Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that school should have given my son a different certificate?

(102 Posts)
notenoughbottle Sun 08-Nov-15 18:18:27

I'm probably being a bit U over this but my son has some minor additional needs, including Dyslexia and tries really hard at school despite a wandering concentration... I was a bit surprised to see this certificate he was sent home with. They have crossed out excellent and written good above the crossed out word. WTF?! Surely it should have just been sent out with the original wording. Even my son commented on it! To be fair school are normally pretty good so no complaint there but I thought this was well, just a bit odd?!

FuzzyWizard Sun 08-Nov-15 18:21:57

I cannot for the life of me think of a single good reason for doing that. If the school are otherwise good then I would let it slide though. I agree it's odd though.

CluckingBelle Sun 08-Nov-15 18:22:41

That was a bit unneccessary! The certificate was fine just as it is, surely they are rewarding effort as much as attainment?
I would be having a quiet word.

ChiefInspectorBarnaby Sun 08-Nov-15 18:26:15

I think that's a shitty thing to do on a certificate.

Floggingmolly Sun 08-Nov-15 18:27:27

That's bloody awful shock. What miserable toad thought that was appropriate?

Only1scoop Sun 08-Nov-15 18:28:21

Blimey that's beyond shoddy.

FatalFemme Sun 08-Nov-15 18:29:43

Well that's just downright mean.

GiraffesAndButterflies Sun 08-Nov-15 18:30:51

Talk about damned with faint praise. Miserable sods. I'd want to send them a Christmas card saying "Thank you for your excellent good support of DS this year." But that would be extremely petty grin

LottieDoubtie Sun 08-Nov-15 18:31:06

That's nasty I would raise it with the school tbh and I am generally the first to support a school on MN!

millefeuille1 Sun 08-Nov-15 18:31:10

I think that is awful, and I would be having a word. How on earth does that make him feel?

CarlaJones Sun 08-Nov-15 18:32:08

I agree that's a bit crap to do that.

thebestfurchinchilla Sun 08-Nov-15 18:32:09

YANBU

tibbawyrots Sun 08-Nov-15 18:32:51

That is mean.

OddBoots Sun 08-Nov-15 18:33:11

YANBU, thank is at best thoughtless and at worst mean.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 08-Nov-15 18:33:57

that's mean sad

Mistigri Sun 08-Nov-15 18:35:18

It takes a fair bit for me to have a moan (have yet to whine about DS not having had a history lesson for a month...) - but I think that would definitely get a comment from me.

I might even send it back with a written note suggesting that damning with faint praise is worse than no praise at all.

SolsburyHell Sun 08-Nov-15 18:36:07

Do what Giraffes saidgrin

notenoughbottle Sun 08-Nov-15 18:41:29

Thank You. I did think maybe it was just me but you're comments being agreeable with my opinions on it have reassured me otherwise. My son is normally quite blasé about a lot of things, he has some ASD traits (waiting for cahms assessment) but he picked up on this (but has luckily brushed it off). It's just a bit crap really isn't it?! Am pondering whether to say something but I'm in school quite a bit over various issues so not sure. Although... I'm not sure if I'm starting to see the light a bit over certain things. If someone is happy for me to see this then what is happening in school...

Mistigri Sun 08-Nov-15 18:42:08

I honestly think this is a shitty enough thing to do that it merits being put in envelope with a post-it on saying "please don't bother in future" and sent straight back.

notenoughbottle Sun 08-Nov-15 18:42:34

Good idea giraffes.. Maybe I will tippex and then write over to leave them wondering!

BikeRunSki Sun 08-Nov-15 18:47:20

That is appalling! Do you think it was a draft the teacher was meant to give to someone to type up and print?

RockinHippy Sun 08-Nov-15 18:48:19

Wow, very shoddy indeedshock

I wouldn't care how good the school usually are, there's no doubt that somebody needs pulling up on this & reminding that it's inexcusably shoddy, I would definitely mention it

GiraffesAndButterflies Sun 08-Nov-15 18:49:27

I'm getting carried away now, but better still might be
"Have a Happy Mediocre Christmas"

fgrin

itsmeohlord Sun 08-Nov-15 18:50:43

Couldn't the school have printed a certificate with good on it rather than crossing out the excellent, if they wanted to say "good".

Otherwise he should have had the cerftificate as it was!

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 08-Nov-15 18:51:58

That is unplesant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now