Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this man is Thicky McThicko, Mayor of Thicktown, and I should exact my revenge?

(30 Posts)
PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 14:03:35

This may out me but here goes...

I was asked to work a couple of hours yesterday to finish a report. I usually work about 20 miles from home but was told I could use a hot desk in a building down the road from me that my company rents with another company, and that it would be open all day on a Sunday as a couple of people usually work. It's a small building on an industrial estate.

I went down, got let in by a dainty lady, signed in, found myself a desk in an empty room. 2 hours later (about midday so well before closing time I was told) I left the building to find the large 15ft or so metal gates were locked and I was stuck in the courtyard in the bastard rain. I couldn't get back in as I didn't have a fob, (and dainty who let me in when I got there had clearly forgot about me!)

So I walked round the building to find an escape route but with no luck. No phone number anywhere to call. I tried to call DH to come and rescue me (I REALLY didn't wanna call 101 or fire brigade) but he had no phone signal as was pissing about on some fells with DD.

The building overlooks the back of our local tip, and what luck - there was a man in the offices looking out the window! "My hero" I thought "maybe they know who has the keys for this place or have a very big ladder". So I began to wave in the most distressing way I could. Think arm flailing about manically like a windscreen wiper gone haywire whilst mouthing "HELP!"

What did he do I hear you ask? Did he come over and check I was ok? Call someone who could help? No. he waved back. Then drank from his mug and walked away. I thought he'd maybe have gone somewhere to get help but 20 minutes later and nothing.

Luckily before I was about to call 101 DH rang me after finally receiving many frantic texts. After pissing himself laughing for about 10 mins he got FIL to come with 2 giant ladders so I managed to get out relatively embarrassment free (no one was around that I saw).

So WIBU to visit the tip and push this man into the skip where hard wood lives? And then push Dainty Lady in after him?

holeinmyheart Mon 09-Nov-15 14:15:08

You poor thing.
However, I think you could devise a more imaginative piece of torture for them both, as let's face it you are never going to do it.
Just pushing them in a skip is not going to really punish them enough for the fright you got, is it?

ihatethecold Mon 09-Nov-15 14:15:37

grin
that's funny

Glad you got out........eventually!

PinkSlipperQueen Mon 09-Nov-15 14:16:02

Yes. Make them pay. What total idiots. Poor you flowers

GruntledOne Mon 09-Nov-15 14:16:24

You would totally NBU. Do it.

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Mon 09-Nov-15 14:23:35

Oh that's so funny, sorry OP. And a bit sweet that he thought you were enthusiastically waving like you're a toddler or something.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Mon 09-Nov-15 14:34:12

Glitterbomb letter to each of them. Morons.

MerryMarigold Mon 09-Nov-15 14:35:21

I would get some compensation from work like a day off in lieu

Brioche201 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:35:38

I think you are blaming the wrong person.Surely it was Ms Dainty's fault?

PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 14:41:17

Brioche I'm in work today and told my manager. Although she tried to surpress a giggle (I do see the funny side now, although at the time I was picturing having to do a Shawshank style escape) she has contacted the building manager to let them know one of their staff is total fuckwit perhaps needing training in checking a building before you leave it!

AlpacaPicnic Mon 09-Nov-15 14:41:53

I would be totally bringing that up in a passive-agressive 'you may need to review your procedures' kind of way but kicking up a bit of a stink...

And waving-back man can be cursed with an unreachable itch on his back...

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 09-Nov-15 14:44:31

pmsl. He's not the thicko though. Sorry!

Scremersford Mon 09-Nov-15 14:46:57

Men who work at tips never ever do anything but sit in offices and drink tea. I suspect its actually a rule of their employment.

PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 14:59:07

Scremesford grin

Merry I'm getting half a day off in lieu next week for the time I was there luckily, as well as overtime

derxa Mon 09-Nov-15 15:19:00

One day this year I was taking a sheep trailer and jeep to market. It was a place I wasn't too familiar with and I turned left too quickly. I landed up in a cul de sac occupied by a warehouse. I am hopeless at turning the trailer and couldn't turn round. Went into the warehouse and found a man. I asked him to help me turn the trailer round. He got into the jeep but kept stalling it. He said, 'I can't drive- I get here by push bike!' Eventually turned the thing myself. Except he could have unlocked a padlocked gate and let me drive straight through. I guess I was Mrs McThicky but him..?
Anyway Piper Your story made me laugh on a wet Monday.

StayWithMe Mon 09-Nov-15 15:41:10

she has contacted the building manager and the two of them roared laughing down the phone to let them know one of their staff is total fuckwit perhaps needing training in checking a building before you leave it

Fixed that for you OP. grin

Gruntfuttock Mon 09-Nov-15 15:44:40

I think you should go and shout at speak to dainty lady. I would.

PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 16:03:59

Oh Lordy.

My boss has been in after laughing with talking to building manager. Apparently they are treating it as a "serious incident" and I need to give a statement shock it seems Dainty had the keys and didn't do a sweep of the building before she left, and she now could be disciplined for not following lone working protocols confused

I feel rather bad now

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 09-Nov-15 16:07:12

She shouldn't have left you in there. It's a serious breach, and the building manager would have been left to try and fight liability.

She must have broken so many health and safety rules, as well as lone working protocols and general common sense.

Gruntfuttock Mon 09-Nov-15 16:07:28

Quite right too. She deserves it. She should also send you a case of wine and a Christmas hamper (the most expensive) from Fortnums and an enormous bouquet. Don't you agree?

Epilepsyhelp Mon 09-Nov-15 16:08:16

How did the poor guy with the tea get all the blame?!? He clearly wasn't fluent in 'desperate-dancing-about-in-the-rain-made -up-semaphore'!!

Don't fee bad about dainty, definitely her fault and retraining needed, what if you hadn't had mobile signal?!

diddl Mon 09-Nov-15 16:09:58

Why the hell do you feel bad?

You signed in FFS!!!

Sorry but my husband was once locked in somewhere overnight.

Fortunately he had access to toilets & water.

No phone.

Thank the fuck he didn't need to get to medication!

CatThiefKeith Mon 09-Nov-15 16:10:14

I used to run a 2 storey nightclub op, an my deputy manager went home once oblivious to the fact that someone was stuck in the lift. The cleaners phoned me at 6am to tell me that someone was in there, stuck between floors! shock

CatThiefKeith Mon 09-Nov-15 16:11:34

Posted too soon.... They sued and got 10k, but they were in there for four hours!

PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 16:11:42

Grunt I know you're right and I'd never argue against getting a hamper grin but I'm just a soft arse! Manager telling me not to feel bad as if there was a fire etc I'd have been screwed.

Elilepsy I accept that some people like dainty make massive cock ups but what did he think I was doing behind metal gates waving like a loon! At least I can laugh about it now (bar Dainty possibly being sacked!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now