Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if this sounds like excessive anxiety, and if so how do I deal with it?

(4 Posts)
mummyrunnerbean Mon 09-Nov-15 12:24:47

I think this is probably not right, but has sort of crept up on me so I think I need some outside perspectives:

Basically, every time dh drives me I spend the entire trip squeaking in terror unless I'm constantly distracted. I'm forever asking him to slow down, wincing because I feel like we're going to hit the curb, things like that. I decide to control it at the start of a trip but before long it just takes over. I imagine it's very irritating - certainly it would drive me batty if he did it while I drove.

It started while I was pregnant - DS is now 15 months and while sometimes it's better than others it never properly goes. DH is actually a pretty good driver. He's in the police and has done the advanced driving course for blue lights. He doesn't speed more than most people do - as in he might occasionally do nearly 70 to keep up with traffic on a duel carriageway marked 60.

When I'm driving I feel fine, and go much faster than I'm comfortable with him going - but when I'm in the passenger seat I'm just a bundle of nerves, even though I know it's ludicrous. Does it sounds like I might have anxiety? And is there anything I can do before DH murders me for being the most irritating backseat driver ever?

JeffsanArsehole Mon 09-Nov-15 12:30:23

No, it sounds like you're a control freak like me grin

It's very difficult for some to not be in control of events and I can't bear being driven by other people.

Yes, it makes it shit for the driver. No, I'm not going to change and instead I just drive myself as much as possible. I'm very apologetic to poor dh, his driving is fine.

TheHouseOnTheLane Mon 09-Nov-15 12:31:46

Anxiety would affect more aspects of your life OP. I've been the same since having children. I am always telling DH off.

MaidOfStars Mon 09-Nov-15 12:32:48

I'm the same. Husband gets very annoyed.

I'm not even a cautious driver myself. He's far more careful. I just secretly believe I'm better hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now