Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to have slapped his face?

(330 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BMW6 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:00:43

This afternoon a man (mid fifties) in the street said to me "excuse me darlin' but can I tell you you've got really impressive tits"

Without any thought I slapped his face and gave him a raging dressing down - he just stood there stunned looking and mumbled "sorry darlin'" (which enraged me all the more)

I am conflicted - part of me is horrified that I reacted violently, the other part is still fuming and kind of glad I slapped him.

Did I over-react?

blush but also grin

Candleabras Sun 08-Nov-15 19:03:35

At my age my dear I would have kissed him!

No I wouldn't have slapped his face if he didn't touch me, but I would have given him a dressing down

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 08-Nov-15 19:04:07

Yes, that's assault.

Shockers Sun 08-Nov-15 19:04:18

Were you in the Newcastle area? Did he have the accent of the South?

I know of a man twat with a similar turn of phrase.

AlwaysHope1 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:05:26

Yes you assaulted him! Are you really asking whether you were unreasonable??

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 08-Nov-15 19:06:19

Yes of course you shouldn't have slapped him, you could have been arrested. He didn't touch you, you acted violently to a stranger without justification.

GinAndSonic Sun 08-Nov-15 19:06:47

It was naughty but I can't say Im surprised you slapped him. I usually go with something along the lines of "fuck off".

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 08-Nov-15 19:07:13

YABU to hit anyone. He was a vulgar asshole but I don't think you won anyone moral high ground

AliceInUnderpants Sun 08-Nov-15 19:07:42

Yes you were unreasonable to slap him. That's assault. I can't say I wouldn't do the same, mind.

WorraLiberty Sun 08-Nov-15 19:08:14

It's certainly nothing for either of you to be proud of.

Some people would have thought nothing of punching you straight in the mouth.

DotForShort Sun 08-Nov-15 19:08:42

Er, yes of course YWBU. Did you really need to ask?

I quite understand the temptation, but to give in to that temptation is rather appalling.

Maybe83 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:09:32

Yes you were completely unreasonable

Gottagetmoving Sun 08-Nov-15 19:09:55

YABVU!
Total over reaction to assault someone for saying something, whether it was appropriate or not.

HedgehogAtHome Sun 08-Nov-15 19:09:54

Gosh I'm torn.

I hate the idea of assaulting someone for a verbal comment.

But, when you ignore or just tell off idiots like this they just laugh and do it again to someone else. Who the fuck goes up to someone and comments on their breasts? If he'd went up to a bloke and said 'I bet your penis is a funny shape' or whatever he'd have got more than a slap, possibly why men don't suffer from street harassment.

Bah. On the fence and I probably shouldn't be.

velourvoyageur Sun 08-Nov-15 19:11:08

oh christ, I know I shouldn't but I almost feel a tiny bit sorry for him, I can just imagine him thinking he's being nice and then being crestfallen, and he apologised so he's probably just not very bright.

But of course he should realise that it's inappropriate and likely to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I sometimes want to tell strangers I think they've got lovely hair or skin but don't want to be creepy! So hold the compliments in.

VashtaNerada Sun 08-Nov-15 19:11:54

Well. Of course nobody should go around hitting anybody. But it's such a vile thing to say and I'd be so shocked if a stranger said that to me, I can't honestly say what I'd do in response. Hopefully he'll think twice next time!

Narp Sun 08-Nov-15 19:12:54

Well, you sort of assaulted him, but I can't bring myself to feel very sorry for him

TheBunnyOfDoom Sun 08-Nov-15 19:13:12

I think you're pretty lucky he didn't smack you back, tbh.

firefly78 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:14:21

well i think fair play to you tbh.

PrincessMouse Sun 08-Nov-15 19:14:30

Yes, you assaulted him. Give him a verbal dressing down for been a complete arse but hitting unless you have no other option in cases of self defence someone because you lose control is unacceptable.

BolshierAryaStark Sun 08-Nov-15 19:14:47

Oh dear, of course YABU, he didn't touch you so your behaviour is, quite frankly, disgraceful. Count yourself lucky he didn't give you a slap back hey?

Doobigetta Sun 08-Nov-15 19:15:08

I can't get worked up about this, he deserved it.

Katedotness1963 Sun 08-Nov-15 19:15:13

The dressing down is one thing, assaulting him went too far!

MrRobot Sun 08-Nov-15 19:15:35

You assaulted him, and not 'sort of' either.

CuntryLiving Sun 08-Nov-15 19:16:15

Well it'll make him think twice (well, once) in future. Obviously it's not ok to slap someone though even if it is richly deserved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now