Talk

Advanced search

To think that riding side-saddle must be more athletic than riding astride?

(13 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 08-Nov-15 19:21:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffy24 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:24:57

I've never tried it but I understood it was actually 'easier' than astride because of the way you are held into the saddle (especially the way the left knee is wedged).

Willing to be corrected by any side-saddlists though...

imonaplane Sun 08-Nov-15 19:26:53

It's actually not that difficult. You have a special saddle which has a big post on it to wrap your right leg over - it does feel safe when you're on.

sparechange Sun 08-Nov-15 19:27:11

A side saddle saddle is pretty secure and wedges you in quit securely. It is a technique that needs to be mastered, but it isn't miles tougher
A bit like snowboarding vs skiing

trollkonor Sun 08-Nov-15 19:27:40

I tried it a few times and hated it, it's a whole different balancing process. With front facing you kinda hang your legs like weights and dont grip on with the knees. Then again I didna couple of summmers in the USA doing Western style that took some getting used to.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 08-Nov-15 19:54:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hygellig Sun 08-Nov-15 20:07:19

I've never tried it but wonder if it is more uncomfortable for the horse, as the rider's weight would presumably be less evenly distributed? I can't imagine jumping like that - I'd be petrified!

Littlegreyauditor Sun 08-Nov-15 20:13:07

I've tried it and utterly hated it, I'd much rather have a leg on each side. I'm not sure it's more athletic, I suppose it depends on what you do whilst on board. My friend shows her horses side saddle and looks charming and elegant dong it, but then again she likes to glide about looking unruffled whereas I am incapable of elegance in all aspects of life. grin

Littlegreyauditor Sun 08-Nov-15 20:14:46

Agree with the skiing/snowboarding comparison BTW. Tried both, hated snowboarding, love skiing and am fairly competent.

Maybe I just like my legs independent?

TwatByName Sun 08-Nov-15 20:15:58

Well I haven't truly rode side saddle, but when much much yonger we use to throw a stirrup over the top off the saddle and prat about riding side saddle like that, looking back it was pretty dangerous and stupid, but it wasn't anymore athletic as normal riding. You use your core muscles a lot, when riding properly anyway.

pointythings Sun 08-Nov-15 22:15:42

I've done some side saddle, including basic jumping and it is surprising how easy and comfortable it is. I'd say it is less athletic and less of an effort than astride, having done more advanced dressage astride - there is no way in hell you would manage the more advanced moves side saddle, never mind serious stuff like piaffe - all of which involve major cues with both legs from the rider. My sister does advanced dressage and she always comes off the horse sweating harder than the horse has done - and of course while she's doing it, it looks as if she's doing nothing at all.

Classical dressage has evolved from the moves needed for mounted battle - making your hose move sideways, pivot, back and move in place ready for evasive manoeuvres. You don't see side saddle on the battlefield for very good reasons.

StarkyTheDirewolf Sun 08-Nov-15 22:54:29

My Dsis would kill for a side saddle for sideways dressage. She's got no chance though, they cost a fortune apparently and the horse costs enough as it is, and is Spanish and can be temperamental as balls, she'd end up thrown in a ditch somewhere three foot from the arena!

Pixel Sun 08-Nov-15 23:08:43

I've always wanted to try it. I've read that it feels very secure and that it's actually better if you are on a strong horse because you can brace the reins across your knee and avoid being pulled forwards. Also harder to be bucked off I imagine although pretty dangerous if the horse rears and goes over as would you be able to slip off if you had to?
I'd jump at the chance of having a go but I could never afford to take it up as a saddle would cost thousands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now