Talk

Advanced search

To ask about email etiquette.

(11 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 09-Nov-15 13:38:00

Or maybe WWYD?

In my junk box was an email saying

Dear, (no name here)

Your invoices 1234 and 1235 are still outstanding.

Please can you tell us when they will be paid?

From a company in york. Providing industrial repairs.

Nothing to do with me. I am not in any industry and haven't been to york for about 10 years.

I know there are many scams around that send similar junk. But this looks like a real company. Or at least, they have a nice website.

Do I reply, so they know they have made a mistake (probably a typo in email address)

Or leave it, in case it's another blooming scam?

Leafitout Mon 09-Nov-15 13:42:50

Do not reply or click on any link on the email. These are spam and may course a virus to gain your details. Delete delete delete them

TheHouseOnTheLane Mon 09-Nov-15 13:43:42

Just ignore. It's a scam. In some cases, even opening the email can give a virus.

Freeyourmind Mon 09-Nov-15 13:46:30

I ignored, our company has received that e-mail 3 times today to different e-mail addresses. I looked them up too just in case but didn't open the attachment. Seems like they are a real company. Maybe their e-mail has been hacked?

munkisocks Mon 09-Nov-15 13:48:00

If you did recognise the company I'd respond to them to ask them to change their contact as it's wrong. If not delete it and inform your management, it might be a known scam to them. See if anyone else in your office has it too.

wasonthelist Mon 09-Nov-15 13:50:36

I wouldn't bother. Some total tossers in the USA keep sending me stuff meant for a namesake of mine - these are genuine business e-mails. After doing the polite thing (and being thanked previously) a number of time I gently opined they might wish to take more care, the woman who sends most of them said I was being a jerk. No good deed shall go unpunished. I have now blacklisted her so anything she sends goes straight to delete. I do forward all the stuff from the VW garage in Utah meant for my namesake to her now though.

catfordbetty Mon 09-Nov-15 13:51:25

You could google the company name to see it it's real. If you can be bothered that is - I'd just delete it.

DieRosen Mon 09-Nov-15 13:52:07

Someone where I work clicked on one of these (from a very well known and reputable company, supposedly, they had the logo and everything) and all our word documents were encrypted. They demanded a 'ransom' to un-encrypt them angry. Delete it immediately.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 09-Nov-15 15:13:56

Thanks. Going for the delete now...

SevenOfNineTrue Mon 09-Nov-15 15:16:27

These emails are a scam that will infect your device. Block the email address and delete.

ImperialBlether Mon 09-Nov-15 15:21:20

Hover your mouse over their email address - if it's a scam it will have a different email address to the one that shows up in your Inbox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now