stress free!

KatieLatie Mon 09-Nov-15 19:51:37

Depends on budget. You could do something like a cruise from Southampton: you could go abroad without flying and get a bit of pampering. You would need to check minimum age (some are 6 months, some are 12). DS has done two cruises (17 months and 2.5 years).

chumbler Mon 09-Nov-15 20:39:10

Ooh thanks, will keep it in mind for another time but might be wrong time of year for a cruise?

Junosmum Mon 09-Nov-15 22:46:37

Rome is lovely in January, not too vmcold and very family friendly. UK would likely be cold and damp.

What sort of things do you like?

19lottie82 Tue 10-Nov-15 07:39:58

The canaries in always popular and mild around that time and the flights are only about 3 hours?

MummaGiles Tue 10-Nov-15 07:41:24

Amsterdam seemed surprisingly child friendly. Very flat for pushing a buggy around.

chumbler Tue 10-Nov-15 09:40:21

Oooh some great ideas, Rome would be lovely smile

junosmum I guess that's why we're a bit stuck, usually go for city breaks, lots of sightseeing, so i think we'd like to have lots to do but in a more laid back place now we have baby.

IJustLostTheGame Tue 10-Nov-15 09:53:19

You can still do sightseeing stuff with the baby. You can bung all of your stuff on the buggy and then you don't have to carry it. grin
I got taken round the louvre when 8 months old.

Avoid Venice unless you plan on leaving the buggy behind.

lazylittlelucy Tue 10-Nov-15 10:42:29

I wouldn't go to Rome with a buggy - we went for our honeymoon and were glad 19mo dd wasn't with us. It is an old, old city and not designed for pushchairs and buggies - lack of pavement in many places/lots of steps and cobbled streets, terrible traffic and generally very busy and crowded.
If it was me I would consider the Canaries for a short break with milder weather. Otherwise a cottage in Wales or maybe Brighton - depending on where you live. I have never been to Brighton but have a yearning to visit (live in the North)

IJustLostTheGame Tue 10-Nov-15 10:59:08

Brighton is fantastic but go in the summer, there's a free paddling pool, sandpit and play park on the beach

TwoSmellyDogs Tue 10-Nov-15 11:02:15

Brighton is TERRIBLE in the winter! The wind can lift you off your feet and it's never-ending. Personally I like Venice in February - yes, it's cold in the mornings but the sun breaks through and makes it like an English spring day. No traffic, no cobbles, lots to do and see. Rome would be tricky with a buggy!

FattyNinjaOwl Tue 10-Nov-15 11:02:53

Egypt will be cheap at the minute grin
Sorry not helpful.

chumbler Tue 10-Nov-15 22:43:53

Hmmm so Wales or the canaries!!! I'm not sure dh will go for the canaries as it would be totally culture free I assume? What about bath? Or similar? We are currently in the Midlands so would consider most UK places easy to get to smile

isseywithcats Tue 10-Nov-15 22:49:20

wont be warm but edinburgh is ace the royal mile has loads to do , theres holyrood house and a huge victorian cemetry at the bottom and princess street for shopping a five minute walk away

katemiddletonsothermum Tue 10-Nov-15 22:51:03

Catch the Eurostar to Brussels/Bruges - fab for a city break, very family friendly and lots of young mums /dads with buggies. We even saw a dog in a buggy on the train to Bruges and no one batted an eyelid. The architecture is amazing, everyone speaks English and it's so easy to get around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now