Talk

Advanced search

To feel hopeless

(7 Posts)
FlowersAndShit Sun 08-Nov-15 21:35:22

I'm 25 and have had long term MH issues since I was 13. I've never had a job, apart from a paper round when I was 12 and a saturday job at a shop when I was 13 which lasted 3 days and was a traumatic experience.

I'm hoping to get a job soon when I feel able, but I feel like I don't stand a chance. I have an OU degree but no gcse's or a-levels.

The constant rejection would likely make my MH issues worse and if I manage to get to the interview, I'll probably have to disclose all my MH problems and Autism and try to explain my lack of employment. It's just so frustrating and I feel like I should go live in a cave or something, because I'm not good enough for anything.

southeastastra Sun 08-Nov-15 21:36:42

of course there is something you can do, what do you really like, what is your passion?

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sun 08-Nov-15 21:38:25

Deep breaths.

You're catastrophising before you've even started your job search.

You have a degree so anything under that doesn't Really get looked at

Apply for something to get you amongst people to begin with and get you used to working and into a routine then build from there.

If it helps, do some volunteering

Working/volunteering is proven to help with MH issues

flowers

Sparklingbrook Sun 08-Nov-15 21:44:44

Absolutely look to do some volunteering. It's good on the CV and will help your confidence.

What sort of things interest you?

FlowersAndShit Mon 09-Nov-15 09:05:43

I'd love to help out at local animal shelter but there's already loads of volunteers there. I really like cooking and baking too

Sparklingbrook Mon 09-Nov-15 09:09:39

How about volunteer dog walking? The Cinnamon Trust are often looking for volunteers to walk dogs who's owners can't.

Hospices are often looking for volunteers. Not necessarily directly with the patients but office/admin work etc.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 09-Nov-15 09:13:10

My dd is being assessed for autism and we were told that as an adult she can choose whether or not to keep the 'label' of being autistic, you absolutely do not have to disclose that to anyone if you don't feel comfortable doing that.

I agree that volunteering would be an excellent start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now