Talk

Advanced search

To go to the doctors because of this?

(19 Posts)
Funkymusic Sun 08-Nov-15 20:11:58

I really dont want to waste doctors time but a few people have said this is not normal.

I keep waking up with numb arms and legs and strangely my tongue! I didnt really think much of this but after reactions when ive mentioned it im thinking should i go doctors? Dont want to be laughed out if its normal. I should add that they dont stay numb for long kind of as soon as i move it goes and i sleep on my back so not laying awkward.

specialsubject Sun 08-Nov-15 20:52:49

no, not normal. Trapped nerve or something at a total guess, but get it checked.

londonrach Sun 08-Nov-15 20:55:49

Nope not normal see doctor. Xx

ScarlettDarling Sun 08-Nov-15 20:55:51

The tongue is weird!

A numb/ pins and needle sensation in arm when in bed was the first thing my mum noticed before being diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

She now has a splint to wear in bed and it really helps.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sun 08-Nov-15 20:55:59

Get it checked out.

AlwaysHope1 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:59:37

Yanbu, go get it checked out.

DickDewy Sun 08-Nov-15 21:01:36

I wake up with numb hands and have done for years, but if it was my tongue, I would check it out with the gp.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 08-Nov-15 21:01:42

I had neck pain and pins and needles for a few weeks before going to the gps. Now 8 weeks on its still agony and the strength is gradually going. Never ignore anything like this.

Funkymusic Sun 08-Nov-15 21:14:43

The thing is though its not every single night but 90% of time its kind of like my brain wakes ups before my body and then as soon as i go to move im ok.

ragged Sun 08-Nov-15 21:22:56

What do you mean by "numb"?

Our body is paralysed while we sleep so that we don't thrash about during dreams. Sometimes people wake up & the paralysis is still there & noticeable for a moment before we fully wake up. Is that what you're actually experiencing?

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 08-Nov-15 21:23:56

Ask for the dr to phone you

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sun 08-Nov-15 21:28:31

Sounds like a hemiplegic migraine

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sun 08-Nov-15 21:31:30

Also sounds like sleep paralysis which happens usually if you're getting an irregular sleeping pattern

budgiegirl Sun 08-Nov-15 21:34:32

Go to the doctor, they won't laugh!

I kept getting tingly, numb fingers and toes, plus a wierd sensation of tingling across my back, like someone was running fingers lightly across me. I felt very daft going to the doctor, but she sent me for blood tests and it turns out I had a folic acid deficiency.

Funkymusic Sun 08-Nov-15 21:49:00

Ah that makes sense about the sleep paralysis. I am often woken throughout the night so do have irregular sleep. It isnt really pins and needles it is like i cant move until my body catches up with my brainwhich include moving my tongue its quite strange.

Schrodingersmum Sun 08-Nov-15 23:06:23

Ask to have your B12 levels checked urgently, these are signs of pernicious anaemia

yeOldeTrout Mon 09-Nov-15 09:14:29

Hard to see how this could be some kind of anaemia when the only symptom only presents itself right after sleep and there is another plausible explanation.

Psycobabble Mon 09-Nov-15 09:17:20

If it only lasts a few seconds then ok then it sound like sleep paralysis which is very common have a look on google

I'd still check with ye doc though they won't laugh at you and it's always best to check !

Schrodingersmum Tue 10-Nov-15 09:14:56

Yeolde. Are you qualified? I am and paresthesia or stocking and glove numbness and tingling is a classic sign actually of pernicious anaemia which I suffer from! Before treatment It affected the tip of my nose and tongue, can also be a sign of MS and is due to peripheral nerve damage which is entirely plausible.

Classic underlying conditions are diabetes, coeliac disease, crohns etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now